Ladyj

National Visa Center Offers Insight Into Recent Delays in Case Processing

12 posts in this topic

National Visa Center Offers Insight Into Recent Delays in Case Processing

The National Visa Center (NVC) has offered some insight into the reasons for the recent delays we have seen in the time it takes to process an immigrant visa case through the NVC.

• Over the past year, the NVC was inundated with immigrant visa cases from USCIS, as USCIS shifted its workload to focus on the backlog of stand-alone I-130 cases.
  • The NVC used to receive approximately 8,000 cases per week. As USCIS continued to dig out of its backlog, the NVC began receiving around 25,000 cases per week.
  • The NVC is now receiving a large increase in non-current cases as well.
  • Over the past several months, much of the backlog was at the front end of the process – case creation. The case creation process was at 45 days over the summer. It is now at 12 days.
  • At present, delays continue at the document review stage (55 days, down from 60 days). Staff are cross-trained and resources have been reallocated to document review to bring the backlog down.
  • The NVC is hiring additional staff and looking at its internal processes and will continue to work on improvements.

Without a doubt, we could add to this list the fact that the monumental forward movement of the EB-3 category for the Philippines has significantly increased the number of cases the NVC is receiving.

Hopefully the efforts the NVC has made toward reducing the delays will allow us to get back to the reasonable processing times we have seen in the past.

http://hammondlawgroup.com/healthcareblog/2014/11/14/national-visa-center-offers-insight-recent-delays-case-processing/

Just out of curiosity, so I can share it "direct from the horse's mouth," is there a source/link for this information?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That article was posted in November 2014, so unfortunately, it's way out of date.

(L) Married: April 23, 2016 (L)

CR-1 Timeline

Spoiler

USCIS Timeline
2016-04-30     Filed I-130
2016-05-02     Received NOA1
2016-08-31     Received NOA2
2016-09-27     Case sent to the NVC (151 days at USCIS)

NVC Timeline
2016-10-03     NVC Received Case
2016-10-14     Received Welcome Letter and Case Number via Email
2016-10-14     AOS Fee Invoiced, Paid AOS Fee
2016-10-14     Submitted Choice of Agent (DS-261)
2016-10-22     IV Fee Invoiced, Paid IV Fee
2016-10-25     Emailed AOS Package
2016-10-26     Submitted IV Application (DS-260)
2016-10-27     Scan Date
2016-12-07     Received Checklist via Phone, Emailed Checklist Documents
2016-12-08     Case Entered Supervisor Review
2016-12-13     Case Complete Received via Phone
2016-12-15     Interview Date Received via Phone
2016-12-16     Received Interview Letter via Email (Packet 4)
2016-12-16     Case sent to Embassy (75 days at NVC)

Montreal Embassy Timeline
2016-12-19     Embassy Received Case
2017-01-03     Medical
2017-01-26     Interview! (272 days from filing date)
2017-01-26     Interview Results - Approved!
2017-01-27     Visa Issued
2017-01-30     Visa Received

USA Timeline
2017-02-09     POE

2017-02-21     Received SSN
0000-00-00     Received Green Card

Filed: Timeline

As noted above, that information is from 2014. Processing workloads change dramatically at federal agencies. While it certainly does appear that USCIS is moving cases faster, and that could be causing the backlog folks seem to be experiencing at NVC, it is also possible staffing issues or any number of other problems could be the cause. But more importantly, the statistical information is absolutely useless in understanding how long things will take to move out of the NVC, since it is two years old and pertains to an entirely different timeframe. I'd caution anyone from drawing any conclusions from that two year old blog post.

It would be nice if NVC would issue better statistical data regarding their processing, like USCIS does, so we could keep better track of how things were moving. Without that, we really can't draw any conclusions about why they have a backlog (if they even do, since obviously looking at timelines, some cases ARE moving within their stated timeframes WITHOUT supervisor review).

You should really edit the headline to make it clear this information is from 2014.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yeah if that was two years ago then it's not really relevant. NVC just recently started to have these delays and by recently I mean since July because when my case was at NVC almost everyone was getting their cases complete in exactly 30 days. Things started to change in August, September.

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

~~moved to NVC discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures. NVC processes more than IR1/CR1 visas~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Well how about this for a reason: it is presidential election and everything stalls during this time....

I would only hope not. Everyone is getting impatient and anxious to be with their loved ones.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes indeed I know I am we just made our 5th anniversary as a couple and it is becoming very stressful. Especially now that we are ready to take the final step of marriage. I was just making light of the NVC stall and the election

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.