clairegie

my experience traveling with EAD/AP Combo Card

12 posts in this topic

So.. I just got back from the Philippines last Feb. 18, 2015 and thought of sharing my experience.

It starts at the Philippine airport (NAIA Terminal 2). At check-in, they asked me for proof that I am admissible to the US. They need to make sure they wont get in any trouble for allowing/carrying you on board their plane to USA. I showed the lady my combo card and she has never seen it before. She asks for my greencard so I explain to her why I have the combo card instead and what it's for. She goes to her supervisor who is equally clueless about it so they decided to just go ahead and give me my ticket and a small yellow form I had to fill out, then told me show my combo card to the customs officer who would know more about it. At customs, I gave them my passport, combo card, and that little yellow sheet and no questions were asked.

After 12 hours ... Arrived at LAX 6:00AM

I asked the lady assisting passengers if I should line up at the Visitors or Permanent Resident/Citizen lane, and she said just line up anywhere since everywhere is pretty much empty. She also said that she usually asks combo card users to line up at the Visitor lane though. I handed the CBP officer my passport, customs declaration paper, and my combo card. He asked me what food I brought in since I checked that on the declaration paper. And then he asked me to put my fingers on their machine for fingerprinting.

He continued checking my documents and looked extremely lost so I offered my AP NOA2 letter which he gladly accepted. He said the letter was familiar to him, but the combo card wasn't. He even asked if I had a letter/form with a picture on the bottom right of it, to which I said no. (no idea what letter he was referring to.) After checking things on his computer, he kept my documents and just asked me to stand near by and an officer will come get me for my secondary inspection.

The 2nd officer then brought me to an office nearby. I think it was called the Admissibility Office. He just asked me to go in and sit and reminded me that cellphone use is prohibited. It was pretty early and there were only 3 other people there who were also in the same flight I was, so I only had to wait about 10 mins to get called. The officer just asked if I was travelling alone, nothing else. He checked if I was out of status at any point. (I was, but was below 180 days. I had no arrests or convictions and my record was clean). He just wrote and typed a lot and then gave me a small paper detailing that I was admitted to the US on parole which is good for 1 year. I verified if my pending petition for adjustment would get affected, and he said No and I was good to go. He said that since I have No status as my adjustment petition is still pending, the paper lets me stay for 1 more year until a decision is made on my AOS. I just handed my passport and parole form to the lady at the desk before leaving the office, and then I collected my bags and went on to my connecting flight to NC. I arrived in Jacksonville, NC around 9pm and found my loving husband waiting for me with a bouquet of flowers. (Ehem! Guys, this is a really sweet thing to do.. :rolleyes: )

It was scary since my entry back into the US was relying on someone else's discretion and the combo card was not an assurance that I could get back in. I read a lot of stories about it here on VJ but I still didn't know what to expect. But overall, the entire experience was not as stressful as I expected. I was prepared to show all my papers, including NOA2's, the letter that came with the combo card, and my marriage certificate etc., but he never asked me for it. Still, its better to keep these things in your carry-on since not a lot of CBP officers are aware that the combo card even exists. There ya go, hopefully this will help others who are planning to come back in using the combo card.

Edited by iammrsregie

Do I have this right. You traveled on your combo card prior to you receiving your GC. Right? :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Technically, the combo card gives you a privilege to enter the US, not a right. It got you back in, and no reason why it should not, but a privilege is more fragile than a right, hence all the cautionary stuff.

Did you file your AOS within 90 days of your arrival in the US? We know that a late filing gets accepted and processed just fine, but technically it puts you out of status until you get your GC. That might be what the talk was about out of status and the one year probation.

All in all, I would not worry any further. If you want complete peace of mind that this will not affect your AOS you can talk to an immigration lawyer, but I don't see any real need. Everything you did was in good faith.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good info. Good idea to carry a copy of your NOA for AOS, I will try to remember that.

It does state on the USCIS website that entry is still at the discretion of the CBP agent, which can always be scary.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good write up

How long have they been giving these AP/EAD Combo cards?

A few years ago you just got a piece of paper stating AP and or EAD.........

So.. I just got back from the Philippines last Feb. 18, 2015 and thought of sharing my experience.

It starts at the Philippine airport (NAIA Terminal 2). At check-in, they asked me for proof that I am admissible to the US. They need to make sure they wont get in any trouble for allowing/carrying you on board their plane to USA. I showed the lady my combo card and she has never seen it before. She asks for my greencard so I explain to her why I have the combo card instead and what it's for. She goes to her supervisor who is equally clueless about it so they decided to just go ahead and give me my ticket and a small yellow form I had to fill out, then told me show my combo card to the customs officer who would know more about it. At customs, I gave them my passport, combo card, and that little yellow sheet and no questions were asked.

