KayaEel

Stepchildren: Some Questions & Answers

24 posts in this topic

It was requested with my kids IV application.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Honduras
Timeline

My wife and I are considering adopting her niece, she is 9 years old and is from Honduras. She is my wife's younger sisters daughter, she was never married to the girls father, he abandoned them but would be willing to release his custody and so would she. Does anyone know if, under these circumstances, she would be eligible to emigrate to the us? Please help us .

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

can child travel alone ? when the visa is approved can my stepdaughter enter the POE alone ... do we need special permision with that to eneter??

I appreciate having access to the valuable information available on the VJ website. Words cannot express how grateful I am to those who have come before us and shared their experiences. I am writing these questions and answers, because it seems like there is a lack of information specifically related to immigrating step-children on the VJ site. These questions only relate to an IR2/CR2 Visa case for a step-child under the age of 16 who was conceived in wedlock. If anyone has information on immigrating with step-children who were conceived outside of wedlock (DNA testing may be required), cases for step-children over 16 years old at the time of marriage to USC, or has anything to add, please feel free to include here in a reply. Due to a number of differences, information related to adopted children should be saved under a separate post or area on VJ. My hope is that this information helps others to bring their families back together just as soon as possible.

Some Questions & Answers related to Immigrating Step-Children

Q1. I am a USC/Legal Permanent Resident who just married someone from another country (Immigrating Spouse), and they have children from a previous marriage. These children were all under age 16 years when we got married. Can they immigrate with my spouse?

A1. Yes, as long as your spouse has full custody AND is allowed to take the children outside of their home country to live; OR the other biological parent is willing to write/sign a statement allowing the children to immigrate to the U.S. See question #6 below for more information on this, and see attached for a parental consent template.

Q2. Do I need to file more than one I-130 Petition for Alien Relative? If so, do I need to pay more than one petition fee (currently $355)?

A2. Yes, you need to file a separate I-130 Petition for your spouse, and another one for each child. A separate fee (currently $355) is due for each I-130 Petition filed.

Q3. My step-children are minors. Who signs their G-325A Biographic Information and DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa?

A3. According to NVC operators, their immigrating biological parent (spouse of the USC) can sign the USCIS and NVC forms for their children.

Q4. At the NVC stage, do I need to make separate AOS and IV payments for my spouse and each immigrating child?

A4. Since you will be filing I-864’s Affidavits of Support for related cases, the NVC only requires one AOS payment (currently $70). However, you will need to make separate IV payments (currently $400 each) for your spouse and each immigrating child, and complete a separate DS-230 Application for each individual.

Q5. When completing the DS-230 Application, the instructions say to include an Original Marriage Certificate. Do I need to include two original marriage certificates, i.e. one with my spouse’s DS-230 Application and another one with my child’s DS-230 Application?

A5. No, an Original Marriage Certificate is only required with your spouse’s DS-230 Application.

Q6. The NVC is asking for custody documentation with the DS-230 Application. Since my spouse does not have sole custody with the ability to take the child outside of the country, do we need to get a statement showing parental consent from my spouse’s ex, the other biological parent of my step-child? If so, what needs to be included in a declaration like this?

A6. This parental consent statement is like a spousal affidavit, including personally identifiable information about the person making the statement, as well as, the beneficiaries (and how they are related to the person making the statement) and the petitioner. It should also be notarized/authenticated, i.e. signed in the presence of a notary or other authorized official. One statement can cover multiple children, and it should include an affirmation authorizing the children to travel outside of their home country, immigrate to the U.S., and that the contents included are true. It should also be broad in scope and long-term for multiple entries and exits. Please refer to the laws of the applicable country to determine other items that may be needed upon departure from the home country, i.e. documentation at the airport. One last suggestion is to get multiple originals signed and notarized. Please see attached for a sample affidavit from the non-immigrating biological parent (input your own information where the font is blue in color).

Q7. When mailing petitions, applications, and other packets of information for related cases to the USCIS or NVC, do I need to send everything together in one package or in separate packages?

A7. It is best to send petitions, applications, and other items for related cases together in one package, especially if the relatives will be traveling together. This will ensure that the cases are processed simultaneously. Inside the package being sent, information can be segregated and held together using a separate binder clip for each individual’s items with the applicable barcoded document cover sheet included on top for each specific case.

