TheResistance

The Manila Airport Bullet Scam

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee told me about this, and I just read it in the news. Security people slipping bullets into people's bags to make some scamming bucks, else they get arrested!! So now I fear that when she goes for her interviews, what if that happens? What if she is hurt? I heard lots of crimes occur against women there too, especially the travelers. She be there for days, alone.

Thoughts? Anyone gone there with any problems?

Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Phil. Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You are worrying WAY too much ... that was a random event at NAIA not an everyday occurrence.

As for at the embassy it would be extremely difficult for that to happen as your fiancee's bag is never out of her view. There is security outside the embassy as well.

Tons of other things to "worry about" ... ;)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My fiancee told me about this, and I just read it in the news. Security people slipping bullets into people's bags to make some scamming bucks, else they get arrested!! So now I fear that when she goes for her interviews, what if that happens? What if she is hurt? I heard lots of crimes occur against women there too, especially the travelers. She be there for days, alone.

Thanks.

Hi there :)

Just let your fiance know that she needs to pay extra attention on her belongings esp at NAIA airport. Once she's out on the airport, don't worry too much since it's not that scary outside the airport, she just needs to be careful.

I will be leaving too next week for my sick mom and I tell you, I'm also paranoid about this so I'd rather bring 1 carry on luggage instead. There are tips to get away with this scam

http://www.wheninmanila.com/dont-panic-what-to-do-when-you-are-victimized-of-laglag-bala-in-naia/#qF1cZ7klgDyiDlEJ.01

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

You are worrying WAY too much ... that was a random event at NAIA not an everyday occurrence.

As for at the embassy it would be extremely difficult for that to happen as your fiancee's bag is never out of her view. There is security outside the embassy as well.

Hi Hank, how are you? :) I'm so paranoid going home I tell you but this NAIA scam is all true , take a look at this

http://pinoytrendingnews.net/wife-of-former-naia-employee-confirms-syndicate-behind-tanim-bala/

Yes you're right since I'll be going home next week, I'll pay extra attention to my luggage at all times. Wish me luck

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Hank, how are you? :) I'm so paranoid going home I tell you but this NAIA scam is all true , take a look at this

http://pinoytrendingnews.net/wife-of-former-naia-employee-confirms-syndicate-behind-tanim-bala/

Yes you're right since I'll be going home next week, I'll pay extra attention to my luggage at all times. Wish me luck

We are good. Got back from the Phils in August, we were there for 3 months visiting.

Yes it is all over youtube also ... very scary. And the Philippine government is cracking down on it big time. Plus all the world is watching this from the aspect of air travel security. This bullet thing makes security at NAIA a joke to the world. The government has to be all over this one.. they have no choice.

You will be fine. And yes... always keep a close eye on your luggage, even at airports in the USA.

Are you all going back for a visit or just you?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi there :)

Just let your fiance know that she needs to pay extra attention on her belongings esp at NAIA airport. Once she's out on the airport, don't worry too much since it's not that scary outside the airport, she just needs to be careful.

I will be leaving too next week for my sick mom and I tell you, I'm also paranoid about this so I'd rather bring 1 carry on luggage instead. There are tips to get away with this scam

http://www.wheninmanila.com/dont-panic-what-to-do-when-you-are-victimized-of-laglag-bala-in-naia/#qF1cZ7klgDyiDlEJ.01

actually there are crimes outside the airports too.. like holdap, pick pocket..

Edited by minions2

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks.

Manila is the armpit of the Philippines.

Full of scammers and prostitutes and beggars, they try to prey on anyone they can. Taxi drivers try to rip off people, Jeepney drivers try to rip off people.

Timeline

Random? 30 people in 12 months. Several in two weeks. After it hit International attention, another one yesterday? It may be random by people, but they are targeting. I do not need to be worrying now that my fiancee will be hit up on a fake scam and asked for money or sex or face jail time. I do not care if these people have shot guns and such. If this happened to me in an airport, shooting me is the only way to get me not to make a scene if they did it to me. I do not have money to make a trip to protect her. All I can do is pray that God is going to keep her safe. I hope He hears me on this.

