hindustani24

My experience with W7 process to get ITIN without using passport

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Just wanted to share my experience because I have read numeral times as to the reason why petitioner choose to file "single" and not "married filing jointly" is because they do not want to have their spouses mail their passport to US as it can result in a passport being lost. I was facing the same dilemma because I did not have her passport with me here and getting a certified copy or notarized + appostile in her country was too much hassle. Then I figured from the instruction of W7 that Passport is not the only supporting document. See the link:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport), you do not need to submit any other documents. Otherwise, you must submit at least two of the documents listed below. The documents must be current*, verify your identity (that is, contain your name).... and there is a list of supporting documents that you can send such as drivers license, birth certificate, voter id, etc...

Last time I came back, I took my wife's birth certificate with me as I needed that for DS-230 and then I also told my wife to mail me the voter id because losing a voter id in mail is better than losing a passport. I took both original to my bank and got them notarized and sent them with my W7 on March 5th with my return and today I already got her ITIN number in the mail (in just 2 weeks) :dance::thumbs: . Now just waiting to see a big fat deposit in my bank account :dance: and filing return jointly would also help during her interview at the embassy.

Edited by hindustani24

I am almost out of TSC blackhole.

Marriage : 2010-06-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-07-14

Transferred to Blackhole : 2010-11-02

NOA2 : Feb 15, 2011

NVC:

2/25/11 - received case number, IIN, and gave e-mail IDs.

2/25/11 - Send DS-3032 E-mail

2/28/11 - I-864 (AOS) bill invoiced and paid

3/01/11 - AOS payment status "PAID"

3/02/11 - DS-3032 : Email accepted

3/04/11 - IV bill invoiced (e-mail at 2:30 AM) and paid

3/07/11 - IV payment status "PAID"

3/08/11 - AOS and IV packet sent

3/22/11 - AOS in the system and reviewed that triggered false RFE for IV packet

3/28/11 - DS-230 in the system and SIF

3/29/11 - Case Completed at NVC

4/13/11 - Interview date assigned

5/17/11 - Interview- Approved

5/18/11 - Passport & Visa Picked up from VFS Delhi

5/31/11 - POE (JFK)

visajourney.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Really glad you posted your experience--I read the instructions the same way, but everyone said NO NO NO--it won't work, so I had put off the whole thing and filed for an extension while I figured things out. Now I know for sure that I not only can read, but others can't. Thank you again. VERY helpful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

I sent in a copy of my wifes passport that was notarized...

I had pictured copyof passport, A certified text document of the passport.. It was notarized and translated.......

Edited by darkdancer333

• 11 months later...
Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Just wanted to share my experience because I have read numeral times as to the reason why petitioner choose to file "single" and not "married filing jointly" is because they do not want to have their spouses mail their passport to US as it can result in a passport being lost. I was facing the same dilemma because I did not have her passport with me here and getting a certified copy or notarized + appostile in her country was too much hassle. Then I figured from the instruction of W7 that Passport is not the only supporting document. See the link:

If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport), you do not need to submit any other documents. Otherwise, you must submit at least two of the documents listed below. The documents must be current*, verify your identity (that is, contain your name).... and there is a list of supporting documents that you can send such as drivers license, birth certificate, voter id, etc...

Last time I came back, I took my wife's birth certificate with me as I needed that for DS-230 and then I also told my wife to mail me the voter id because losing a voter id in mail is better than losing a passport. I took both original to my bank and got them notarized and sent them with my W7 on March 5th with my return and today I already got her ITIN number in the mail (in just 2 weeks) :dance::thumbs: . Now just waiting to see a big fat deposit in my bank account :dance: and filing return jointly would also help during her interview at the embassy.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am doing the same thing... fingers crossed.

A H&R block reperesentative I talked with discouraged this approach and said you need a notarized copy of the passport. It seems he has had 9/10 applications rejected previously.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

This is Great! I also sent mine on March 5th, so I should be getting mine anytime soon. I sent a copy of the passport notarized by a US notary.

This is nice to read. Thanks for sharing :-)

USCIS
July 15, 2011 - NOA 1, Jan 24, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC
Feb 8, 2012 - NVC # & Invoice ID # Received
Feb 8, 2012 - Emailed NVC DS-3032 ( choice of agent ) Accepted!
Feb 9, 2012 - AOS Fee Paid
Feb 10, 2012 - AOS bill shows Paid :-)
Feb 10, 2012 - IV bill Paid (In Process)
Feb 14, 2012 - IV bill shows In Process, Fee was withdrawn from Bank Account. So,is PAID :-)
Feb 14, 2012 - IV bill shows Paid.
Feb 17, 2012 - AOS and IV Packages Sent to NVC, same envelope :-)
Feb 21, 2012 - AOS and IV Packages RECEIVED by NVC
Feb 24, 2012 - AOS Accepted.
Feb 24, 2012 - IV RFE "Original Marriage Certificate" It was included. Waiting for supervisor to review Marriage Certificate (10 - 15 days)
Mar 20, 2012 - RFE Sent
Mar 22, 2012 - CASE COMPLETE

