teama&a

passed interview in MTL but 'refused' on technicality

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

So, my husband and I attended the interview for IR1/CR1 this month. The officer gave me a welcome letter and said that I had passed the interview. He then looked at our wedding date (Aug. 25, 2014) and advised me to have the visa "refused" for administrative purposes. He said that if the visa is issued today (day of interview) I would have to move before our wedding anniversary and immediately apply for the adjustment of status since we are well into the 90-day period. He said if I am approved and issued the CR1 that I cannot enter the US after Aug 25 and have a CR1 visa stamped and activated with an IR1 stamp. So, due to technicality he gave me a visa refusal for insufficient documents saying I had to send them my passport by mail after our anniversary date in order to have an IR1 visa issued to me and bypass the adjustment of status phase.

My question is, has this ever happened to anyone before? How long does it take for the embassy to receive documents sent and issue a visa? He mentioned sending the passport a week or 2 before the anniversary date, my only worry is if I send it too early and it is issued before Aug 25. I also don't want to send it too late, and have to wait 6-8 weeks for processing as I'm getting ready to tie up loose ends (car insurance, work etc).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Timeline

This doesn't make sense to me. I thought it was the date of POE that mattered, not the date of issuance of the visa. And even still, that should be a decision you make... Very confusing.

This doesn't make sense to me. I thought it was the date of POE that mattered, not the date of issuance of the visa. And even still, that should be a decision you make... Very confusing.

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

This makes zero sense unless your medical would expire before your anniversary date.

IR1 vs CR1 is determined by POE not visa issuance.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

im starting to see now based on all of the replies i have received that i should have just taken the visa instead of following the CO suggestion. My medical was done in June and the interview was this month (July). i was warned that if i was waiting until our anniversary to move (so that I can get an IR1 instead of CR1) than i should not accept the visa and have it refused for administrative purposes to buy me time so that they may issue my visa in my passport after our anniversary date. These were the exact words that the CO used, and as such i decided i would send the passport back to Montreal once i got back home (Ontario) because my husband and I had both agreed that we would not be moving until the start of September. The CO also said that this refusal or denial was not going to impact anything and was simply for insufficient paperwork (that i was "missing" my passport on the day of my interview and hence i would have to mail it back to the embassy).

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello (:

Something very similar happened to my husband and I. At his interview he was told if he wanted to wait until our 2nd anniversary he would need an IR1 stamp. She basically gave us a bogus 221g for another medical exam and told him to submit his passport along with the new exam on or after our 2nd anniversary.

How is your case going now?

March 11th 2015: We got married! (L)

July 15th 2015: I-130 petition sent to Chicago filing center

July 17th 2015: NOA1, petition forwarded to Nebraska

July 21st 2015: NOA1 Hard copy received

January 5th 2016: Petition approved!

January 14 2016: NOA2 hardcopy received

January 14th 2016: Case sent to Dept. of State

February 2nd 2016 : received NVC welcome letter along with case and invoice number

May 11, 2016: DS-261 completed and AOS fee paid

May 19th 2016: Immigrant visa fee paid

July 6th 2016: DS-260 completed

July 8th 2016: Our AOS package was received

August 13th 2016: AOS package review complete and visa interview scheduled for Sept 27th 2016!!!

September 21st 2016: Hubbys medical exam

September 27th: APPROVED!

Timeline

Hi,

When I sent my passport back to the embassy, I actually sent it in too early and was issued a cr1 visa stamp (20 days shy of the two year anniversary). I chose to wait till the end of the month to enter the USA (4 days after our 2 year anniversary), the officer at the border crossing was rather rude. First she said she will stamp it as a cr1 bcus that's how it has been issued, even though I showed her my marriage certificate and clearly explained that I am eligible for ir1. I told her by the time I tied up loose ends etc and was ready to move I had passed my two year anniversary, she either didn't care or was just having a bad day at work bcus she told me that she was not able to process me as an ir1 and that I would have to do follow up paper work on my own to adjust my status. By this point I had to genuinely control my emotions as I felt myself getting angry at her snippy attitude and straight up laziness, she asked me to leave my passport with her and have a seat. That's when I put my marriage certificate on the table and told her I'd be leaving this here so she can verify the date with her supervisor for the ir1 and then I went and sat down. Eventually she called a supervisor who told her that she had to issue it as an ir1, then she called me back to the window and basically whipped my passport across the counter to me and said "u can go now". When I opened the passport I saw that she stamped it correctly with the ir1.

I think the officer at the embassy might be aware that the border cross officers don't like to change a cr1 to an ir1, so he's saving you a headache in that sense by issuing it as an ir1 to begin with. But if you do happen to get a cr1 and enter after your anniversary, you're legally eligible for the ir1 so don't let them stamp your passport with anything else. Obviously be kind and courteous and polite when showing them your marriage certificate and pointing out the dates but if you see that they're trying give you the run around then be firm and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good luck :)

Hi,

When I sent my passport back to the embassy, I actually sent it in too early and was issued a cr1 visa stamp (20 days shy of the two year anniversary). I chose to wait till the end of the month to enter the USA (4 days after our 2 year anniversary), the officer at the border crossing was rather rude. First she said she will stamp it as a cr1 bcus that's how it has been issued, even though I showed her my marriage certificate and clearly explained that I am eligible for ir1. I told her by the time I tied up loose ends etc and was ready to move I had passed my two year anniversary, she either didn't care or was just having a bad day at work bcus she told me that she was not able to process me as an ir1 and that I would have to do follow up paper work on my own to adjust my status. By this point I had to genuinely control my emotions as I felt myself getting angry at her snippy attitude and straight up laziness, she asked me to leave my passport with her and have a seat. That's when I put my marriage certificate on the table and told her I'd be leaving this here so she can verify the date with her supervisor for the ir1 and then I went and sat down. Eventually she called a supervisor who told her that she had to issue it as an ir1, then she called me back to the window and basically whipped my passport across the counter to me and said "u can go now". When I opened the passport I saw that she stamped it correctly with the ir1.

I think the officer at the embassy might be aware that the border cross officers don't like to change a cr1 to an ir1, so he's saving you a headache in that sense by issuing it as an ir1 to begin with. But if you do happen to get a cr1 and enter after your anniversary, you're legally eligible for the ir1 so don't let them stamp your passport with anything else. Obviously be kind and courteous and polite when showing them your marriage certificate and pointing out the dates but if you see that they're trying give you the run around then be firm and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good luck :)

Hi,

Hi,

Quadruple post!

Cbp officers really know very little about immigration. Dont pay attention to them. Theyre easiest to deal with if you play dumb and let them think they're smart... like smrt smart. ;) (That bit of info comes from my husband who works for the govt currently and was also military for 8 yrs)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This makes zero sense unless your medical would expire before your anniversary date.

IR1 vs CR1 is determined by POE not visa issuance.

On a semi related topic - I just got reminder from USCIS to file i-751 to remove conditions. My visa stamp was CR-1 but I had to send my 2 year green card back with i-90 to get 10 year GC since my POE was after 2 years of marriage. Now I have 10 year Green card. Do they not update their database though? Do I really need to file i-751 even though I have 10 year GC with me right now?

Hi,

Did you eventually get 10 year Green card in the mail or did they still mail you 2 year conditional card?

I would make an infopass and show them that you have a 10 year card correctly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.