ginomirelle

getting married in the PI of a US military personnel

17 posts in this topic

hi again...

my fiance will be arriving here soon. he will go directly to the US embassy to apply for his legal capacity to contract marriage where he was scheduled. but as we read the website they added something for military members

Additional Requirement for U.S. Military Personnel

U.S. military personnel should contact their personnel office regarding Department of Defense joint service regulations.

what does this means? does he need something like a letter from his command? need help anyone did this before?? tnx...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hi again...

my fiance will be arriving here soon. he will go directly to the US embassy to apply for his legal capacity to contract marriage where he was scheduled. but as we read the website they added something for military members

U.S. military personnel should contact their personnel office regarding Department of Defense joint service regulations.

what does this means? does he need something like a letter from his command? need help anyone did this before?? tnx...

They need permission to marry a foreign persons BEFORE they marry or they could be in big trouble. My husband had to do this.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

They need permission to marry a foreign persons BEFORE they marry or they could be in big trouble. My husband had to do this.

what do u mean about the permission? how will they get that?is that a consent coming from their officers? tnx..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

what do u mean about the permission? how will they get that?is that a consent coming from their officers? tnx..

From security offices. He should know what he is doing before he does it. Make sure he gets the O.K before you get married. He has to file forms about you and your family etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

From security offices. He should know what he is doing before he does it. Make sure he gets the O.K before you get married. He has to file forms about you and your family etc.

security office in the base? tnx so much..

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's very simple, tell your fiance to talk to his commander -- his commander knows exactly what needs to be done and will counsel your fiance accordingly.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Military Immigration-Related Discussion

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's very simple, tell your fiance to talk to his commander -- his commander knows exactly what needs to be done and will counsel your fiance accordingly.

Great advice!

My fiance did the same thing. I helped him out, too.

I scheduled the appointment for him 2 months in advance. Check out the US Embassy in Manila website. Go there early. Our appointment was around 1 pm but they still let him in at 12:30. He just had to vow before a consul officer that he is not married or undergoing divorce... he had to pay a minimal fee and then he got the Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate to Marry. Be aware that this affidavit is not recognized in Makati City.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

• 5 months later...
Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

just tell your fiance to talk to his agr sgt or CO , they know wha kind of form u need,..

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

Filed: Timeline

hi again...

I will hopefully tell you what I'm doing by the end of this week. I'm going through the same process. My fiancee lives in Manila and I will be flying down there from the US to get married in the Philippines. I'm fighting an uphill battle with my First Sergeant trying to get my Commander's Approval letter. I'm not sure if that's an actual letter, or if it's just a letter stating my Commander approves of my marriage, but I'm writing one and hopefully he'll sign off on it. So far I've talked to my personnel office and they said I don't need anything, and I've also talked to my Legal office and they said the same thing (nothing needed). The only thing I really needed to do was to talk to my Unit Security Manager as they make sure that there isn't an issue with his security clearance and marrying a foreigner. Most often nothing is needed unless he works in a sensitive job with a Top secret clearance. I hope his leadership is much more informed than mine has been. I've been deployed and asked while I was deployed and no one knew. I came back to my base and asked once again, and they didn't know here either. I hope I can find out this information this week and I'll let you know as well.

• 4 months later...
Filed: Timeline

What military regulation did you get this information from? No "Permission" is "Required." Depending on his/her clearence, it may or may not effect his/her clearence. It all depends on what country the fiance(e) is from, and what his/her current job is in the military. As military personnel, you are never Required to have permission. It is always the soldier/airman/seaman/etc.'s choice. The military cannot Prevent someone from getting married. With this said...now depending on the military person's job and clearence, it may or may not effect his/her job, and his/her ability to do their job, and/or have a clearence. The ONE DEFINITE is that they MUST report it to their security manager otherwise it can have an effect on their clearence if it is NOT reported, and found out about later.

• 5 months later...

I know im probably way too late but id just like to share our experience for those who might need help about this topic in the future. My husband is a US Marine and we just got married last aug. We were also worried about that "approval letter" from his CO before he got to PI. He asked a lot of people about it, even went to a legal officer on base, but none of them seemed to know whether he would really need it or not. Then he was finally able to speak to someone with a higher rank and was told that he was good to go. No approval letter, clearance or whatsoever. So we just took his officer's word and he flew to the Phils, bringing only his passport and birth cert as documents. We went to the US Consulate in Cebu (walk in, no appointed needed, way faster than UsEm in manila i guess) for the legal capacity. They knew he was military but was never asked for his CO's approval letter. It took probably around 30mins (depending on the volume of applicants) to get his legal capacity.

08.24.2013 - got married in the Philippines!

09.25.2013 - NOA1 via email

11.18.2013 - requested expedite due to typhoon

12.02.2013 - CFO seminar

12.12.2013 - I-130 approved, NOA2 via email (never transferred); shipped to NVC

12.30.2013 - NVC received the case

01.06.2014 - requested expedite due to typhoon and PCS

01.08.2014 - Case # and IIN; submitted DS-261; NVC asked for 2 contact #s of beneficiary

01.09.2014 - AOS fee billed

01.14.2014 - AOS fee showed paid

01.15.2014 - IV fee billed; expedite approved

01.18.2014 - sent AOS package

01.22.2014 - IV fee showed paid; AOS arrived at NVC as per UPS (10:18am by FNU)

01.24.2014 - sent IV package

01.27.2014 - submitted DS-260; IV docs delivered to NVC as per DHL (10:52am by PETERS G)

01.29.2014 - CASE COMPLETE (via phonecall)

01.30.2014 - received checklist for Dutch Police Record (VOG) via email

01.31.2014 - left NVC, sent to embassy

02.04.2014 - received at embassy, READY as per CEAC

02.10-11.2014 - medical done, passed!

02.24.2014 - interview: APPROVED!!

02.27.2014 - Received SMS from 2Go, ready for pick up

02.28.2014 - visa on hand; CFO sticker

03.01.2014 - paid ELIS

03.06.2014 - POE Hawaii...Aloooohaaa! :)

04.10.2014 - 2yr green card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hi again...

Congratulations on your visa approval !

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=123189

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.