carlo702

K1 co-sponsor in manila, advise pls.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I filed for the k1 visa this january 2011. I've been reading around visajourney for awhile now and the co-sponsoring really got me worried. I just finished my Nursing program in the philippines last year march 2010 and got back in the states around May2010. So i've just been recently been employed this feb.2011 after failing my first attempt in the nclex examination. I just wanted to ask if i would get denied or will the Manila USEM consulate consider my co-sponsor? because as of right now i am working 28 hours per week for 12/hr and studying again for my 2nd attempt for nclex. My co-sponsor is my mother who meets the income requirements.

Edited by carlo702

i'm not sure but i think Manila USE doesn't allow co sponsors for K1 visa. . .the best way i think is to to CR1 route. . .i'm sure someone will come with better knowledge. . :thumbs:

Wedding Date : May 15, 2008

I130 sent : July 27, 2010

NOA1 Received : August 16, 2010

NOA2 Received : March 11, 2011 (207 days from NOA1)

NVC Journey :

NVC received : March 18, 2011

DS3032 emailed : March 30, 2011

AOS fee received : March 30, 2011

Visa : April 1, 2011

Paid AOS and Visa via Mail : April 4,2011

I864 sent : (by the petitioner) April 13, 2011 (overnight)

DS230 sent : (by me) April 11, 2011 NVC received April 13,2011

AOS RFE :(co-sponsor proof of citizenship) : April 23,2011

RFE sent : April 25, 2011 (overnight)

DS230 RFE : April 26, 2011

RFE sent : April 28, 2011 (via FedEx) NVC received May 2, 2011

SIF : May 13, 2011 (US time) May 14 (here in the Philippines)

Case Close : May 16, 2011

Medical at St. Lukes : May 17, 2011 1st Day

May 19, 2011 Immunization and got the CD xray :)

Interview : July 12, 2011 (6:30 am) yiipppeeeee

INTERVIEW RESULT : APPROVED!!!! :)

VISA ON HAND : July 15, 2011

POE : LAX

[/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/size][/font][/color]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Consulates don't usually show their cards when it comes to the affidavit of support because the law gives them a lot of discretion with a K visa. If they published their minimum requirements then they would be giving up a lot of that discretion. Therefore, anything that anyone says about what a consulate will or won't accept is going to be based on the anecdotal experience of others and not on firmly stated policy.

With that said, some time ago a VJ member sent an email to the US Embassy in Manila asking about the possibility for using a joint sponsor with a K visa. The embassy's response was that they generally expect the petitioner to be financially qualified on their own, and usually do not accept a joint sponsor. However, they might make an exception if the sponsor has a very good reason for having insufficient income and have a good potential for much better future earnings (a college student or recent graduate, for example), and if the joint sponsor is a close relative (it's more likely the joint sponsor will be available to sign a binding affidavit of support for adjustment of status).

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Consulates don't usually show their cards when it comes to the affidavit of support because the law gives them a lot of discretion with a K visa. If they published their minimum requirements then they would be giving up a lot of that discretion. Therefore, anything that anyone says about what a consulate will or won't accept is going to be based on the anecdotal experience of others and not on firmly stated policy.

With that said, some time ago a VJ member sent an email to the US Embassy in Manila asking about the possibility for using a joint sponsor with a K visa. The embassy's response was that they generally expect the petitioner to be financially qualified on their own, and usually do not accept a joint sponsor. However, they might make an exception if the sponsor has a very good reason for having insufficient income and have a good potential for much better future earnings (a college student or recent graduate, for example), and if the joint sponsor is a close relative (it's more likely the joint sponsor will be available to sign a binding affidavit of support for adjustment of status).

Reference: Fiancé(e) Visa Information

Date: April 24, 2009

This is in reply to your inquiry of April 24, 2009, regarding your visa concerns.

Petitioners in fiancé(e) (K1) nonimmigrant visa cases are generally expected to provide the adequacy of their own financial resources to ensure that an alien, after admission into the United States, will not become primarily dependent on the US Government for subsistence. While our immigration law does not disallow joint sponsorships for K nonimmigrant visa applicants, the mere submission of an I-134 Affidavit of Support from joint sponsors is not sufficient to establish that the alien is not likely to become a public charge. Accordingly, we make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as the sponsor's motives in submitting the Form I-134, the sponsor's relationship to the applicant or petitioner, the length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other, etc. An I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has limited value. Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises. Please be assured that we look at the totality of circumstances in assessing the credibility of joint sponsorships.

For information about financial sponsorship guidelines, you may visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website at

http://www.uscis.gov .

Information regarding fiancé(e) and immigrant visa petitions may be found at our website at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html or http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html .

Please direct future fiancé(e) and immigrant visa inquiries to this web link: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3230.html .

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Immigrant Visa Correspondence Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy, Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Manila, Philippines

Telephone: (632) 301-2000

Fax: (632) 301-2037

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

Reference: Fiancé(e) Visa Information

Date: April 24, 2009

This is in reply to your inquiry of April 24, 2009, regarding your visa concerns.

