Andsco

Traveling under Advance Parole

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everyone!

Back in September I applied for AP so I could travel on January and May back to my country to attend my exams (I study online but I still have to attend in person to do my exams). With that said, I got approved and got my 2 copies of the AP around 3 months after applying. Everything went just fine, went back to my country, came back after less than a week and got processed at the airport so I could get back into the US. As I got processed different things happened..

Since it was my first time applying for the AP and I asked on my application that I needed to go back to my country TWICE to attend BOTH times my exams, I thought that both copies that they sent me were to get into the US BOTH times (as no where said that one copy was for them and the other one for me). I told the officer what happened and nothing happened, simply they took the copy, they made a photocopy for me and got an stamp on my passport. 

With that said my question is simple:

I have to go back to do my exams on May and I would like to know, if possible from someone who went through this more than once, what will happen this time around. Will they just check that I have my stamp? I saw that the officer wrote that it is valid until January 2019. Do I need anything else? I will take again the copy I forgot home (as he told me it's best if they stamp it so I have an original proof) and I will take clearly the photocopy of the one he kept (besides my marriage certificate and other docs just in case). 

Thanks!

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Andsco said:

Hello everyone!

Back in September I applied for AP so I could travel on January and May back to my country to attend my exams (I study online but I still have to attend in person to do my exams). With that said, I got approved and got my 2 copies of the AP around 3 months after applying. Everything went just fine, went back to my country, came back after less than a week and got processed at the airport so I could get back into the US. As I got processed different things happened..

Since it was my first time applying for the AP and I asked on my application that I needed to go back to my country TWICE to attend BOTH times my exams, I thought that both copies that they sent me were to get into the US BOTH times (as no where said that one copy was for them and the other one for me). I told the officer what happened and nothing happened, simply they took the copy, they made a photocopy for me and got an stamp on my passport. 

With that said my question is simple:

I have to go back to do my exams on May and I would like to know, if possible from someone who went through this more than once, what will happen this time around. Will they just check that I have my stamp? I saw that the officer wrote that it is valid until January 2019. Do I need anything else? I will take again the copy I forgot home (as he told me it's best if they stamp it so I have an original proof) and I will take clearly the photocopy of the one he kept (besides my marriage certificate and other docs just in case). 

Thanks!

The AP is valid for a period of 1 year from the date of issue I believe (or date of application. Not sure which) Check the date on the EAD Card which serves the same as the AP. The card should be endorsed...Serves as AP or something to that effect.

There are no limits to the number of times you can use it, though, since an AP Holder automatically sent to Secondary Processing.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

The AP is valid for a period of 1 year from the date of issue I believe (or date of application. Not sure which) Check the date on the EAD Card which serves the same as the AP. The card should be endorsed...Serves as AP or something to that effect.

There are no limits to the number of times you can use it, though, since an AP Holder automatically sent to Secondary Processing.

So the second time I go back and come back to the US, will they just look at the stamp they put on my passport this time around? I didn't get my AP with my EAD because I didn't know if I would need my AP, so I applied for my AP a little bit later. I got my EAD card first and then I got my 2 AP papers to show whenever I left the first time. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Andsco said:

So the second time I go back and come back to the US, will they just look at the stamp they put on my passport this time around? I didn't get my AP with my EAD because I didn't know if I would need my AP, so I applied for my AP a little bit later. I got my EAD card first and then I got my 2 AP papers to show whenever I left the first time. 

I believe that card they stapled in the Passport with the Words Advance Parole should suffice within the validity noted. Otherwise, they will remove the card, then stamp and add a new date up to the validity of the AP card. Either way, I imagine you will go through secondary.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

So your AP is just on one page, right?

Can’t you just make copies of it? 

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Timeline

No, when you apply for the AP they send you 2 copies (one for you to keep and the other one for the officer at port of entry). When I arrived to port of entry and because I assumed they sent me 2 copies so I could travel 2 times back to my country so I could attend my exams, I showed up 1 copy of the 2 I got and they asked me where the other one was. After a while I explained that I thought the other one was for next time I have to travel and they explained me that the other one was so I could keep it. 

At the end they just took the original, made a copy for me and got an stamp on my passport that says that I got paroled and that it will last 1 year. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
22 hours ago, Andsco said:

I will take again the copy I forgot home (as he told me it's best if they stamp it so I have an original proof) and I will take clearly the photocopy of the one he kept (besides my marriage certificate and other docs just in case). 

Yes, bring your second original AP (I guess this is what you mean by "the copy I forgot home"), your passport, a marriage certificate (if you changed you name). For your peace of mind, you can take other documents, including a photocopy of the AP that the CBP officer kept.

This would suffice, no need to worry.

Timeline
On 1/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, VJ0617 said:

Yes, bring your second original AP (I guess this is what you mean by "the copy I forgot home"), your passport, a marriage certificate (if you changed you name). For your peace of mind, you can take other documents, including a photocopy of the AP that the CBP officer kept.

This would suffice, no need to worry.

Hello VJ0617!

Did you travel more than once under AP? I would like to know how it was for others!

I am planning to get the copy I forgot home so they can stamp it, the copy the offer gave me (already stamped), my passport with my stamp (clearly), marriage certificate, the paper I got from my biometrics for EAD and AOS and I guess all the other docs I have just in case..

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Andsco said:

Hello VJ0617!

Did you travel more than once under AP? I would like to know how it was for others!

I am planning to get the copy I forgot home so they can stamp it, the copy the offer gave me (already stamped), my passport with my stamp (clearly), marriage certificate, the paper I got from my biometrics for EAD and AOS and I guess all the other docs I have just in case..

Hi,

No, I traveled just once, with my EAD/AP combo card. But I've read quite a lot on this issue while trying to expedite my AP. From what I've read on this forum, in cases like yours, CBP officers will give your second original AP back to you when you travel more than once. I haven't heard of any complications, it's a very straightforward process, they will bring you for a secondary inspection, but usually that's just for the CBP officers to do the required paperwork.

As for the documents, the most important and potentially helpful at the POE is the NOA for your AOS, confirming that USCIS has accepted your I-485. It will serve as a proof that you are in the process of adjusting your status.

Good luck with your trip!

Edited by VJ0617

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.