Sign in to follow this  
katej0203

Dual British and American citizenship?

28 posts in this topic

I am still at the beginning of the process, but am wondering...

I am presently a British citizen, and will eventually reach the stage where I am to consider having an American citizenship. I dont have any family based reasons to apply for it, but it would save me having to renew a green card in the future.

Can I keep my British citizenship too? Does anyone have both? Any opinions?

I am presently a British citizen, and will eventually reach the stage where I am to consider having an American citizenship. I dont have any family based reasons to apply for it, but it would save me having to renew a green card in the future.

Hey old chap, if youse guys won the War of 1812 you wouldn't be asking this question and we would have national health care and we could call the Beatles our own.

But really don't know the answer to your question, I could ask the queen, or do I have to ask Brown now? Heard Blair is history, something about pushing the UK into a middleeast war. What about you coming to Canada? Do you need a work visa? We didn't use to until many of our American jobs went up there, US corporations like saving money on health insurance costs. LOL.

I have been reading this forum for a while and i saw your post and had to answer it myself. I too am a brit and am at the end of my Naturalization process. You can legally have dual nationality as a brit and as an american. I also applied for the nationality to reduce to burden of having to renew my GC.

Hope that helps.

I applying for naturalization because I can be a British and a US citizen at the same time. It's great that you can be both, otherwise I would have to think a lot harder. And anyways, the good old Queenie doesn't allow you to renounce your British citizenship anyways...............

As previously advised, as a British citizen, you can hold dual citizenship with the US. However remember that as a US Citizen you will be responsible for filing a tax return each year with the IRS, WHEREVER you live and this tax return requires you to report GLOBAL income i.e. all income received from anywhere. The good news is that if your income does not exceed $82,000 pa (indexed each year) then you don't pay tax, BUT you still must complete a tax return.

O.k.....first of all....you have a LONG way to go before you even begin to *think* about that....one day at a time.

Second of all....will ALL Brits STOP ASKING ABOUT DUAL CITIZENSHIP....for crying out loud READ....it gets asked here every single forsaken day!!!! there must be 100+ topics on "dual british/u.s. citizenship"....READ!!!!!!!

sorry....but after so many years on this vj board i think i've finally xploded....anyone else feel the same?

I'm in the final throes of naturalization -- if I couldn't keep my UK citizenship then I wouldn't be going through it in the first place (we're sick and tired of the USCIS and basically just want to be done with having to deal the broken, expensive and frustrating US immigration system! -- not to mention, I've been dealing with "taxation without representation" for the past nine years so am rather looking forward to being able to vote!!). As an aside, if my husband and I ever move to the UK, he's said that he'll reciprocate and take UK citizenship, if he's able to.

Tammi's right -- when you take US citizenship, the US won't recognize your UK citizenship, but you're still able to take dual citizenship.

Anyway, good luck with the whole immigration process!

I applying for naturalization because I can be a British and a US citizen at the same time. It's great that you can be both, otherwise I would have to think a lot harder. And anyways, the good old Queenie doesn't allow you to renounce your British citizenship anyways...............

I'm in the final throes of naturalization -- if I couldn't keep my UK citizenship then I wouldn't be going through it in the first place (we're sick and tired of the USCIS and basically just want to be done with having to deal the broken, expensive and frustrating US immigration system! -- not to mention, I've been dealing with "taxation without representation" for the past nine years so am rather looking forward to being able to vote!!). As an aside, if my husband and I ever move to the UK, he's said that he'll reciprocate and take UK citizenship, if he's able to.

Tammi's right -- when you take US citizenship, the US won't recognize your UK citizenship, but you're still able to take dual citizenship.

Anyway, good luck with the whole immigration process!

from what i have read on the internet courtesy of google should i the brit apply for citerzenship i will be concidered a duel nationional and entitled to both passports however only UK recognises the fact of the duel and not the US. It is also my understanding that the only way i could loose my UK nationallity is if i officially denounce it in front of a Brittish counsel of some sort which i cannot remember but doing this infornt of another national offical doesn't count must be a UK.

I 've also seen it stated on the net that if you have both passports remember to leave on your usa passport and enter back on it or there could be problems. so i will be deff be reading up more on that and any other pittfalls i may encounter if i do this.

Also If Vito decided to go for UK citerzenship it is my understanding that the US would see that as renouncing his US citerzenship even though he is born and bread and not naturalised. therefore he can't do it. which is sad but hey thats life.

[Also If Vito decided to go for UK citerzenship it is my understanding that the US would see that as renouncing his US citerzenship even though he is born and bread and not naturalised. therefore he can't do it. which is sad but hey thats life.

I am not too sure about that statement. I think the US now allows you to acquire other citizenships, as I think it is quite difficult to lose your US Citizenship.

:yes: Like Canada, UK does not require automatic forfeiture of citizenship--so you can keep both passports (though you can't use the Brit one to re-enter US subsequent to naturalisation).

[Also If Vito decided to go for UK citerzenship it is my understanding that the US would see that as renouncing his US citerzenship even though he is born and bread and not naturalised. therefore he can't do it. which is sad but hey thats life.

I am not too sure about that statement. I think the US now allows you to acquire other citizenships, as I think it is quite difficult to lose your US Citizenship.

after googling again three times, i'm now very confussed and on the fence about this too. but i have yet to find an official site stating facts just knowlege and opinions and I see both being put forward. some think its a yes for us to uk some think its a no. and one stated that you could but then if you volintarily applied for foreign citerzenship you loose your us citerzenship :wacko:

but then i did state it was my understanding from what i found on google. and i stand by that still. everything i have read is from the net, i haven't spoken to an attourney or what not to get the official answer.

O.k.....first of all....you have a LONG way to go before you even begin to *think* about that....one day at a time.

Second of all....will ALL Brits STOP ASKING ABOUT DUAL CITIZENSHIP....for crying out loud READ....it gets asked here every single forsaken day!!!! there must be 100+ topics on "dual british/u.s. citizenship"....READ!!!!!!!

sorry....but after so many years on this vj board i think i've finally xploded....anyone else feel the same?

No I don't feel the same, if it bothers you don't bloomin well read it. This is a forum for this specific topic and this helps 'All Brits' understand they can have dual citizenship, whether the poster decided to search for this subject beforehand or not. Unleash your idle mind in an off topic forum or start a thread regarding your explosion at the Brits asking 'every single forsaken day' the same question. Muppet.

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.