I asked the lady assisting passengers if I should line up at the Visitors or Permanent Resident/Citizen lane, and she said just line up anywhere since everywhere is pretty much empty. She also said that she usually asks combo card users to line up at the Visitor lane though. I handed the CBP officer my passport, customs declaration paper, and my combo card. He asked me what food I brought in since I checked that on the declaration paper. And then he asked me to put my fingers on their machine for fingerprinting.

He continued checking my documents and looked extremely lost so I offered my AP NOA2 letter which he gladly accepted. He said the letter was familiar to him, but the combo card wasn't. He even asked if I had a letter/form with a picture on the bottom right of it, to which I said no. (no idea what letter he was referring to.) After checking things on his computer, he kept my documents and just asked me to stand near by and an officer will come get me for my secondary inspection.

The 2nd officer then brought me to an office nearby. I think it was called the Admissibility Office. He just asked me to go in and sit and reminded me that cellphone use is prohibited. It was pretty early and there were only 3 other people there who were also in the same flight I was, so I only had to wait about 10 mins to get called. The officer just asked if I was travelling alone, nothing else. He checked if I was out of status at any point. (I was, but was below 180 days. I had no arrests or convictions and my record was clean). He just wrote and typed a lot and then gave me a small paper detailing that I was admitted to the US on parole which is good for 1 year. I verified if my pending petition for adjustment would get affected, and he said No and I was good to go. He said that since I have No status as my adjustment petition is still pending, the paper lets me stay for 1 more year until a decision is made on my AOS. I just handed my passport and parole form to the lady at the desk before leaving the office, and then I collected my bags and went on to my connecting flight to NC. I arrived in Jacksonville, NC around 9pm and found my loving husband waiting for me with a bouquet of flowers. (Ehem! Guys, this is a really sweet thing to do.. :rolleyes: )

It was scary since my entry back into the US was relying on someone else's discretion and the combo card was not an assurance that I could get back in. I read a lot of stories about it here on VJ but I still didn't know what to expect. But overall, the entire experience was not as stressful as I expected. I was prepared to show all my papers, including NOA2's, the letter that came with the combo card, and my marriage certificate etc., but he never asked me for it. Still, its better to keep these things in your carry-on since not a lot of CBP officers are aware that the combo card even exists. There ya go, hopefully this will help others who are planning to come back in using the combo card.

What's the combo card? is the cr1 visa can also have it?

Your from Jacksonville im here in Fayetteville :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Good write up

How long have they been giving these AP/EAD Combo cards?

A few years ago you just got a piece of paper stating AP and or EAD.........

5 years, iirc.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. What's the combo card?

2. is the cr1 visa can also have it?

3. Your from Jacksonville im here in Fayetteville :)

1. a card given to k-1 visa holders who AOS and apply for the I-765 and I-131. One handles work authorization, the other advance parole.

2. no. no need. read your visa foil stamp inside of the passport, for 'why'.

3. OOOOOH - I smell a meet up at Disney !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

1. a card given to k-1 visa holders who AOS and apply for the I-765 and I-131. One handles work authorization, the other advance parole.

2. no. no need. read your visa foil stamp inside of the passport, for 'why'.

3. OOOOOH - I smell a meet up at Disney !

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

What's the combo card? is the cr1 visa can also have it?

Your from Jacksonville im here in Fayetteville :)

You don't need one you have a green card, and if that hasn't arrived yet you have the stamp in your passport which gives you the same benefits and privileges.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 7 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Awesome story, I was worried about not being admitted at the POE!

Thanks for sharing your story!

My AOS journey from F-1 Student Visa

September 30, 2015 - Mailed AOS packet (I-130, I-485, I-131 & I-765)

October 01, 2015 - Package delivered to USCIS (Chicago Lockbox), signed by CHYBA

October 07, 2015 - Both checks were cashed out and got all the four NOA1's by both, email and text message for I-130, I-148, I-131 & I-765

October 13, 2015 - Received the four NOA1's in the regular mail

October 16, 2015 - Got the Appointment letter in the mail, scheduled for 11/06/2015

October 20, 2015 - Successful early Biometrics walk-in at the Orlando ASC

December 26, 2015 - Received the EAD/AP combo card in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.