9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi everybody! Today NVC approved my case for expedite and sent it to the embassy. YAY!!!

I was wondering if anyone has had their case expedite at the NVC level and how that works from there? It was sent to the Chilean Embassy, but since I don't know what to expect from here, I would appreciate any help or information. Like for example, how long after the case is forwarded to the embassy does it take to schedule an interview? How payment of fees and sending of documents work? Do they simply ask for me to take these documents at the interview

I would really appreciate any information anyone could give me :)

Have a great day everybody :)

Edited by ausikimmons

Hi,

May i know how did you expedite bec im planning to file expedite for my family at nvc stage. Do i need case number from nvc before filing expedite or i could file as soon as uscis approval? I received approval form uscis 2weeks ago. Can you please teach me how did you file expedite. Thank you

Timeline

Well, I requested an expedite as soon as NVC told me they received my case. However, they still had to wait to assign it a case number in order to approve the expedite. So, I don't really think requesting an expedite before a case number is assigned hurries them to give you a case number before the 20-30 days time-frame, since the expedite department and the inquiry department are different. It will, however - if they approve the expedite request - be sent to the embassy as soon as a case number is given. In my case it sill took 24 days for a case number to be assigned.

Regarding the expedite request itself, I cannot tell you what you could do to receive an approval, since it depends on your embassy not on NVC. The NVC receives the expedite request and forwards it to the embassy. YOUR embassy will decide whether your case needs to be expedited or not. The most common reasons are life/death diseases and military deployment. HOWEVER, from what I have seen and understood, the amount of petitions a specific embassy handles, the volume of frauds from the country, and whether you give reasonable arguments to request an expedite will all make a difference in the embassy's decision. I think that having an US citizen with you, also makes a difference. For example, I am here in Chile with my TWO little kids who are both US citizens.

So in the end, it will depend on your embassy's criteria and how many people's case are in front of yours. Hope this helps!

And I still would appreciate anybody out there who has had their case expedited at the NVC level or who know about it to give me some information :)

Edited by ausikimmons

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hi everybody! Today NVC approved my case for expedite and sent it to the embassy. YAY!!!

I was wondering if anyone has had their case expedite at the NVC level and how that works from there? It was sent to the Chilean Embassy, but since I don't know what to expect from here, I would appreciate any help or information. Like for example, how long after the case is forwarded to the embassy does it take to schedule an interview? How payment of fees and sending of documents work? Do they simply ask for me to take these documents at the interview

I would really appreciate any information anyone could give me :)

Have a great day everybody :)

What was your reason for expedite?

My wife is in Honduras with our two daughters ONE of which has had her birth abroad filed with the consulate office and is a USC. I am not quite clear on what your reason was --

I requested an expedite more than once both directly and trough my congressman and having a USC with my wife was NOT an acceptable reason. There must be more to the reasons they granted an expedite.

thanks I am only

curious....

MY JOURNEY

2009-03-03 - Married in San Pedro Sula, Cortez, Honduras

2011-07-11 - Our second Daughter is Born in La Ceiba, Atlántida, Honduras

2013-04-15 Consular Report of Birth Abroad Completed- she is USA Citizen

We are a family of four-

TWO I130 CASES - running concurrently One for my wife and Second for my stepdaughter

USCIS
2013-08-20 - NOA1 - Priority Date established
2014-02-27 - NOA2 - after transfer to California Service Center in January

7 MONTHS and 23 DAYS at USCIS

NVC

2014-04-11 - NVC case Number & IIN Assigned

2014-04-15 - DS-261 online done and accepted

2014-04-29 - DS-260 completed online and approved on 5/14/2014

AOS

2014-04-16 - I-864 INVOICE Generated and paid

2014-04-21 - I-864 Package sent via FedEx

2014-04-22 - I-864 Package at NVC Signed for by B Standish 9:21 am FedEx

2014-05-14- I-864 package on case approved

IV

2014-04-24 - IV INVOICE Generated and paid

2014-05-02 - IV packets sent via FedEx scanned on 05/05/2014 approved on 5/29/2014 - 24 days

2014-05-29 - Case ONE OF TWO completed, 48 days

2014-06-20- CASES(s) complete Case TWO took 71 days (checklist)

Consulate

2014-08-13- POE --FT Lauderdale, FLA for my wife

221(g) additional follow up required with Consulate

2015-06-19- POE FT Lauderdale, FLA fro my Stepdaughter

So what usually happens is that as soon as your embassy receives your case they send you the next set of instructions (packet 3). With this you send back affidavit of support, police clearance, original docs etc. Once they get this you will receive your appointment letter together with your medical instructions. The entire process is very fast. Don't go off my timeline as I had a few speed bumps. All fees are payable on the day you interview.

