jingo

Visiting USA while K1 Being Processed

22 posts in this topic

Hi All

I am very close to booking a plane ticket for about a month from March - April to visit my SO. I know there is no law that says I cant visit, and I could certainly provide a return ticket and proof that I need to finish my degree, thus proof i'd return to the UK. I'd be devastated to fly all the way to San Francisco and be turned back. I'd really love to hear any of your experiences regarding visits, as I dont know how likely they'd be to deny me entry or not. I wouldnt want to waste the time or money if they'd just send me right back. Has anyone else visited during the K1 process and was it easy?

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Hi !!

I am also waiting for my NOA2 and I visited my fiance in the US last december 30th up to january 5th this year.

I brought the following:

* letter from employer (with letterhead employer) stating that they approved my holiday request and when i have to return to work.

* salary specifications from the past 3 months

* a copy of the I-129f package, to prove the Border Control Officer that I am legally working on my K1 Visa.

* a copy of NOA1

* copy of my B2 Visitors Visa interview documentation since my entry to the US has been denied May last year.

You said you're going to visit your fiance this march-april, I'm going too :innocent: ..

Anywho, I hope I provided you the answer you are looking for

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

You said you had been denied May last year?

We are about to file our initial package actually, so by the time march/april rolls around i'm sure we wont have the NOA2 yet, but will probably receive the first one, right?

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

2 0 1 2

13 Jan - EAD Approved

24 Jan - EAD in hand

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just looked at your timeline and seeing as you have received your NOA2 you don't have that long to wait now. Just NVC then on to UK , your interview and then you will be here. Hope it all goes well for you

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All

I am very close to booking a plane ticket for about a month from March - April to visit my SO. I know there is no law that says I cant visit, and I could certainly provide a return ticket and proof that I need to finish my degree, thus proof i'd return to the UK. I'd be devastated to fly all the way to San Francisco and be turned back. I'd really love to hear any of your experiences regarding visits, as I dont know how likely they'd be to deny me entry or not. I wouldnt want to waste the time or money if they'd just send me right back. Has anyone else visited during the K1 process and was it easy?

Yes I visited my now husband whilst the petition was being processed and stayed 1 week under 3 months. I did not have to show anything or prove to them my intentions of returning to Aust. They asked me who I was visiting and where and checked that the address was correct of where I was staying and could see my address in Aust and my return date. I must admit I was lucky and had nice CO but am, sure you wont have any issues either. Good luck. They said to me have a nice holiday and welcome back as I had been over in Sept 2009 when we first met.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Thanks so much guys, I know this question is asked all the time, I just wanted to hear some encouragement from people with similar cases! I think i'll give it a shot!

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

2 0 1 2

13 Jan - EAD Approved

24 Jan - EAD in hand

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

I visited America twice whilst engaged, and both times I had lovely border agents. "Why are you coming to America?" "Visiting my fiance." They just looked at my return ticket, and one time jokingly asked if they could come to the wedding. Neither time was I asked what my intentions were (as in, they never even asked if I was doing K1 or whatnot). I did a CR1 not a K1, but I was in precisely the same position as you. Except for that proof that you've applied for K1 should be proof that you're not planning on staying in America before you get the visa.

I sure hope it works! I just booked my ticket for march - april. In England we have like 3 weeks off for spring break, which is awesome. I'll be visiting on the VWP and bring proof of school, return ticket, etc. Wish me luck :)

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

2 0 1 2

13 Jan - EAD Approved

24 Jan - EAD in hand

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

Filed: Timeline

I visited America twice whilst engaged, and both times I had lovely border agents. "Why are you coming to America?" "Visiting my fiance." They just looked at my return ticket, and one time jokingly asked if they could come to the wedding. Neither time was I asked what my intentions were (as in, they never even asked if I was doing K1 or whatnot). I did a CR1 not a K1, but I was in precisely the same position as you. Except for that proof that you've applied for K1 should be proof that you're not planning on staying in America before you get the visa.

Hang on, you told the CBP that you were visiting your 'fiance' while you were processing a CR-1? If that's the case, you lied to CBP, and I wouldn't recc doing that to anyone.

You were very lucky you didn't get caught doing so.

OP, Bring plenty of evidence as listed above and hope for the best. Like you said, it's not circumventing any law to visit while a K-1 is processing. If you want to be extra safe, maybe you can fly from Dublin? (providing Dublin still does pre-clearance? - someone help me out on this pls)

Edited by Lisa C

I visited my fiancee in Denver, I flew out on Christmas Eve and returned on the 8th of January. I took a letter from work stating what time and day I was expected to return to work and thats all.

I was asked at the homeland security check what was my purpose of the visit, I said visiting my fiancee and they asked if I was marrying this trip, I said no. That was the end of the questions. I should imagine every occasion is different. Oh and if its any help, I flew into Chicago.

Dave :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I've read and experienced its all luck on what kind of border guard you get.

I visit my fiance for about a month at a time every 4 months or so.

I have yet to be denied entry fortunately but I have been dragged through immigration where I was grilled for about an hour and had my bags searched in front of me.

I have also been trough with no problems and barely any questions at all.

Every time I leave for a visit I'm nervous. I think the fact that I go for a month fairly frequently raises some flags for them.

I try to be prepared. Make sure you have proof of your return ticket which I have had to show every time.

And a letter from your employer which has helped me out on a few occasions as well.

