28 posts in this topic

Ok, so I have a very off-topic, yet important question.

When I come over the the US as a UK national at the age of 25 I understand that I'd have to register for the selective service as it's imperative to eventually gain US citizenship. Now, by the time I receive my Green Card I'll be about 3 months shy of 26 years old.

My main question is being shy of 26 by 3 months: do I still have to register? When do I register? Do I wait until my Green Card to register? Is there any other information to know?

Edited by CharlieTanger

ALL males, even non-citizens must register. Including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, those seeking asylum, and refugees. They only non-citizen exceptions are those on a valid student or visitor visa, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families.

By not registering you are giving up your right for certain Federal benefits including naturalization.

Still have doubts? Look at this chart:

https://www.sss.gov/Portals/0/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You need your SS# to register for Selective Service. Most likely, if you are non-us citizen, the Selective Service system won't recognize you and you won't be able to register online. But there is an option there, to submit, so you can register, sending in the regular mail. Later, when they register you, you can "see" you in the system, and you also will have confirmation of your registration. You can print it out and also you will receive the regular mail. Usually, within 30-60 days :)

Edited by Vicha

Timeline

"According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service can accept a late registration but not after a man has reached his 26th birthday.

Some men may have failed to register during the time they were eligible to do so and may now find they are ineligible for certain benefits:

• federal student loans and grant programs
  • federal job training under the Workforce Investment Act
  • federal jobs or security clearance as a contractor
  • U.S. citizenship for immigrants"

You should do it ASAP !!! :)

USCIS will likely automatically register you upon submitting your I-485 (there is a declaration on the last page of the I-485 to that effect).

You can call Selective Service and ask if you have already been registered, thus removing any requirement for you to register again.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Nope... If he was registered, he would already have received the confirmation of this action via regular mail from Selective Service Office, as a proof of registration.

“…it shall be the duty of every male citizen of the United States, and every other male person residing in the United States, who … is between the ages of eighteen and twenty-six, to present himself for and submit to registration...”

Section 453(a), Military Selective Service Act

Anyway, USCIS doesn't register automatically ANYBODY.. And none Gov. institution does. It's not their business at all, it's all about YOUR responsibility - to register or not.

Edited by Vicha

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

USCIS will likely automatically register you upon submitting your I-485 (there is a declaration on the last page of the I-485 to that effect).

You can call Selective Service and ask if you have already been registered, thus removing any requirement for you to register again.

From the I-485: Selective Service Registration

The following applies to you if you are a male at least 18 years of age, but not yet 26 years of age, who is required to register with the Selective Service System: "I understand that my filing Form I-485 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) authorizes USCIS to provide certain registration information to the Selective Service System in accordance with the Military Selective Service Act. Upon USCIS acceptance of my application, I authorize USCIS to transmit to the Selective Service System my name, current address, Social Security Number, date of birth, and the date I filed the application for the purpose of recording my Selective Service registration as of the filing date. If, however, USCIS does not accept my application, I further understand that, if so required, I am responsible for registering with the Selective Service by other means, provided I have not yet reached 26 years of age."

It's still the indidivual's responsibilty. I would not count on USCIS registering anyone for Selective Service. Too many people count on USCIS registering them for their Social Security cards and not get them. The last few sentences above puts the responsibilty and penalties on the individual even if USCIS fails to register the person based on the I-485.

Nope... If he was registered, he would already have received the confirmation of this action via regular mail from Selective Service Office, as a proof of registration.

USCIS doesn't register automatically ANYBODY.. And none Gov. institution does. It's not their business at all, it's all about YOUR responsibility - to register or not.

You are mistaken, and do not seem to fully understand Selective Service registration. As stated above, USCIS will often register a male whose age falls between 18-25 on the day they file an I-485. This is stated on the I-485 itself. In addition, most (all?) state DMVs will automatically register a man when they go to obtain a driver's licence or ID card for the first time. This is likewise stated on the relevant application form.

It's still the indidivual's responsibilty. I would not count on USCIS registering anyone for Selective Service. Too many people count on USCIS registering them for their Social Security cards and not get them. The last few sentences above puts the responsibilty and penalties on the individual even if USCIS fails to register the person based on the I-485.

Agreed, hence why I said the OP should call SS and ask.

Edited by Hypnos

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Timeline

You are mistaken, and do not seem to fully understand Selective Service registration. As stated above, USCIS will often register a male whose age falls between 18-25 on the day they file an I-485. This is stated on the I-485 itself. In addition, most (all?) state DMVs will automatically register a man when they go to obtain a driver's licence or ID card for the first time. This is likewise stated on the relevant application form.

Agreed, hence why I said the OP should call SS and ask.

Ok, I might be mistaken :)

Anyway, every man who is registered with the Selective Service System receives a registration acknowledgement letter with a registration CARD in the mail from Selective Service. This is proof of your registration.

And as I've said before, he would have already received his Registration Acknowledgment Card as a Proof of his Registration with the Selective Service System, and it's no matter if USCIS made such registration or DMV - the letter comes to registered person's mail.

.. DMV doesn't do it automatically either. Well, maybe it depends on state, but not in Missouri. They ask you if you WANT them to register you, but they don't do it automatically here anyway.

Waiting for AOS approval over a year, my son had to visit DMV twice, to renew his Driver License. He has been asked every time if he wants DMV to register him for SS. But he did it himself, and within 30 days he received the registration letter along with the card.

Edited by Vicha

You do not always receive the registration card in the mail. You're meant to, it just doesn't always happen. I've seen several posts here of people who thought they didn't register and now found it was too late for them to do so, only to learn USCIS had automatically registered them via their I-485.

Edited by Hypnos

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Timeline

You do not always receive the registration card in the mail. You're meant to, it just doesn't always happen. I've seen several posts here of people who thought they didn't register and now found it was too late for them to do so, only to learn USCIS had automatically registered them via their I-485.

I'm really happy for those people, who were successfully registered by USCIS. But at the same time so many stories here, about N400 denial for not been registered for Selective Service..

You know, it's really funny about VJ?.. Sometimes a person, who originally asked a question, is silent, not saying any word :) :) Do hope, CharlieTanger has found the answer and everything is really fine with his registration :idea:

Only willful lack of Selective Service registration prevents you from being able to be successfully naturalised. If you were unaware of your obligation to register, and a status information letter from SS agrees with that, you can still naturalise.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.