These kinds of things are standard occurrences in the Philippines and other countries in the region. I would not worry about it as there are more scams day to day in the streets there than this bullet scam thing. Especially if you're a foreigner visitng there. Not that long ago, it was not even unheard of to be sitting at an outdoors table having lunch or a drink and a cop would throw drugs on you in broad daylight and you'd be forced to pay bribe. That is just the norm there.

Edited by JL818

Timeline

My worry is not that if they question her and 1-2h she is out from being questioned, but if she is asked to pay or have sex or face jail, what can I do so far away? Man, I have this worry just when she goes to the store in Singapore. She be leaving her hometown of Iloilo to go to Manila when it is interview time. I am stuck in America trying to pay rent. See my dilemma? :cry: I am very worried. No idea how you lot handle it. Yes, America has its issues but at least I know how to handle myself physically (however, financially I am stuck).

:protest: against evil!

Maybe I am worrying too much as Hank suggested. Sure, not a day to day thing there in their airports, but then again, not a day to day thing that I do not look at people wondering what they scheming. I have had enough of people with money and power causing harm in my life and to those I want to protect. Five years now of pain being affected by such evil and compassionate people (banks, IRS, etc) destroying what I am trying to hold on to. You know?

Just, what do I do if she is in trouble, you know?

Gah! I need food......

To be honest, you are worrying way too much over nothing... believe me, day to day life in the Philippines is FAR more perilous than the Manila airport. And I don't understand your concern about the store in Singapore? SIngapore is many many times safer than even the safest city in America.

Timeline

Yea, I do worry. Because I know way too much about the evils of the world and what those people do to the innocent, especially when it comes to the people we love and care for. I guess I will calm about it.

:clock:

Manila is the armpit of the Philippines.

Full of scammers and prostitutes and beggars, they try to prey on anyone they can. Taxi drivers try to rip off people, Jeepney drivers try to rip off people.

I was in Manila for about 5 days. I saw both good and bad things there. No scammers or prostitutes but plenty of beggars. I had a taxi driver try to rip me off on a ride from the embassy to Mall of Asia and my fiance flipped out on him over 100p. I have never seen her that angry and I hope I never do anything to make her that angry hahaha. A couple other times I had people try to over charge me for things too because I am a foregner. I would say if you are a foregner there don't go anywhere without a Filipino you can trust. My fiance wouldn't let me out of her sight for one minute. If she saw someone trying to rip me off she told me not to buy what they were selling and go somewhere else. As far Taxis and tricycles go I had a couple try to rip me off but I also had some that charged a fair price and went out of their way to help me. Those are the ones I gave tips to. Maybe I haven't been in Manila long enough but I think there are good and bad people there just like everywhere else.

My worry is not that if they question her and 1-2h she is out from being questioned, but if she is asked to pay or have sex or face jail, what can I do so far away? Man, I have this worry just when she goes to the store in Singapore. She be leaving her hometown of Iloilo to go to Manila when it is interview time. I am stuck in America trying to pay rent. See my dilemma? :cry: I am very worried. No idea how you lot handle it. Yes, America has its issues but at least I know how to handle myself physically (however, financially I am stuck).

:protest: against evil!

Maybe I am worrying too much as Hank suggested. Sure, not a day to day thing there in their airports, but then again, not a day to day thing that I do not look at people wondering what they scheming. I have had enough of people with money and power causing harm in my life and to those I want to protect. Five years now of pain being affected by such evil and compassionate people (banks, IRS, etc) destroying what I am trying to hold on to. You know?

Just, what do I do if she is in trouble, you know?

Gah! I need food......

I hear you about being stuck in America trying to pay rent. I am now working overtime 6 days a week so I can afford to go back in Febuary to get married. After that it will probably be a year or so (as long as the visa process takes) before we see each other again because my employer wont let me have any more time off work to go back. I hope to be able to go back when she has her interview but I'm not sure if I can at this point. Until then all we have is an unreliable phone/internet connection to talk to each other (I wont even get into how disappointed we are with Globe Mobile). Gotta love how the illegals cross the Southern border and get "amnesty" but if you are married to an American you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and wait a long time to be together. I spoke with more than one immigration attorney who told me before a certain person became president the immigration process was much faster. I wont get into that any more because that is a topic for another place and time.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.