Roselinda

Passport for a child of Naturalized mother!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

If I were you, I'd make an appointment with the closest passport agency for 9:00 tomorrow morning, drop off my paperwork, have breakfast nearby, and then return 3 hours later and pick up my son's passport. That's how I did it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If I were you, I'd make an appointment with the closest passport agency for 9:00 tomorrow morning, drop off my paperwork, have breakfast nearby, and then return 3 hours later and pick up my son's passport. That's how I did it.

May work with an airline ticket within two weeks of travel, properly filled out DS-11 meeting all the requirements for a child under 16, bring the child and his green card with you. Being in person does make a difference, if you meet a stubborn agent politely ask to see his supervisor.

Since you have a good relationship with your ex, a notarized letter from him giving your son permission may help. Depending on whether you can prove sole custody. Your son by all definition is a US citizen. Dress nicely and be very polite.

Just got involved with my own personal problems, my stepdaughter only has one father and never blocked her from seeing him. But from what he pulled on her, she never wants to see him again. He is regretting his actions now.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay....thanks guys for all your input.....I know my son is now a US citizen also. I called the passport office and USCIS and spoke to two individuals who said my son can travel on his greencard freely and then apply for a passport once he returns.

His passport application is going to take longer than expected even though I paid for expedited service because we need some documentation from his natural father, he needs the actual copy of my naturalization certificate which is going through with my own application.

His greencard is still valid until he has a passport in his hand. The USCIS agent told me that it has to remain valid because not everyone can afford or will even try to get a passport, however the greencard has to be turned in in order for him to get his passport. So they advised me to let him travel and then on his return continue with his passport application. I've spoken to a number of people in different offices and was told the same thing by all of them. As long as his UK passport is valid he is fine to leave and re-enter.

I know we hear all different things which is why I made so many calls today.

He's leaving on Wednesday so I guess I'll know either way on his return. smile.png

Roselinda, Any updates!

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Ontarkie!

Yeah! Well I can tell you that it's so much easier applying for a UK passport than a US one. It's been one thing after another. My son travelled to London and back with no problem whatsoever with his greencard. His US passport will be delayed until I send a document showing that his natural father has no parental rights and is fine with him having a passport which he is in the process of completing and sending to me. I am still waiting for my own passport which I need for Social Security and school purposes, but have now been told I have to resend a picture after paying $12 just for one as it was not image correct!ranting33va.gif

But my son was fine. I checked with every office I had to, USCIS, the Passport office and even Border Control just for the sake of it. His greencard is valid until I return it with his passport amendments. I also had to send a copy of my marriage certificate with his application as of course my name on his birth certificate is different to what documents they have. I sent his passport application seperate to mine as he was travelling. I would advise to not do that ...EVER...too many hassles, although the passport office said it was fine doing so. But of course it isn't and they actually said the post office/passport office always dish out the wrong information. Hmmmm!?

I will also say to apply for Social Security change prior to passport. I wish I knew that first.

Hope this helps! goofy.gif

Timeline

That's is great that he had no problems. It sucks that you need more paper work from the father when he has no rights. Sucks big time the hassels

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh, as I was reading the topic, I felt your pain. Some input from my experience with my 17 year-old son's passport application. I became a citizen and as they say, 'your child is automatically a US citizen"- very nice and beautiful, but I received my Certificate at the ceremony and as for his 'automatically' citizenship, I had to either pay $600 for his Certificate or get him a US passport. I decided to go with the latter. After sending the required documents, I got a letter asking for more proof - my divorce decree, a certified copy of the green card - which was sent at the first place and the original 551 stamp on his Brazilian passport as a valid and legal entry in the US. Sent all the extra paper work, and got his passport yesterday at 3pm.

Now, in the morning, we were at the Houston DPS for his driving license test - where there is a box on the application "are you a US citizen?" I checked no, as at that point we had no proof of his citizenship, only his valid green card. I guess he officially 'became'' a US citizen in the afternoon, when we got home and his passport had arrived.

So I do not understand much of the process, to say that our children 'automatically' become US citizens, when during the process of getting the proof of it, we - at least I - was troubled by the fact that I had no proof to show for it.

After all that, I guess I have to update his status at the SSN office and at the USCIS. Then, it will be really over.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: Timeline

Oh, as I was reading the topic, I felt your pain. Some input from my experience with my 17 year-old son's passport application. I became a citizen and as they say, 'your child is automatically a US citizen"- very nice and beautiful, but I received my Certificate at the ceremony and as for his 'automatically' citizenship, I had to either pay $600 for his Certificate or get him a US passport. I decided to go with the latter. After sending the required documents, I got a letter asking for more proof - my divorce decree, a certified copy of the green card - which was sent at the first place and the original 551 stamp on his Brazilian passport as a valid and legal entry in the US. Sent all the extra paper work, and got his passport yesterday at 3pm.

Now, in the morning, we were at the Houston DPS for his driving license test - where there is a box on the application "are you a US citizen?" I checked no, as at that point we had no proof of his citizenship, only his valid green card. I guess he officially 'became'' a US citizen in the afternoon, when we got home and his passport had arrived.

So I do not understand much of the process, to say that our children 'automatically' become US citizens, when during the process of getting the proof of it, we - at least I - was troubled by the fact that I had no proof to show for it.

After all that, I guess I have to update his status at the SSN office and at the USCIS. Then, it will be really over.

When you naturalized, your son became a U.S. citizen. Period. Regardless of whether or not he has a passport or anything else. Even if he never gets a passport for the rest of his life, he is a citizen. If your state makes crazy demands for various documents to satisfy them, that is their problem. When they asked whether he was a citizen and you said no, that was incorrect and you lied. It's probably not a big deal to claim not to be a U.S. citizen when you are though, especially since you can claim to be confused in this case.

Timeline

I don't think she quite lied, she picked what she thought was the right answer and it wasn't. :)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Roselinda...did you submit a parental consent (from the biological dad) when you applied for your son's passport? To be more specific, what are the documents you've submitted? I have the same dilemma...I was just Naturalized last July 4th and in the process of applying our (w/ my daughter's) passports. My marriage with my ex was annulled but we don't have a court order on the custody. Just a letter he signed that he's giving me the sole custody of our daughter. What documents should I ask from my ex...Thanks

Edited by cyjj17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.