9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am very worried I am going to be denied the K1 on medical grounds!

I suffered an episode of depression when I was a teenager after the shock of one of my parents taking their own life. I received counselling/CBT and was on anti-depressants for two and a half years. I initially had a bad reaction to these and they made me worse before it got better - they told me to stick with it which I did.

About 8 months after coming off the medication I started to feel a bit low again due to exam stress and family problems/illness. I went back to the doctor who put me back on medication with little supervision and I had another very horrible reaction for the first few weeks. This time it caused me to take a bad overdose of the anti-depressants and I ended up in A+E for the night after calling my friend. I then went home and saw a psychiatrist once who discharged me from any care after about a month because I never went back on medication and just decided to have more counselling to help me cope. I've been well now for over two years I'm just worried my past illness will affect everything negatively.

Please help! Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Smvilhelm4,

I'm sorry to hear about your past.

Each case is different but I would think this shouldn't be a problem during your process.

The only way it could be a problem is if the doctors either your personal doctor or the staff at the medical think you have any ongoing issues. If so, you might be ask to do a psychological evaluation at your visa medical.

It might also be worth getting some information from your current doctor and old psychologist regarding you past and if there is no ongoing issues, perhaps getting a letter stating that this is no longer a problem.

But I honestly think you'll be fine.

All the best.

Edited by usaanduk

May I ask what country you are from? It might be helpful to see what the doctors used by the embassy you will be going thru look for. London works pretty much like usaanduk said but I can give you some details they want at Knightsbridge.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about what you've been through, I'm glad you've gotten help to get past it.

I had similar worries as I went to my interview as I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years, and at the time of my medical I had been on & off medication for about 2 years. I took in a note from my family physician explaining what I was taking, why, and that it's 100% controlled and monitored. The clinic suggested taking in a note from the family doctor for anything that could be deemed red flag without an explanation behind it.

I see that you're off medication, but it would still be worth a note from your physician explaining the circumstances behind it, that you've controlled it without medication, it was an isolated incident brought on by things you couldn't control, and that you have a history of reaching out when you need help.

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

This is sort of interesting, I was just talking to my fiancé about how I would be worried about my chances at getting approved for a visa based on a very similar past history with depression. (I'm a USC, so it's not relevant, just was something I was thinking about).

That being said, as long as you have good documentation from your physician that you are currently being treated for the issue and have been relatively stable recently, I can't see it being much of an issue. Especially if the depression wasn't linked to any violent actions towards others or drug/alcohol dependencies, since that is what they are really worried about - not just sadness.

Just come prepared. Have a detailed statement from your doctor ready and be honest! Good luck and I am very glad you are doing better now! As someone who knows how it feels to come back from that sort of thing I see anyone who does it as an inspiration.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your replies and support. I am from the UK.

After reading more about things I'm now also worried about having travelled to the U.S. on an ESTA. It was after I'd been discharged from any mental health care for about 6months and I ticked no to the 'do you had a mental or physical' condition because I didn't believe I did at the time and haven't since. I'm frightened they will think I was trying to hide my past mistakes or something!

I didn't think twice about it at the time but now it's making me have doubts so I hope this won't be an issue :/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

After reading more about things I'm now also worried about having travelled to the U.S. on an ESTA. It was after I'd been discharged from any mental health care for about 6months and I ticked no to the 'do you had a mental or physical' condition because I didn't believe I did at the time and haven't since. I'm frightened they will think I was trying to hide my past mistakes or something!

I didn't think twice about it at the time but now it's making me have doubts so I hope this won't be an issue :/

I think you just chill and go to the medical. You should be fine.

K1 Visa Journey (I am the beneficiary) :dance: :dancing:

I-129F - Sent: September 16, 2015

I-129F - Received: September 17, 2015

NOA1 - E-Notification: September 22, 2015 NOA1 - Hard Copy: September 29, 2015

NOA2 - E-Notification: October 16, 2015 NOA2 - Hard Copy: October 24, 2015

NVC Received: November 3, 2015 NVC Case# Assigned; November 4, 2015

NVC Sent to Consulate: November 5, 2015

At Embassy-ready: November 9, 2015

Packet 3 received - November 20, 2015  Packet 3 sent - November 30, 2015

Medicals - December 4, 2015

Packet 4 receiver - December 17, 2015

Interview - January 20, 2016 -- Approved!!!

Visa received - January 29, 2016

POE - May 15, 2016

05/27/2016 - MARRIED!!!

AOS

05/31/2016 - AOS & EAD & AP applications mailed via USPS priority mail

06/01/2016 - Delivered to Chicago and signed for.

06/05/2016 - NOA1 Received (Electronic notices) all 3

06/06/2016 - Check of $1070 fee for AOS (I-485) was cashed

06/09/2016 - NOA1 Received (All 3 Hard copies date 06/03/2016)

06/17/2016 - Biometrics letter received (dated 06/11/2016 and appointment 06/28/2016)  06/20/2016 Biometrics done - Walked in.

07/14/2016 Case update online (RFIE i-485)

07/18/2016 RFIE Received Hard copy (Birth Certificate - Not an easy fix) PAUSED

07/21/2016 RFIE sent to NBC

07/22/2016 RFIE Received by NBC -signed

07/27/2016 RFIE Response Received

08/17/2016 Service request online...

11/30/2016 AOS Card Produced

12/05/2016 Approval Notice Received (Hard copies) Case Status for I-485 updated to "Card was mailed to me"

12/08/2016 Green Card Received

ROC - i-751

08/31/2018 - ROC i-751 applications mailed via USPS priority mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Don't worry you'll be fine, I can give you my experiences if you like, feel free to PM me :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm wondering how you got on since posting this? I'm really interested in hearing your story as it's very identical to my own, although my experience was 11 years ago and had actually forgotten about it having moved on and put all that behind me.

I'm early in the process, waiting for NOA2 but the medical and past history with depression and silly OD is getting me nervous.

I will not look back on this journey with fond memories, but I will look back knowing that every step was worth it, whatever the outcome.

K-1

Spoiler

I-129f sent - December 30 2015
NOA1 received - January 4 2016
Hard copy received - January 11 2016
RFE notice - February 29 2016 (56 days)
Hard copy received - March 4 2016
RFE receipt - March 09 2016 (9 days)

NOA2 received - March 16 2016 (72 days from NOA1)

NVC received - April 06 2016 (21 days from NOA2)

Medical - April 15 2016

Packet 3 received - April 16 2016

Interview - June 01 2016 (wedding postponed) - APPROVED!!

Visa in hand - June 09 2016

Flying home - June 17 2016 - POE JFK - check out my POE review for details

Wedding - July 14 2016

AOS

I-485 - 08/24/16

NOA1 - 09/01/16 Biometrics - 09/26/16

EAD - 11/04/16

AP - 11/05/16

Card delivered - 11/19/16

Driving license - 11/30/16

New job - 12/01/16

I-485 approved - 02/10/17 - Interview waived

ROC

I-751 - 11/30/18

NOA1 - 01/25/19

Biometrics - 07/01/19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.