Matiela

K1 interview & affidavit: form 1040EZ

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hey everyone! I'm having my interview on thursday and the embassy complained about something in a really ambiguous way, but we suspect it's this: my fiancee (the USC) filed her taxes with form 1040EZ instead of the regular 1040, which must go attached to the affidavit of support. they don't seem to like that.

has anyone here gone to the interview with a 1040EZ (or will do it in the future)? do you know anything about this, did the embassy complain about it or did everything go smoothly?

success and failure stories and how the problem was solved would help throw some light onto this.

thank you so much!

PS: her mom is a co-sponsor and has a regular 1040 which I guess should suffice, but we're afraid they still will demand that the petitioner bring something else and we don't know what to do.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, Matiela said:

hey everyone! I'm having my interview on thursday and the embassy complained about something in a really ambiguous way, but we suspect it's this: my fiancee (the USC) filed her taxes with form 1040EZ instead of the regular 1040, which must go attached to the affidavit of support. they don't seem to like that.

has anyone here gone to the interview with a 1040EZ (or will do it in the future)? do you know anything about this, did the embassy complain about it or did everything go smoothly?

success and failure stories and how the problem was solved would help throw some light onto this.

thank you so much!

PS: her mom is a co-sponsor and has a regular 1040 which I guess should suffice, but we're afraid they still will demand that the petitioner bring something else and we don't know what to do.

Hi Matiela.

My fiancee is from Argentina and we file K1 on september.  We are wondering if my fiancee need the police record of the entire country or the provincia where he live.

beside that I would like to know if you legalization of birth certificate was ease cause I hear its to dificult to do. Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Matiela said:

thank you so much!

Did you already give the embassy the Tax returns?  Normally that is done at the interview. 

There should be no issue with the tax return, whether it is 1040 or 1040EZ.  Many people use the EZ form.  

Timeline
14 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I’m just curious as to what the difference is between the two forms. 

the EZ is just one page and it's simpler. it's meant for people who meet certain criteria, the main one being low income.

8 hours ago, tanderson64 said:

Did you already give the embassy the Tax returns?  Normally that is done at the interview. 

There should be no issue with the tax return, whether it is 1040 or 1040EZ.  Many people use the EZ form.  

I gave them photocopies as they requested prior to scheduling the interview. I'm pretty sure it SHOULD be fine with the EZ but they ambiguously complained about it on an email to me, and I found one old thread (never answered) in which an embassy says the EZ is no good, so we're a little afraid.

communication with my embassy is almost non existant, I guess I'll have to find out at the interview in 4 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Matiela said:

ambiguously complained about it on an email to me

How did the embassy "ambiguously complain in an email" about tax returns?

Timeline
8 hours ago, tanderson64 said:

How did the embassy "ambiguously complain in an email" about tax returns?

in a list of missing documents (most of which certainly were NOT missing and were all bundled together - or I've gone insane or a gremlin stole them before they opened my envelope), one of the items is "latest tax returns (form 1040 first two pages) and form W2 from petitioner".

a 1040 WAS actually missing from the co-sponsor, and W2 from the petitioner, which is probably and hopefully what that means and nothing else. but it also could be taken to mean that they recognize no valid 1040 was inside the envelope at all (so they don't care for the petitioner's 1040EZ that WAS there).

after some time to calm down I realize that, though it could have been worded more clearly, probably it's all my nerves. after so many errors (theirs, yes) and delays and general bureaucratic torture we've gone through in every little step of this process, I've become paranoid haha.

Timeline

just leaving this here as reference for the future: they didn't want any of the new forms I brought to the interview,  or anything else they complained about on the email. the interview went just fine with what i had already given as a photocopy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.