minglevi

how much time they take to give temporary work permit at JFK?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I need to plan my travel and I need your help...how much time they take to issue work permit at JFK airport?

Do they issue work permit to each and every one who ask for with valid K1 visa or they have some requirements?

also I have to go to seattle after getting work permit at JFK ...so do I need to change the airport from international to domestic to go to seattle or I can get a flight from JFK itself and how much time it takes from JFK to SEA and what is the air fare approximately?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I need to plan my travel and I need your help...how much time they take to issue work permit at JFK airport?

Do they issue work permit to each and every one who ask for with valid K1 visa or they have some requirements?

also I have to go to seattle after getting work permit at JFK ...so do I need to change the airport from international to domestic to go to seattle or I can get a flight from JFK itself and how much time it takes from JFK to SEA and what is the air fare approximately?

The temporary EAD stamp is given while processing your K-1 visa, so it depends on how long that takes, it can vary. I do not know if they give it to everyone voluntarily--if you are worried, just ask for it.

You can route your travel to go through JFK on your way to Seattle. I cannot estimate how much it will cost or how long the flight from NY to Seattle is, you will have to do some research on various airlines and their prices/schedules.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The temporary EAD stamp is given while processing your K-1 visa, so it depends on how long that takes, it can vary. I do not know if they give it to everyone voluntarily--if you are worried, just ask for it.

You can route your travel to go through JFK on your way to Seattle. I cannot estimate how much it will cost or how long the flight from NY to Seattle is, you will have to do some research on various airlines and their prices/schedules.

The stamp takes no extra time. Just ask for it. You can route through JFK to Seattle. Allow at least 3 hours layover at JFK. A non-stop flight to Seattle from JFK takes about 4.5 to 5 hours. It's Atlantic Coast to Pacific Coast. You can check the JFK terminal map online to see how far it is between terminals. I hate JFK but they do have busses between terminals.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

can you tell me which agency is concerned with issuing EAD at JFK airport is it customs or DHS?

where can we call to confirm if they will issue work permit on Saturday or SUnday?

are they closed on Saturday and Sunday?

The stamp takes no extra time. Just ask for it. You can route through JFK to Seattle. Allow at least 3 hours layover at JFK. A non-stop flight to Seattle from JFK takes about 4.5 to 5 hours. It's Atlantic Coast to Pacific Coast. You can check the JFK terminal map online to see how far it is between terminals. I hate JFK but they do have busses between terminals.

Timeline

It's Customs and Border Patrol. It's just a rubber stamp, so it doesn't matter what day it is. Just ask for the stamp when you hand over your passport and sealed brown envelope.

can you tell me which agency is concerned with issuing EAD at JFK airport is it customs or DHS?

where can we call to confirm if they will issue work permit on Saturday or SUnday?

are they closed on Saturday and Sunday?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

where can we call to confirm if they will issue work permit

I doubt you could confirm something like that, it is entirely up to the officer if he/she gives the EAD stamp or not, it is not a mandatory thing.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Timeline
where can we call to confirm if they will issue work permit

I doubt you could confirm something like that, it is entirely up to the officer if he/she gives the EAD stamp or not, it is not a mandatory thing.

Do you realize that this EAD is good for only 90 days and that few employers are willing to hire based on such a temporary authorization?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They have a train from terminal to terminal at JFK too...

If an international flight arrives at any airport, and if the POE arrival facility happens to be closed, the passengers are held on board the aircraft until it is opened. If the arrival facility is open then all services that are provided are available (eventually).

EAD stamp is given at secondary inspection and is given at the CBP officer's discretion.

YMMV

Timeline
They have a train from terminal to terminal at JFK too...

If an international flight arrives at any airport, and if the POE arrival facility happens to be closed, the passengers are held on board the aircraft until it is opened. If the arrival facility is open then all services that are provided are available (eventually).

EAD stamp is given at secondary inspection and is given at the CBP officer's discretion.

All true except there's no reason to withold the stamp if requested. Frankly, IMO, unless you have a job lined up already, there's little reason to route through JFK just to get the stamp. If all else is equal though, you might as well get it.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
All true except there's no reason to withold the stamp if requested. Frankly, IMO, unless you have a job lined up already, there's little reason to route through JFK just to get the stamp. If all else is equal though, you might as well get it.

Other POE's refuse to do it all the time..... JFK appears to give it out with or without request... I suppose it is too much to ask for all the POE's to operate near the same.

YMMV

Timeline
All true except there's no reason to withhold the stamp if requested. Frankly, IMO, unless you have a job lined up already, there's little reason to route through JFK just to get the stamp. If all else is equal though, you might as well get it.

Other POE's refuse to do it all the time..... JFK appears to give it out with or without request... I suppose it is too much to ask for all the POE's to operate near the same.

Apparently it IS too much to ask. The JFK only anomaly predates my involvement in the visa process.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.