I always bring my NOA1 letter as well just in case I need it to prove that we are doing things correctly and not just trying to sneak into the country to stay.

I usually try to not throw around the fiance word since I get hassled enough without it. But I have proof with the letter that we are following the necessary and legal steps if I need it. I have read some conflicting info on here about that though. Some people say to tell them right off that you are visiting a fiance some say don't. I'm NOT saying lie about it because that would just get you into trouble.

I just don't volunteer it personally and have never been asked about it.

Basically when they ask me "is the purpose of your trip business or personal?" I respond that "its a vacation".

PS I'm answering this post from my fiances house in California so needless to say I got in this visit =)

Good Luck!!

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Hang on, you told the CBP that you were visiting your 'fiance' while you were processing a CR-1? If that's the case, you lied to CBP, and I wouldn't recc doing that to anyone.

You were very lucky you didn't get caught doing so.

No...I flew to visit my fiance. I did a CR1 after marrying so had no visa application in process whilst visiting my fiance. So I was not in the same position as the OP in the sense that when visiting my fiance I had no application in process. However, they do not know from their computer whether you have an application in process. So, I was in the same position as the OP in that I was visiting America to visit my fiance. I was telling the OP that I had successfully visited America and no-one was concerned about it, nor even asked what my future plans were. Had they asked about future plans, the OP might be in a better position than I was because proof of a K1 application indicates that one is intending to do everything the legal way.

I also visited a couple of times after marrying. Once before filing for the CR1 and once after. Neither time did they know from their computers anything about me. The time I visited after filing the officer was very nice, can't remember if I told him I had filed CR1 or he just assumed but he just said, "Bet you can't wait till this is all over!" The time I visited before filing the CR1 I visited for 3 months and was asked what my plans were, given that I was visiting an American husband. I said we would be filing for the visa. She said fine, just stay longer in the UK if it takes a while to be approved.

And I just reread my post, I started by saying "I visited America twice whilst engaged" so I'm assuming no-one else misunderstood my post.

Edited by JoannaV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

You said you had been denied May last year?

We are about to file our initial package actually, so by the time march/april rolls around i'm sure we wont have the NOA2 yet, but will probably receive the first one, right?

; Yes, my access has been denied last May :bonk: !!

Because it was my own stupid fault.

1) The officer asked me if Aaron and I were romantically connected. My answer was; No, he is just a friend. (He was at that time, ofcourse my boyfriend). I was just too scared about getting denied after reading horror stories online. I thought it would be the easy way. Oh my, I was dead wrong. It was horrible how I have been treated. But I guess I kinda deserved it :rolleyes: I'll never listen to other people and do what I always did before and do still. Be honest!! :thumbs:

2) I flew to the US several times, but never had to show any prove. Before I got denied, they asked me things such as a letter from my employer or anything. I didn't bring it with me. Eventhough I had strong ties with Netherlands, I just couldn't prove it to them. (though, I'll never fly through Philladelphia again :blink: )

I've learned from my mistake, got a B2 Visa (multiple entre visa) and I flew after my denial a couple of times - I was dead nervous - but never got me in problems. The officers in Pittsburgh Airport know me by now and they know that Aaron and I are dealing with this legally :innocent:

Good Luck, be well prepared and just be honest. You'll be fine!! Enjoy your time whenever you're in the US!!

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I flew into LA on 23 Dec 2010 for two weeks at Xmas.

Normal procedure...he asked why I was there. I said visiting friends. He replied "visiting friends, interesting" at which point a got a little nervous, but almost right away he stamped it all and said "happy holidays".

Welcome to America. My advice...dont mention your fiance. Friends or family. And always travel with proof of ties to the UK. I had a letter from my boss saying I was coming back on XXX date and my mortgage agreement. I didnt need them at all.

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." ~ Nora Ephron

Our story so far...

Nov 2009 - Met for the first time whilst I was on tour in Cali

Mar 2010 - After staying in touch, met for a few nights at a trade show - It was very real!

Jul 2010 (Independance Day) - Met in San Diego. Knew we were meant to be together

Sep 2010 - Met in San Diego. Knew we wanted to spend our lives together. Started making plans.

Sep 27th 2010 - Found out that we were expecting a baby. Plans bought forward significantly! :-) Happiest man in the world.

Oct 12th 2010 - Sent I-129F pack to USCIS

Oct 19th 2010 - NOA1 Received

Nov 2010 - Spent a week with my lady in the UK

Dec 23rd 2010 - Battled with UK snow and Heathrow's incompetence to spend Xmas with my family

Dec 24th 2010 - Attended first scan and discovered we are expecting a baby boy!

Jan 9th 2011 - Left home to come back to the UK

Jan 21st 2011 - Requested Expedite from USCIS on medical grounds

Jan 27th 2011 - Expedite request approved.

Feb 2nd 2011 - NOA2 Received

Feb 3rd 2011 - Application left NVC to go to London. LDN number received.

Feb 9th 2011 - Packet 3 sent out

Feb 16th 2011 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

Feb 18th 2011 - Requested expedite on interview

Feb 24th 2011 - Packet 3 forms logged

Feb 28th 2011 - Medical

Mar 1st 2011 - London Consular wrote with confirmation of an early interview. In 4 days time! PANIC! Woke up fiancé!

Mar 4th 2011 - Interview...APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.