Q8. When traveling to the U.S. for the first time since the VISA was issued, do my spouse and step-children need to enter the U.S. at the same time?

A8. No, the step-children can follow your spouse, and enter the U.S. at a later date. However, you may want to make this decision early, because you will need to answer a question about this on the DS-230 Application. Also keep in mind that the issued VISA’s are only good for a certain time period, and this may increase travel costs for your spouse to return to their home country to get their children, so that they are not alone while traveling and at the POE.

Now, for the Disclaimer: Information is provided for your convenience only. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information since I am not an attorney and although I went to great lengths to make sure the information is accurate, I recommend that you consult an attorney if you want professional assurance that the information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My wife and I are considering adopting her niece, she is 9 years old and is from Honduras. She is my wife's younger sisters daughter, she was never married to the girls father, he abandoned them but would be willing to release his custody and so would she. Does anyone know if, under these circumstances, she would be eligible to emigrate to the us? Please help us .

You have two options;

1. Move to Honduras. Adopt your niece. Live there with her for two years where you exercise primary control over your adopted child. By establishing a true parent/child relationship, you show that adopting her is not merely a convenience to immigrate a person who you otherwise could not petition for.

2. Prove that dad is dead AND mom cannot care for child at the standard for Hondurans. Mom merely being poor is not enough to show that she can't care for her child. You need to show why mom cannot adequately care for her child. This option is not available if both parents are alive. Since you are petitioning for your adopted child, it will be your burden to prove that dad is dead AND mom is not capable for caring for her child in accordance with Honduran standards.

I appreciate having access to the valuable information available on the VJ website. Words cannot express how grateful I am to those who have come before us and shared their experiences. I am writing these questions and answers, because it seems like there is a lack of information specifically related to immigrating step-children on the VJ site. These questions only relate to an IR2/CR2 Visa case for a step-child under the age of 16 who was conceived in wedlock. If anyone has information on immigrating with step-children who were conceived outside of wedlock (DNA testing may be required), cases for step-children over 16 years old at the time of marriage to USC, or has anything to add, please feel free to include here in a reply. Due to a number of differences, information related to adopted children should be saved under a separate post or area on VJ. My hope is that this information helps others to bring their families back together just as soon as possible.

Some Questions & Answers related to Immigrating Step-Children

Q1. I am a USC/Legal Permanent Resident who just married someone from another country (Immigrating Spouse), and they have children from a previous marriage. These children were all under age 16 years when we got married. Can they immigrate with my spouse?

A1. Yes, as long as your spouse has full custody AND is allowed to take the children outside of their home country to live; OR the other biological parent is willing to write/sign a statement allowing the children to immigrate to the U.S. See question #6 below for more information on this, and see attached for a parental consent template.

Q2. Do I need to file more than one I-130 Petition for Alien Relative? If so, do I need to pay more than one petition fee (currently $355)?

A2. Yes, you need to file a separate I-130 Petition for your spouse, and another one for each child. A separate fee (currently $355) is due for each I-130 Petition filed.

Q3. My step-children are minors. Who signs their G-325A Biographic Information and DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa?

A3. According to NVC operators, their immigrating biological parent (spouse of the USC) can sign the USCIS and NVC forms for their children.

Q4. At the NVC stage, do I need to make separate AOS and IV payments for my spouse and each immigrating child?

A4. Since you will be filing I-864’s Affidavits of Support for related cases, the NVC only requires one AOS payment (currently $70). However, you will need to make separate IV payments (currently $400 each) for your spouse and each immigrating child, and complete a separate DS-230 Application for each individual.

Q5. When completing the DS-230 Application, the instructions say to include an Original Marriage Certificate. Do I need to include two original marriage certificates, i.e. one with my spouse’s DS-230 Application and another one with my child’s DS-230 Application?

A5. No, an Original Marriage Certificate is only required with your spouse’s DS-230 Application.