Petitioners in fiancé(e) (K1) nonimmigrant visa cases are generally expected to provide the adequacy of their own financial resources to ensure that an alien, after admission into the United States, will not become primarily dependent on the US Government for subsistence. While our immigration law does not disallow joint sponsorships for K nonimmigrant visa applicants, the mere submission of an I-134 Affidavit of Support from joint sponsors is not sufficient to establish that the alien is not likely to become a public charge. Accordingly, we make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as the sponsor's motives in submitting the Form I-134, the sponsor's relationship to the applicant or petitioner, the length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other, etc. An I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has limited value. Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises. Please be assured that we look at the totality of circumstances in assessing the credibility of joint sponsorships.

For information about financial sponsorship guidelines, you may visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website at

http://www.uscis.gov .

Information regarding fiancé(e) and immigrant visa petitions may be found at our website at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html or http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html .

Please direct future fiancé(e) and immigrant visa inquiries to this web link: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3230.html .

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Immigrant Visa Correspondence Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy, Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Manila, Philippines

Telephone: (632) 301-2000

Fax: (632) 301-2037

Hi! I have the same situation with you its just that my fiance is in his Masters Program right now, he's above poverty income if his financial aid is included and scholarships in school plus he has a litte savings. So we're just thinking to get a co-sponsor which is his mom whose willing to do so. and Im planning on scheduling my interview next week. So I hope everything turns out well for both of us. It also makes me worried but I just stay positive all through out.

Timeline

i'm not sure but i think Manila USE doesn't allow co sponsors for K1 visa. . .the best way i think is to to CR1 route. . .i'm sure someone will come with better knowledge. . :thumbs:

Thanks for your input, If K1 fails i guess im leaning on CR1 route. I just been reading that some considered there co-sponsor for k1 and some dont :bonk:

Timeline

Thank you for the very informative infos i hope they really do make an exception seeing that i am a fresh graduate and studying for my Nursing license to earn more in the future, and i know what i making now isn't that much because i am reviewing again for my exam.

Timeline

Hi! I have the same situation with you its just that my fiance is in his Masters Program right now, he's above poverty income if his financial aid is included and scholarships in school plus he has a litte savings. So we're just thinking to get a co-sponsor which is his mom whose willing to do so. and Im planning on scheduling my interview next week. So I hope everything turns out well for both of us. It also makes me worried but I just stay positive all through out.

thats great! good luck on your interview i hope all goes well on your part, please let me know how yours will go. I really want to know if they will consider it, i'm still reviewing for my Nursing license in order to earn more, i know my part time job isn't cutting it.

Timeline

thats great! good luck on your interview i hope all goes well on your part, please let me know how yours will go. I really want to know if they will consider it, i'm still reviewing for my Nursing license in order to earn more, i know my part time job isn't cutting it.

Thank you. Im really hoping it turns out well. I've also read some of the posts here that they do consider co-sponsors in certain basis and our case just fits perfectly (hope so) I'll let you know if everything turns out well.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

what difference would filing for CR-1 make?if one is under the poverty guidelines then nothing except assets can change it,specially in manilla.

OP you have any assets?does your mother have any assets?youre the sponsor and your mother is the co sponsor,judging from the email,the relationship you have with your significant other is enough for them to consider a co sponsor specially its your mother,and his future mother in law.

you could talk to a lawyer ( as an adviser ) who specializes in Philippines to make sure

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

what difference would filing for CR-1 make?if one is under the poverty guidelines then nothing except assets can change it,specially in manilla.

OP you have any assets?does your mother have any assets?youre the sponsor and your mother is the co sponsor,judging from the email,the relationship you have with your significant other is enough for them to consider a co sponsor specially its your mother,and his future mother in law.

you could talk to a lawyer ( as an adviser ) who specializes in Philippines to make sure

They can't deny a joint sponsor with an I-864 affidavit of support. Filing a CR1 would guarantee that the joint sponsor will be accepted.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

CO's at USEM seem to make their decisions on co sponsors on a case by case basis. More are approved if the co sponsor is a immediate relative. Good earning potential of the beneficiary [such as being a nurse] can be a factor also.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

CO's at USEM seem to make their decisions on co sponsors on a case by case basis. More are approved if the co sponsor is a immediate relative. Good earning potential of the beneficiary [such as being a nurse] can be a factor also.

Thanks, so far what i have been reading so far seems to lighten up my stress. I will continue to pray =).

They can't deny a joint sponsor with an I-864 affidavit of support. Filing a CR1 would guarantee that the joint sponsor will be accepted.

If only i have known this earlier i would have married her before i went home to the usa. I'm still keeping my hopes up =)

Difference is.

Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises

co sponsor for the CR1 at USEM are excepted more often then not, vs the K-1 I-134 with co sponsor.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, my fiance will be graduationg next year June 2014. So we decided to use co-sponsor for our k1 visa. But i read a lot of post that us embassy is not accepting co-sponsor for k1 visa. By the way I am a registered nurse here in the Philippines. I just want to know if there's a couple here who have the same situation like mine I will appreciate it if you will reply. Thanks I'm advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.