I & B

Which Service Center Handles Which State's I-129F Petitions

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I've seen many posts recently made by soon-to-be petitioners who wonder which USCIS service center--the California Service Center or the Vermont Service Center--will ultimately process their I-129F petition. Here's a little history of the breakdown and the answer.

Since the USCIS changed their system a few years back to require that all I-129F petitioners send their petitions to the Texas Lockbox facility, it is understandable that the ultimate destination isn't readily apparent based on the current filing directions. Luckily for us, however, the Texas Lockbox still operates to divy up and forward the petitions based on the same state-by-state rules that existed when petitioners were required to directly send their petition to the appropriate service center for their state of residence. That list is hard to find online, but I happened to stumble upon it preserved in the book Fiance & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration, and would like to pass it along here for posterity.

Per the book, the breakdown was as follows:

California Service Center States/Territories:

Alaska

Arizona

California

Colorado

Guam

Hawaii

Idaho

Nevada

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

North Dakota

Ohio

Oregon

South Dakota

Utah

Washington

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Vermont Service Center States/Territories

Alabama

Arkansas

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Mississippi

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Puerto Rico

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Texas

US Virgin Islands

Vermont

Virginia

West Virginia

Edited by I & B

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Although the breakdown is useful,

the Dallas lockbox actually gets instructions where to send the I-129Fs, often, based on some load balancing stuff .

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a10e4154d7b3d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Although the breakdown is useful,

the Dallas lockbox actually gets instructions where to send the I-129Fs, often, based on some load balancing stuff .

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a10e4154d7b3d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Interesting. I wonder if that is just hot air (preserving flexibility in theory, but not in practice) or not. I did a cursory check on Igor's list and I could not find any case that conflicted with the list I provided. But it's definitely good to note that things can change.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Interesting. I wonder if that is just hot air (preserving flexibility in theory, but not in practice) or not. I did a cursory check on Igor's list and I could not find any case that conflicted with the list I provided. But it's definitely good to note that things can change.

I have seen a few exceptions to this, and looking at the petitions accepted numbers, I would tend to agree that some kind of load balancing occurs. I recall a NJ and a Fl VJ member stating their applications were sent to CSC.

And the funny (or not so funny) thing about it is why are they so concerned load balancing the applications, when they clearly aren't concerned about balancing the processing.

Edited by Bayareaguy

Timeline

I have seen a few exceptions to this, and looking at the petitions accepted numbers, I would tend to agree that some kind of load balancing occurs. I recall a NJ and a Fl VJ member stating their applications were sent to CSC.

Ah, ok. Definitely good to know. I stand corrected--definitely not the first time I've been wrong.

If they really do "balance" the load, then I have to say that I am shocked at what a poor job they do at maintaining any semblance of consistency in actual processing times. There should be much, much less volatility if they can dynamically balance where apps go in a meaningful way. Just another thing the USCIS does incompetently, I suppose.

Edited by I & B

Timeline

sorry, DACA f'ed up everything for CSC, so load-balancing algorithms and Service Center Directors' gut feelings, no longer work.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband lives in Ohio. According to the list our case should have gone to California. It went to Vermont. I suspect because the US Consulate that we would be using is in Montreal, on the East Coast...but who knows. So I am one case that does conflict with the list.

Timeline
USCIS
04/03/2012: I-130 Sent from Ohio
04/05/2012: Rejection Letter b/c we left a line blank! (DUH)
04/09/2012: Re-mailed I-130 from Ohio
04/17/2012: NOA1
~SEVEN MONTH WAIT~
11/28/2012: NOA2

NVC
12/14/2012: NVC received
12/17/2012: Case number/IIN
12/17/2012: AOS Bill PAID
12/29/2012: AOS Package sent
12/20/2012: IV Bill PAID
01/03/2013: IV Package sent
02/05/2013: Case complete at NVC
02/07/2013: Interview scheduled

MONTREAL CONSULATE
02/06/2013: Embassy received
03/01/2013: Medical
03/11/2013: Interview/APPROVED
03/14/2013: Visa packet picked up at Loomis/DHL office in Dorval, PQ
03/15/2013: Paid $165.00 Green Card Fee
03/27/2013: POE: Montreal P.E. Trudeau Airport
04/03/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is in Suspense"
04/09/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is accepted and paperwork is in process"
04/10/2013: Notice of Action that a "New card has been ordered"
04/16/2013: Green Card arrived in the mail. Yes, it IS green! smile.png

06/28/2013: Took Driver's License Written Test

07/06/2013: Passed Driver's License Road and Maneuverability test. Received Driver's License

07/06/2013: Hired at Kohl's Department Store

Timeline

My husband lives in Ohio. According to the list our case should have gone to California. It went to Vermont. I suspect because the US Consulate that we would be using is in Montreal, on the East Coast...but who knows. So I am one case that does conflict with the list.

Good to note. And I think I saw 1-2 other Ohio residents bemoaning the fact that they were stuck at the CSC yesterday. It would be interesting to try to figure out exactly which states get split and why. I wonder if it could really be the case the the Texas facility sorts on the basis of where the consulate is, though. That would require them to actually open and examine the petitions to an extent, rather than just forward them. But it could definitely be true.

Edited by I & B

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is not entirely accurate, we had a Texas petition sent to California.

AOS+EAD Sent 8-9-13

AOS+EAD Received 8-13-13

EAD NOA1 8-13-13

AOS NOA1 8-15-13

AOS+EAD Biometrics 9-17-2013, Walk-In 8-29-2013

EAD Approved 10-15-13

AOS Interview 12-18-13

E-REQUEST 2-3-14

INFOPASS Appointment 2-12-14

AOS Approved 2-24-2014

Timeline

This is not entirely accurate, we had a Texas petition sent to California.

Thanks. Duly noted. Haha, this has now turned into a little side project for me. If anyone else has a processing experience that differs from the list, please note so here. It'd be nice to compile some solid info on how petitions are divvied up.

Timeline

Please read all of this topic:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/220499-k-1-petition-information/

then take another stab at your research - you may want to refactor some things.

Good Luck !

Timeline

Please read all of this topic:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/220499-k-1-petition-information/

then take another stab at your research - you may want to refactor some things.

Good Luck !

I've read that. I don't see how it is particularly relevant to how the texas service center divvies up filed I-129Fs, though...

Timeline

really? you read all of it? load balancing was mentioned there.

Timeline

really? you read all of it? load balancing was mentioned there.

He talks only about two types of load balancing, though: balancing within the VSC and directly sending petition types from the VSC to the CSC. It would make sense if the latter was coordinated with the Texas Lockbox's sorting, but, given the incompetence of the USCIS, I'm not sure if that's even the case. In any case, that's a very good post and I've read it several times. I recommend all VJ readers do the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.