05-19-2012 - Met in Seoul, Korea

03-30-2013 - Married in Washington State

USCIS

01-03-2014 - I-130 Package sent to Chicago lockbox

01-10-2014 - NOA1. Case sent to Texas Service Center

01-14-2014 - Expedite requested due to military deployment

02-04-2014 - NOA2 (Expedite approved)

02-28-2014 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC

03-11-2014 - NVC received case

04-10-2014 - NVC case number assigned

04-15-2014 - DS-261 completed online

04-15-2014 - Expedite requested

04-28-2014 - Case forwarded to consulate (Expedite approved)

Consulate

05-30-2014 - Medical

06-12-2014 - Interview

06-20-2014 - Visa in hand

09-21-2014 - POE (San Francisco)

Timeline

What was your reason for expedite?

My wife is in Honduras with our two daughters ONE of which has had her birth abroad filed with the consulate office and is a USC. I am not quite clear on what your reason was --

I requested an expedite more than once both directly and trough my congressman and having a USC with my wife was NOT an acceptable reason. There must be more to the reasons they granted an expedite.

thanks I am only

curious....

Hi! Well, I never mentioned in this thread my reasons for expediting. I only told pinoyako10 some of the reasons I THINK helps a case to get an approval for an expedite request. The NVC DOES NOT make the decision to approve or not your expedite request, but your embassy does. Therefore, as I mentioned earlier, there are many things that affect that decision, and having a USC with you is only one of those. Some of these other things are whether or not YOUR WIFE'S EMBASSY has to handle a high number of interviews requests per month, whether or not the applicant's country (in your case Honduras) has a high volume of frauds, and whether or not you have valid, good reasons for requesting an expedite.

In my case, I gave more than one reason for requesting an expedite and that was probably analyzed in conjunction with the fact that Chile handles a very low amount of immediate relative interviews per month compared to other countries, the fact that Chile's volume of fraud is VERY low and the fact that I have two USC children with me. So, in my case I think it was a group of things together - again, I gave more than one reason why my case should be expedite - than just one thing. If you want to know my specific reasons for expediting write me a message and I'll be happy to list all of them to you :)

Edited by ausikimmons

Timeline

So what usually happens is that as soon as your embassy receives your case they send you the next set of instructions (packet 3). With this you send back affidavit of support, police clearance, original docs etc. Once they get this you will receive your appointment letter together with your medical instructions. The entire process is very fast. Don't go off my timeline as I had a few speed bumps. All fees are payable on the day you interview.

Hi Li_09! Thank you for the reply! I actually thought about writing you directly ;) This certainly does clarify how the whole thing works since I was wondering if it would be much faster or if all I was cutting out was just the 1-month time between case complete and interview date. Well, I hope it really goes fast! Thank you so much again, and good luck with everything!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I waited until the day after NVC confirmed receipt of the file from USCIS. I also have an aide to my US Representative contacting NVC with the expedite request.

Here's my timeline on this so far:

05/14/2014 NOA2

06/02/2014 case received at NVC

06/04/2014 expedite request email sent to NVC

06/12/2014 email received FROM NVCexpedite@ requesting phone numbers in France for beneficiary

06/17/2014 phone call to NVC: no case number, no information

Hi,

May i know how did you expedite bec im planning to file expedite for my family at nvc stage. Do i need case number from nvc before filing expedite or i could file as soon as uscis approval? I received approval form uscis 2weeks ago. Can you please teach me how did you file expedite. Thank you

That's also a good idea but nothing happens without a case number. We put in a request when they first received our file, we still had to wait for a case number just like everyone else. Then finally once case number was assigned we resubmitted and were able to get things going

05-19-2012 - Met in Seoul, Korea

03-30-2013 - Married in Washington State

USCIS

01-03-2014 - I-130 Package sent to Chicago lockbox

01-10-2014 - NOA1. Case sent to Texas Service Center

01-14-2014 - Expedite requested due to military deployment

02-04-2014 - NOA2 (Expedite approved)

02-28-2014 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC

03-11-2014 - NVC received case

04-10-2014 - NVC case number assigned

04-15-2014 - DS-261 completed online

04-15-2014 - Expedite requested

04-28-2014 - Case forwarded to consulate (Expedite approved)

Consulate

05-30-2014 - Medical

06-12-2014 - Interview

06-20-2014 - Visa in hand

09-21-2014 - POE (San Francisco)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.