Stressed Out

Frankfurt RFE :(

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm happy nonetheless that we at least heard back from Frankfurt USCIS, but we got the RFE I was fearing...regarding evidence of a bona fide marital union. Sooo, pay attention.

So far I've got:

- our rental contract with both our signatures

- bills in both our names
- joint bank account

- Familienversicherung (family health insurance) under Barmer GEK from my husband's work
- asking my mom and dad to send a formal company letter from their HVAC business that we'll be employed together by them upon our arrival in the US
- probably stick a few photos in with it all, from vacations
- thinking of requesting affidavit letters from family and friends in the US/Germany??? (should I even bother?)

Unfortunately that's about it. Our car is in my father-in-law's name and he told me yesterday there's no way of proving that both of us our insured (with names on paper) because "it's the car that's insured in Germany, not the drivers". That statement made negative sense to me, so I don't know if he's being lazy requesting evidence for me or not. It'd be cool if someone here from Germany could clarify that for me.

Also no life insurance as it's expensive here and I sold my individual US plan last year to help pay off some debt.

Well, thanks for the help any of you can offer. Hoping to have this away within a couple of weeks, or days if the letters from family aren't really necessary.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey!

Did you not include pictures in first place? When we sent off our package, we included pictures and facebook statuses etc. plenty but not too much :) Then i went to the interview in Frankfurt and everything was as smooth as it gets. Standard questions about my wife and a few looks at our pictures and i was through. Of course you can send in everything.. the more the better... but don't drive yourself crazy about it...

(L) Married 03/18/14 (L)

AOS

AOS filed: 04/04/14

Files received: 04/09/14

NOA1: 04/15/14

Biometrics letter: 04/18/14

Biometrics completed: 05/13/14

EAD shipped: 06/19/14

Potential interview waiver: 07/11/14

Unsuccessful Infopass: 08/11/14

Third expedite request approved: 08/26/14

GC in production: 08/26/14

GC received: 03/09/14

Enlistment oath for the US ARMY 28/10/14

Hello

I didn't see it on your list but I presume you submitted a copy of your marriage ceritificate?

Good luck!

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Timeline

The marriage certificate was required while the marriage evidence was written down as optional (phrase was "you may wish to include...") and a couple other VJ users who also did DCF didn't include one scrap of evidence, received no such RFE's and were approved pretty quickly. From what I've mostly read on here the evidence isn't judged too harshly, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much.

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.

(IR-1 Journey):

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Your timeline shows you were married in 2011. Can you provide any documentation that shows history together, from before you were married to present? Not just current status. Trips to visit each other, trips together, records of moving together, photos, etc. Affadavits can't hurt, so may as well include that as well. One way to think of it is that you're not just proving bona-fide marriage to the consulate officer, as a one-off affair. You're giving them the proof they can then use to validate their decision to a superior any time in the future. So overwhelming evidence would help.

Filed: Timeline

I'm happy nonetheless that we at least heard back from Frankfurt USCIS, but we got the RFE I was fearing...regarding evidence of a bona fide marital union. Sooo, pay attention.

So far I've got:

- our rental contract with both our signatures

- bills in both our names

- joint bank account

- Familienversicherung (family health insurance) under Barmer GEK from my husband's work

- asking my mom and dad to send a formal company letter from their HVAC business that we'll be employed together by them upon our arrival in the US

- probably stick a few photos in with it all, from vacations

- thinking of requesting affidavit letters from family and friends in the US/Germany??? (should I even bother?)

Unfortunately that's about it. Our car is in my father-in-law's name and he told me yesterday there's no way of proving that both of us our insured (with names on paper) because "it's the car that's insured in Germany, not the drivers". That statement made negative sense to me, so I don't know if he's being lazy requesting evidence for me or not. It'd be cool if someone here from Germany could clarify that for me.

Also no life insurance as it's expensive here and I sold my individual US plan last year to help pay off some debt.

Well, thanks for the help any of you can offer. Hoping to have this away within a couple of weeks, or days if the letters from family aren't really necessary.

Correct - insurance covers the car in Germany.

Timeline

Your timeline shows you were married in 2011. Can you provide any documentation that shows history together, from before you were married to present? Not just current status. Trips to visit each other, trips together, records of moving together, photos, etc. Affadavits can't hurt, so may as well include that as well. One way to think of it is that you're not just proving bona-fide marriage to the consulate officer, as a one-off affair. You're giving them the proof they can then use to validate their decision to a superior any time in the future. So overwhelming evidence would help.

Yeah I forgot to add that I have my address registrations from our local town hall when I moved to his parents house to live with him and his/my registration when we both moved at the same time to our apartment in 2011.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

Timeline

And I'm assuming also this evidence should be only photocopies, including the affidavit letters.

Here's what I just wrote up on Open Office:

Please find in this packet the original “Requested Evidence” notice sent to me by your field office along with photocopies of the following documentation:

• Brief explanation of the history of our relationship (i.e. How we met, why I moved to Europe...)

• Brief explanation as to why certain scraps of evidence are unattainable for us

• Last page of apartment rental contract (“Mietvertrag”) signed by both my husband and myself

• Official address changes proving I lived with my husband before our marital union and showing we moved together to our own apartment (“An-/Ummeldung”)

• Up-to-date gas and electric bills addressed to both my husband and myself

• Proof of a joint German bank account shared between my husband and myself

• Proof of family health insurance (“Familienversicherung”) which insures us under my husband's work contract

• Photos from vacations my husband and I went on together between 2009-2014

• Sworn affidavits from family and friends in the US and Germany

• Formal company letter from my parents' HVAC company in Oklahoma which states that they desire to hire both my husband and myself once his green card is in hand

I apologize for troubling you with having to request these documents, and I appreciate the swift reply I received regarding my petition. If I can be of further assistance to you then, once again, please don't hesitate to contact me in any way.

We hope that this packet of evidence clears things up so that our case may be forwarded to the Frankfurt Immigrant Visa Unit as soon as possible.

Edited by Stressed Out

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

For the pictures I put dates on the back and the location of where the picture was taken.

I also had bills in both our names that showed our address.

I think you have a lot of good evidence. It should be approved quickly.

Timeline

Cool, thanks! You tend to freak out a bit when those daunting words "if you submit insufficient evidence, your petition may be denied" stand in front of you, but in reality it's certainly not as bad for low fraud DCF countries like ours. Better too much than too little though I guess. Now just to gather, copy and translate this junk, haha.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

Timeline

Aww, sorry to hear you got an RFE!

We included affidavits from US relatives stating that they attended our wedding (date, location) and explaining how/when we started dating, when they met me for the first time... etc. Make sure you also include pictures of your wedding, maybe a purchase receipt of your rings. Maybe you also have additional proof of flight itineraries, hotel rooms booked under both of your names, copies of passport stamps that show you visited each other during your long distance relationship, old email/facebook conversations, gift receipts, cards/letters... But even if you only included all the things you mentioned above, I'm sure you'd be fine :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Geez, you have a lot of stuff! We had a lost I-130 that was approved with just a couple of family photos, letters addressed to us both, mail at the same address, and our official names on the door. Errmm, well for our second I-130 that was a very rare DCF through Denmark/Sweden and USCIS London we were instructed to not provide any photos or evidence! We definitely did not even have a fraction of what you do even if they had asked. I think you'll be fine even if it is Germany. :)

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.