PeterPan

O-1a Visa: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Dear All,

Few weeks ago the USCIS approved my application for the O-1a visa (I know this doesn't mean that it has been granted), I have a job offer from the company that is sponsoring my visa and paying the lawyers. I had the interview in the embassy two days ago and I really don't now what what will be the outcome of it, as the immigration officer was quite "impolite"; he said that this visa is just reserved for rock stars and actors, (I'm an engineer!), I told him that the lawyers believed that we have a strong case and I explained to him what I would be doing and why I can be considered for that visa, he went out to talk to someone and came back I would say, "slightly" less "impolite". He asked me for proof (my case is supported by several letters of recommendation, postgraduate-studies, peer-reviews of projects, top 5% of salaries in my level of expertise etc.), I handed over my CV and waited to show more proof, then he said that we will be receiving our passports back in a week. He didn't handed over any form to me, he just said that.

I talked to the lawyers and they said it would be fine, that I will be receiving the passports with the visas stamped, but I would like to now the opinion of the seasoned people in this forum, specifically I want to now what are the possible outcomes, and if any, way forward and a timeline to each of those.

Thanks in advance for your support.

PP.

Timeline

Hi Again!

I forgot to mention that since the first time I checked (one day after the interview), my case appears as "Administrative Processing" in the https://ceac.state.gov page, with the latest update the date of the interview. Is it normal that right after the interview the case is under AP? Or does that necessarily mean that my visa will be hold for any further check?

Rgds!

PP

Filed: Timeline

Normally, when they take your passport, it is a good sign. AP is normal and means they are working on it but it can be in AP for as little as one day or as long as 1+ years.

I am going to move your thread from the K-1 Fiance Process over to the Work Visas forum where you will get more related exposure. Good luck, and welcome to VJ. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Dear All,

Few weeks ago the USCIS approved my application for the O-1a visa (I know this doesn't mean that it has been granted), I have a job offer from the company that is sponsoring my visa and paying the lawyers. I had the interview in the embassy two days ago and I really don't now what what will be the outcome of it, as the immigration officer was quite "impolite"; he said that this visa is just reserved for rock stars and actors, (I'm an engineer!), I told him that the lawyers believed that we have a strong case and I explained to him what I would be doing and why I can be considered for that visa, he went out to talk to someone and came back I would say, "slightly" less "impolite". He asked me for proof (my case is supported by several letters of recommendation, postgraduate-studies, peer-reviews of projects, top 5% of salaries in my level of expertise etc.), I handed over my CV and waited to show more proof, then he said that we will be receiving our passports back in a week. He didn't handed over any form to me, he just said that.

I talked to the lawyers and they said it would be fine, that I will be receiving the passports with the visas stamped, but I would like to now the opinion of the seasoned people in this forum, specifically I want to now what are the possible outcomes, and if any, way forward and a timeline to each of those.

PP.

It's highly likely you'll be granted the visa. If you would be denied, the embassy wouldn't have kept your passport. Also, the "Administrative Processing" doesn't necessarily mean you're under the regular AP. There are countless number of people on here who had that status and the next update was "issued." The processing of the visa is also "administrative processing." Goodluck!

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Timeline

Monday 23rd update.

Dear all

I checked and the status of the visa had been updated to today but still showing "Administrative Processing", just 2 days before the day we expect our passports back, does this mean something to you? Do you think that there are still any chances of receiving the passports with the visas Wednesday 25th?

Warmest regards and please keep me updated with your thought.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Dear All,

PP.

Peter If you wont mind, could you please share your credentials. No of journal papers, reviews etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.