thinicer

I-94 with wrong given name (contains first and middle)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I am helping my new wife, who arrived in the US on a K1, to apply for AOS. This morning we went down to the SS office to change her name, and we discovered there is a problem.

On her K1 visa, it has both her first and middle name as her "given name." Accordingly, when she entered the US, CBP filed her I-94 as her given name consisting of both her first and middle name.

I have called USCIS, CBP, SS and NVC without resolution to this because this is, obvilously, in error. We are very worried this is going to create an issue for AOS.

What should we do about this? How can we get this resolved?

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So, there is not really a mistake on the part of the CBP and the I-94 since the name on the K-1 visa is exactly how it is now on the I-94, correct? If the names were wrong on the K-1 visa, then why did you not contact the consulate to have it fixed before using it to enter the US?

I do not really know how you can get it fixed now, other than letting DoS know it is wrong and asking them what to do about it since you already used the visa to enter. I would suggest waiting on the SSN and filing for AOS and filling out the forms correctly, separating her first and middle names in the appropriate manner. The name used on the AOS forms is what should appear on the EAD/AP and green card. You can use the EAD/AP to get her SSN then in her correct name.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

So, there is not really a mistake on the part of the CBP and the I-94 since the name on the K-1 visa is exactly how it is now on the I-94, correct? If the names were wrong on the K-1 visa, then why did you not contact the consulate to have it fixed before using it to enter the US?

I do not really know how you can get it fixed now, other than letting DoS know it is wrong and asking them what to do about it since you already used the visa to enter. I would suggest waiting on the SSN and filing for AOS and filling out the forms correctly, separating her first and middle names in the appropriate manner. The name used on the AOS forms is what should appear on the EAD/AP and green card. You can use the EAD/AP to get her SSN then in her correct name.

We did not contact the consulate because my wife at the time jsaw her first and middle name on the visa and she thought it was ok. On her passport, the field "Given names" contains her first and middle name. On the visa, her first and middle name is part of "Given name" which is slightly different - she didn't notice it.

Do you happen to know who specifically I need to call at DoS? Which office?

Do you forsee any problem with AOS?

When we went to the SSA office to get my wife's SSN, the person who helped us had problems finding her in the system. She then put my wife's first and middle name and used that in the 'given name' spot. It worked and she said to her supervisor.....They did it again. (meaning they put her 1st and middle name together as her given name). Once she verified her name like this, she put the paperwork into the system and we got her SSN.

Aug 2, 2011 - Met online via a mutual friend.
Dec 2, 2011 - Vivian traveled to USA to attend a medical conference and had our first date. On Dec 10, 2011 - Vivian returned home.
May 15,2012 - Vivian traveled to USA to spend a month with me. smile.png
Sep 15,2012 - Met Vivian in Frankfurt Germany and on to Prague Czech Republic to celebrate our birthdays.
Sep 24, 2012 - Left Viena Austria. The last time I was with Vivian.
Nov 11, 2012 - Mailed in I-129F
Nov 19, 2012 - NOA1 recieved

June 13, 2013 - NOA2 approved.

June 17, 2013 - NOA2 hard copy received.

June 25, 2013 - Consulate received
July 7, 2013 - Packet 3 received

July 13, 2013 - Packet 3 sent

July 28, 2013 - Packet 4 received

Aug 22, 2013 - Interview scheduled and APPROVED!!! kicking.gif

Sept 17, 2013 - Visa in hand

Sept 18, 2013 - Traveled to USA - Arrived at Dulles Airport in Virginia.

Sept 20, 2013 - Wedding!!!

event.png

Timeline

It seems it matched her passport so there was no issue with her entering with it.

I do not know exactly who to contact, or if it can even be changed now. You can try the consulate and DoS to see what they say > http://travel.state.gov/visa/about/how/how_1463.html

I do not think there would be an issue with AOS. Some people take their maiden name and switch it to their middle name when taking their husband's last name after marriage and it seems to be accepted by the USCIS. So, just list her name as it should be on all the AOS forms.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

When we went to the SSA office to get my wife's SSN, the person who helped us had problems finding her in the system. She then put my wife's first and middle name and used that in the 'given name' spot. It worked and she said to her supervisor.....They did it again. (meaning they put her 1st and middle name together as her given name). Once she verified her name like this, she put the paperwork into the system and we got her SSN.

You make a valid point here because i too took my wife to the SSA office to get my wife's social and when i got to the window the gentleman took all my info and put all of that into the system. I handed the I-94 to him and all was well. At the end he tells me that my wife's name was not found in the system and that maybe the way they entered the names or the order of the names was wrong so he sent a message to USCIS to verify her name and once that was done they will process the ssN.

on that note i have a question because i was trying to send out the AOS, but i don't have the social security number, should that stop me from sending the AOS? Any advice? Also should i call the SSA office to find out if the name was confirmed?