Embassy ~ New Delhi
April 10, 2012 - Received Email, Interview Date: May 9th! Yeeey!
April 16, 2012 - Medical Exam
May 09, 2012 - INTERVIEW = AP
Jul 03, 2012 - Called DoS AP OVER, VFS's website says passport was handed over to Blue Dart, Waiting for delivery :-)

Jul 06, 2012 - VISA IN HAND (Visa was issued on July 2nd)

POE
Jul 17, 2012 - SAN DIEGO

July 28, 2012 - Welcome Letter Received
July 31, 2012 - Green Card Received
Aug. 01, 2012 - Applied for SSN
Aug. 07, 2012 - Received SSN Card :-) yeeeeeeey! Time to look for a job!

ROC I-751

May 08, 2014 - Sent I-751 to CSC

May 14, 2014 - NOA Received (Dated: 5/09/2014)

May 14, 2014 - Check Cashed

June 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appt.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks for sharing.

A consultant from H&R Block did the same thing when my wife consulted them and she was advised to file as "Single".

After reading the posts on VJ forums I asked her to confirm directly with IRS and then she was told she had to file either "married filing separately" or "married filing jointly".

I sent her a copy of my passport along with W-7 form to apply for ITIN but it is not notarized. Now the questions which arise are:

1. Do I need to send her a notarized copy again or can she just get it notarized from any notary public / authority in the states?

2. They told her that she needs to submit an original W-7 form (completed and signed). Since she works second shift (3:00PM to 12:00AM) I could not send the documents through courier as there would be nobody at home to sign and receive. I sent by registered post last week and she still has not received. Can I scan and mail to her a copy of original (completed and signed) W-7 instead? Will it be acceptable?

3. She filed her federal taxes back in January and received the returns in February. She was going to file for state taxes when we found out that we were done in by H&R Block (curse them). Will my wife have to apply for an extension?

Married: 12/01/2011
USCIS Stage:
I-130 sent: 12/29/2011 NOA1: 01/03/2012 NOA2: 09/24/2012 (Text and website) - 09/28/2012 (In mail) <265 days to approval from NOA1 date>
I-129F sent: 01/14/2012 NOA1: 01/18/2012 NOA2: 09/27/2012 (Withdrawn)
RFE: 08/13/2012 "Proof of Bona Fide marital relationship". (Took them 7 months, 1 week and 4 days to send an RFE).
RFE Responce received by CSC-USCIS on 09/07/2012.
NVC Stage:
NVC Received: 10/09/2012
NVC issued Case #, IIN and BIN: 10/10/2012
IV Package Received at NVC: 12/03/2012

EMBASSY STAGE:
interview March 20, 2013 : results AP (sent in paperwork for co-sponsor received 4-20-2013)

Issued: September 30, 2013

POE: Raleigh-Durham International Airport, NC @ 10-17-2013 (Easy entry, pleasant experience).

Removal of Conditions on Residence:

Filed: August 14, 2015 - VSC

NOA1: 08/19/2015

Date of Decision: 06-03-2013

Letter of Approval received: 06-09-2016

Green Card received: 07-15-2016

Naturlization N-400:

Filed: September 16, 2019

Biometrics: October 9, 2019

Interview: August 24, 2020

Approval: Approved and received Naturalization Certificate same day.

Edited by giantkoolit2011

Hello!

It's a very informative.

My question is...is it required to file as "married filing jointly" or has a choice to file as "single". What are the benefits of both filing? Is it true that the beneficiary should submit W-7?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Just wanted to ask if any of the above had found out if the notarized copy of the passport was accepted or not.

We just went to the IRS office here and was told the ONLY way is to mail the original passport to the IRS.

Its a bit of an issue for us because the I-94 expires in less than two months and they said it could take up to two months to finish and return the passport.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

FangFang - is possible that the IRS office will accept the tax return submittal with the w-7, but you have to talk with the site supervisor.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

The notarized copy of the passport is NOT ACCEPTABLE anymore as of the 2012 filing year.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I'm going to try returning tomorrow and asking to speak with the site supervisor. Wouldn't understand why someone at the office couldn't verify the passport and let us leave them with a signed statement on a photocopy of the passport. But I know many of these procedures are hard to understand haha...

If that doesn't work then we are stuck with a hard choice.

1. Don't file a joint return.

2. File a joint return and risk the passport not arriving back in time.

We are filing for AOS and will submit the paperwork early next week. Not sure but I think next we would need to have the passport for the biometrics appointment. I guess to be extra prepared we will take the passport tomorrow and get a state-issued ID card for back-up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.