UncleBeer

Obama To Allow 100,000 Haitians To Immigrate To U.S. Without Visas

220 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

In the assertion that Americans have more earning power in their own country than unskilled Haitians brought in by O'bama as charity cases? :rofl:

Are you making the assumption that everyone who is allowed to immigrate from Haiti is unskilled, just because they may be allowed to immigrate without visas because of the continued impact of the devastating earthquake they suffered? I don't think that's a rofl laughing matter to be honest. It's a silly assumption that seems likely to be based in bigotry. I can't really understand why else you would assume that everyone in a country is unskilled.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Filed: Timeline

Are you making the assumption that everyone who is allowed to immigrate from Haiti is unskilled, just because they may be allowed to immigrate without visas because of the continued impact of the devastating earthquake they suffered? I don't think that's a rofl laughing matter to be honest. It's a silly assumption that seems likely to be based in bigotry. I can't really understand why else you would assume that everyone in a country is unskilled.

Pretty civilized post; thank you.

Can we agree that literacy directly affects one's suitability for skilled labor? That seems like a fair assumption. Current stats re: literacy:

Haiti: 52.9%

USA: 99%

Show me the "bigotry" in these figures?

Pretty civilized post; thank you.

Can we agree that literacy directly affects one's suitability for skilled labor? That seems like a fair assumption. Current stats re: literacy:

Haiti: 52.9%

USA: 99%

Show me the "bigotry" in these figures?

The problem is that you are assuming that all the visas will be granted to illiterates, because half the population is illiterate and then on top of that that being illiterate necessarily means being unskilled. That's too many assumptions and based on what? That you don't like Obama so he's only likely to grant asylum to illiterates? That seems to me a stretch but maybe you can fill in the gaps for me?

Assumptions made on the basis of broad statistics. That's clearly not stereotyping is it...

It seems that very few people actually understand why this is a bad idea and whether or not you mean to, basing your opinions on these stereotypes is bigoted. It really is that simple.

52% of Haitians are illiterate - so clearly 5 out of 10 entering the US must be :rolleyes:

Not even close, the assumption was made that 10 out of 10 who were allowed to enter the US would be. I am not certain why, it's still not clear from what has been posted. All that is clear is that what was posted makes it out that 100% of Haitians who are being allowed to immigrate to the US without visas are of no value to the US. That's pretty shocking really.

The problem is that you are assuming that all the visas will be granted to illiterates, because half the population is illiterate and then on top of that that being illiterate necessarily means being unskilled. That's too many assumptions and based on what? That you don't like Obama so he's only likely to grant asylum to illiterates? That seems to me a stretch but maybe you can fill in the gaps for me?

And you're assuming that 99+% of Haitian refugees will be literate. That seems mighty improbable.

Poo-poo stats all you want; they still tell a credible story (that you don't yet seem to be able to refute in a substantive or authoritative manner).

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The irony of it all is when you find the pot using statistics to call the pot black...

Some of these threads read like franchises of the Twilight Zone...

Well statistics should never be used to make generalisations about individuals.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

And you're assuming that 99+% of Haitian refugees will be literate. That seems mighty improbable.

Poo-poo stats all you want; they still tell a credible story (that you don't yet seem to be able to refute in a substantive or authoritative manner).

Why do you say that? I haven't said what percentage of refugees may be literate, I don't know, but it is certainly wrong to assume that all will, or even most will and that all will have less value to the US than the indigenous population, which is EXACTLY what you said. Run around in circles all you like trying to suggest that I have made an assumption but I haven't so you will be wasting your time.

Why do you say that? I haven't said what percentage of refugees may be literate, I don't know, but it is certainly wrong to assume that all will, or even most will and that all will have less value to the US than the indigenous population, which is EXACTLY what you said. Run around in circles all you like trying to suggest that I have made an assumption but I haven't so you will be wasting your time.

Lessee: One population is 99% literate, and the 'invading' (for want of a better word) population is only 53% literate. What are the chances that any given 'invader' is more likely to be literate than any given 'home team' member? Do you know? Can you guess? Or do you simply throw up your hands, screaming "there's no way to know, and you're a racist anyway!"? <_<

If you can't understand this, it's entirely possible your discalculic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Someone is frantically thumbing through their dictionary right now, and it aint Cleo.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Lessee: One population is 99% literate, and the 'invading' (for want of a better word) population is only 53% literate. What are the chances that any given 'invader' is more likely to be literate than any given 'home team' member? Do you know? Can you guess? Or do you simply throw up your hands, screaming "there's no way to know, and you're a racist anyway!"? <_<

You call refugees invaders? Really? Illiterate invaders that have nothing to contribute to the US? Are you still claiming that you are not putting forward a bigoted view point here? It is certainly safe to assume that you don't think much of the average Haitian, that much is quite plain.