Timeline for N-400   
Package Sent ----> 3/13/17

Package Received ---> Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 3:50 am

CC Charged ---->  3/20/2017
NOA ----> 3/23/17                                                                                
Finger Prints ---> 4/14/2017 --> Early FP 4/12/17!!
Inline for an Interview notice received ---> 4/14/17
Interview Scheduled ---> Waiting for letter in the mail to see the actual date.  8/30/17
letter in the mail arrived ---> 9/5/17
Interview Date ---> 10/05/17
Oath ---> 10/12/2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I am helping my new wife, who arrived in the US on a K1, to apply for AOS. This morning we went down to the SS office to change her name, and we discovered there is a problem.

On her K1 visa, it has both her first and middle name as her "given name." Accordingly, when she entered the US, CBP filed her I-94 as her given name consisting of both her first and middle name.

I have called USCIS, CBP, SS and NVC without resolution to this because this is, obvilously, in error. We are very worried this is going to create an issue for AOS.

What should we do about this? How can we get this resolved?

Thank you in advance.

We had a similar issue at SS ofc when getting her SS issued in maiden name, so they put her first name in the system as a combination of both first and middle name. On the SS card it is printed correctly. When filling for AOS I included a typed letter addressing first and middle name and they corrected it in their system. When changing her last name at SS ofc we didn't have any issues. The only place we were unable to resolve is at the courthouse bc her name contains "-" meaning "First Name-Middle Name" they listed that as her full first name on the marriage certificate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We had a similar issue because my husband has two middle names and they put his first and two middle names in the first name spot. All our paperwork until that time was correct until we tried to get the SSN number.

They told us they had to go back to USCIS and have it changed because it wouldn't "fit in the box on the card". Hard to believe that flimsy little paper card is still the same thing they use after all these years and that there aren't ways to fit more inside a box, but I digress. ;) In the end she told us to give it a month before calling back to see if it was still at USCIS being fixed but we got the SSN in the mail in a couple days with only one middle name.

I think I would go back to the SS office and see if there's a way for them to have USCIS fix it like they did for us?

You make a valid point here because i too took my wife to the SSA office to get my wife's social and when i got to the window the gentleman took all my info and put all of that into the system. I handed the I-94 to him and all was well. At the end he tells me that my wife's name was not found in the system and that maybe the way they entered the names or the order of the names was wrong so he sent a message to USCIS to verify her name and once that was done they will process the ssN.

on that note i have a question because i was trying to send out the AOS, but i don't have the social security number, should that stop me from sending the AOS? Any advice? Also should i call the SSA office to find out if the name was confirmed?

Can i go ahead and send my AOS in today even if i did not have the SSN for my wife on the forms.

Timeline for N-400   

NOA ----> 3/23/17                                                                                
Interview Scheduled ---> Waiting for letter in the mail to see the actual date.  8/30/17
Oath ---> 10/12/2017

Timeline

Update - we went back to the Social Security office, and we got another person this time. We also came with my wife's birth certificate (including translated copy), and three forms of identification, showing that her middle name is not part of her first name.

All this evidence turned out to be unnecessary. This individual just spotted the problem, and was able to fix it, thank goodness. I didn't want to have to resort to hiring an immigration attorney.

Timeline

Update - we went back to the Social Security office, and we got another person this time. We also came with my wife's birth certificate (including translated copy), and three forms of identification, showing that her middle name is not part of her first name.

All this evidence turned out to be unnecessary. This individual just spotted the problem, and was able to fix it, thank goodness. I didn't want to have to resort to hiring an immigration attorney.

yay! that's what I thought - so glad it was fixed pretty easily like they did for us. :)

yay! that's what I thought - so glad it was fixed pretty easily like they did for us. smile.png

I am glad it worked for them but unfortunately, the ssA office i went to could not do that for me because they said they had sent in a request to INS to verify my wife's name in the system..that takes 3 to 4 weeks...

Timeline for N-400   

NOA ----> 3/23/17                                                                                
Oath ---> 10/12/2017

Timeline

Can i go ahead and send my AOS in today even if i did not have the SSN for my wife on the forms.

Yes. The SSN is not required for filing AOS.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Timeline

I am glad it worked for them but unfortunately, the ssA office i went to could not do that for me because they said they had sent in a request to INS to verify my wife's name in the system..that takes 3 to 4 weeks...

that's what happened to us too kalusha - but it worked out and we never had to go back..we got the card within 2 weeks. :)

that's what happened to us too kalusha - but it worked out and we never had to go back..we got the card within 2 weeks. smile.png

thanks for that reassurance, we will wait.

Timeline for N-400   

NOA ----> 3/23/17                                                                                
Oath ---> 10/12/2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.