JOMA

working for a forign company while waiting for AOS

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dear fellow VJ's

Has somebody worked for a foreign company while waiting for AOS?

I have read numerous cases on this same forum that people intend to do so, but I would like to know if somebody actually have done this, sucessfully

I am a Canadian and when I have advised my company that I was moving to USA to marry and live with my fiance, my boss told me they want to keep me at least for a while. I already work from home and I will continue to have my canadian bank account.

I understand that since I am not taking the work of an US citizen and if I declare my earning in my next US tax, I will be ok.

Has somebody had the same experience?

Also, what do you say in the form G-325 A when they ask for your work history? do you add an additonal page explaining the situation?

thanks in advance for sharing your experince and for any advise you can provide me.

Best Regards,

Joma

Strictly speaking, once you get to the US and until you have authorization to work, you can't work for anyone, even a Canadian company. I lived in the US a few years ago as a Canadian journalist and had to have a special visa to allow me to work for a Canadian publication.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Working & Traveling During US Immigration - topic is working while waiting for green card, not K-1 process ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Strictly speaking, once you get to the US and until you have authorization to work, you can't work for anyone, even a Canadian company. I lived in the US a few years ago as a Canadian journalist and had to have a special visa to allow me to work for a Canadian publication.

Yes, until you have EAD or the GC, you can not legally work in the US, regardless of the company's origin.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Hi Guys,

thank you for getting back to me. However, I am quite confused with the responses. I have seen in other trails that this should not be an issue?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/394898-can-fiancehusband-continue-working-for-his-foreign-company-while-in-the-us/

Has anybody out there worked for their foreign company while waiting for AOS?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Dear fellow VJ's

Has somebody worked for a foreign company while waiting for AOS?

I have read numerous cases on this same forum that people intend to do so, but I would like to know if somebody actually have done this, sucessfully

I am a Canadian and when I have advised my company that I was moving to USA to marry and live with my fiance, my boss told me they want to keep me at least for a while. I already work from home and I will continue to have my canadian bank account.

I understand that since I am not taking the work of an US citizen and if I declare my earning in my next US tax, I will be ok.

Has somebody had the same experience?

Also, what do you say in the form G-325 A when they ask for your work history? do you add an additonal page explaining the situation?

thanks in advance for sharing your experince and for any advise you can provide me.

Best Regards,

Joma

If you are working from home for a foreign employer and being paid in Canada you can continue to work as you wait for your EAD. You will have to declare these earnings when you file taxes, but that is another story.

In your G-325A, you can list your employment history and list your current employment situation. You are not doing anything against the law.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Oh Gegel, you dont know how happy I am to read your post! :) thank you so much for clearing my doubt. Have you done this yourself or do you know anybody on the same situation as me?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Oh Gegel, you dont know how happy I am to read your post! :) thank you so much for clearing my doubt. Have you done this yourself or do you know anybody on the same situation as me?

I know of a couple of persons in the same situation.

Here is the litmus test: Is it a legal condition of your employment that you to be a legal US citizen or LPR? If the answer is 'NO', then you are not doing anything wrong. You don't need a EAD in order to be hired in Canada by a Canadian company.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.