Q6. The NVC is asking for custody documentation with the DS-230 Application. Since my spouse does not have sole custody with the ability to take the child outside of the country, do we need to get a statement showing parental consent from my spouse’s ex, the other biological parent of my step-child? If so, what needs to be included in a declaration like this?

A6. This parental consent statement is like a spousal affidavit, including personally identifiable information about the person making the statement, as well as, the beneficiaries (and how they are related to the person making the statement) and the petitioner. It should also be notarized/authenticated, i.e. signed in the presence of a notary or other authorized official. One statement can cover multiple children, and it should include an affirmation authorizing the children to travel outside of their home country, immigrate to the U.S., and that the contents included are true. It should also be broad in scope and long-term for multiple entries and exits. Please refer to the laws of the applicable country to determine other items that may be needed upon departure from the home country, i.e. documentation at the airport. One last suggestion is to get multiple originals signed and notarized. Please see attached for a sample affidavit from the non-immigrating biological parent (input your own information where the font is blue in color).

Q7. When mailing petitions, applications, and other packets of information for related cases to the USCIS or NVC, do I need to send everything together in one package or in separate packages?

A7. It is best to send petitions, applications, and other items for related cases together in one package, especially if the relatives will be traveling together. This will ensure that the cases are processed simultaneously. Inside the package being sent, information can be segregated and held together using a separate binder clip for each individual’s items with the applicable barcoded document cover sheet included on top for each specific case.

Q8. When traveling to the U.S. for the first time since the VISA was issued, do my spouse and step-children need to enter the U.S. at the same time?

A8. No, the step-children can follow your spouse, and enter the U.S. at a later date. However, you may want to make this decision early, because you will need to answer a question about this on the DS-230 Application. Also keep in mind that the issued VISA’s are only good for a certain time period, and this may increase travel costs for your spouse to return to their home country to get their children, so that they are not alone while traveling and at the POE.

Now, for the Disclaimer: Information is provided for your convenience only. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information since I am not an attorney and although I went to great lengths to make sure the information is accurate, I recommend that you consult an attorney if you want professional assurance that the information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Most of this is pretty accurate; just the fees need to updated; as the petition fee is now raised from 355- $420each; but the visa applic fee is lowered to $230each. We do have a affadavit form from the biological father, that also states my address where my wife's minor child will live in USA; so it was made specifically for our 130 petition; I'd highly recommend getting this form done as early as possible before marriage. When the bio father found out she was really getting married, 2 days before, he threaten to kidnap the child, and did all he could to ruin the wedding, and kept harrassing us after the wedding. Jealousy will change a persons mind.....in any country, and any language, love hurts others sometimes and the worst comes out in people. So we hope we have our document, which was drawn up by an attorney, and the bio father was asked to come to his office to sign it, in front of them. This is the reason sometimes an attorney is best used. My wife said, "EAM would never be like or do anything like that"....she was wrong about a person she knew 7 years, so its best to get an attorney, even if you think you'll have no problems. I know now, he'll refuse to cooperate if there is anything else he needs to sign, HE WILL NOT, and we'll be screwed! So we're hoping we've done all the homework we needed to for it, and the NVC and USEB MNL doesn't give us any problems about it. :((L)

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am here living in the US with my USC husband. I adjusted status and have my green card now. We have 2 separate i130's approved, with my USC husband as the sponsor/petitioner with our 5 and 8 year olds as his step children. We will be complete with nvc any day and we are ready to schedule our interview at the US embassy in Manila. Who needs to go for their interview? I know the children go, but do we both go for the interview? Can just me or my husband go alone with out the other one also going?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

I am here living in the US with my USC husband. I adjusted status and have my green card now. We have 2 separate i130's approved, with my USC husband as the sponsor/petitioner with our 5 and 8 year olds as his step children. We will be complete with nvc any day and we are ready to schedule our interview at the US embassy in Manila. Who needs to go for their interview? I know the children go, but do we both go for the interview? Can just me or my husband go alone with out the other one also going?

bump

Timeline

One more question, can we have my sister take our 5 and 8 year olds to the interview for us? That way they could have their Visas in hand and ready when we would arrive to pick them up. If this is possible we could use our small amount of vacation days better when we pick them up. That way we can take the kids to Disney in Hong Kong on our way back to there new home in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.