jpidgley

Are visits to the US during the process allowed?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

So i'm the beneficiary, living in England. we are currently waiting for our NOA2. i was wondering if i'm allowed to visit my fiance in California on my ESTA? or do i have to wait until my visa is completly finalised before i can enter the US again.

Edited by jpidgley
K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

You are able to visit the United States while the K-1 is in process. Whether you'll be allowed in is completely up to the border patrol officer at the airport. As the beneficiary, I suggest you bring strong ties to England proving that you do indeed plan on returning and that you're not trying to skip some steps and move to the United States early.

Timeline

You are able to visit the United States while the K-1 is in process. Whether you'll be allowed in is completely up to the border patrol officer at the airport. As the beneficiary, I suggest you bring strong ties to England proving that you do indeed plan on returning and that you're not trying to skip some steps and move to the United States early.

ok thanks. it would be a genuine VISIT. where i would return to england again. what would you suggest taking to proove i'm not intending to stay?

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

ok thanks. it would be a genuine VISIT. where i would return to england again. what would you suggest taking to proove i'm not intending to stay?

Proof that you've filed for a Visa helped me. Shows you're doing things the right way. Anything that shows ties to your country that you wouldn't abandon. A rental agreement, a letter from an employer stating when they're expecting you back, proof that you attend school, your return ticket, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm bringing a letter from work stating that I am expected to be back on February. You could also bring lease agreements/contracts/bills/mortgage statements (utilities, credit card bills). Just anything that shows that you still have a life back in the UK.

Im also flying to the US in less than a month. So excited! :)

Timeline

Proof that you've filed for a Visa helped me. Shows you're doing things the right way. Anything that shows ties to your country that you wouldn't abandon. A rental agreement, a letter from an employer stating when they're expecting you back, proof that you attend school, your return ticket, etc.

Thanks. I'm actually staying with my parents now, until i get the visa, to get everything together and keep costs down for my fiance and me. which means no bils with my name on. And i'm a freelance designer...so i work for myself. so no letter from work. all i'll have form that list is my return ticket. will that be enough on its own?

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

Thanks. I'm actually staying with my parents now, until i get the visa, to get everything together and keep costs down for my fiance and me. which means no bils with my name on. And i'm a freelance designer...so i work for myself. so no letter from work. all i'll have form that list is my return ticket. will that be enough on its own?

All I had was proof of a Visa being filed for, proof of where I lived (my driver's license) and my return ticket and I was fine. I got more questioning than normal, but I was eventually let through. It honestly depends on the mood of the person you're talking to at the airport.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're from a visa waiver country, so that makes it a lot easier. You certainly want to have those documents with you in case you are questioned at the point of entry, though.

The real problem is for aliens who need to apply for visas, who can't exactly apply for a tourist visa with a sworn statement that they don't intend to immigrate when they already signed a petition which says just the opposite.

Timeline

All I had was proof of a Visa being filed for, proof of where I lived (my driver's license) and my return ticket and I was fine. I got more questioning than normal, but I was eventually let through. It honestly depends on the mood of the person you're talking to at the airport.

what did you use as proof of the visa being filed? I hope the guy is in an ok mood. I'm going to try for the fully 90 day stay!

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I am the beneficiary currently waiting for NOA2 in Australia. My fiancee was very keen for me to visit her in the US.

I don't believe that entering the US while your K1 is processing is impossible, but being knocked back at the border would be devastating.

I sent an inquiry asking this same question to US Customs and Border Protection and this was their response:

"Thank you for submitting your question to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center. I am pleased to provide you with a response.

To answer your question, I would not advise that you attempt to enter the U.S. with your pending K-1 visa. It's extremely risky. If the CBP Officer suspects that you are a risk to enter permanently without completing the proper immigration procedures, he or she could deny you entry which would then effectively bar you from entering the U.S. This is a common occurrence and I honestly wouldn't recommend that you attempt to do so since you've gotten so far in the visa application process.

Feel free to contact us at (877) CBP-5511 or online at www.cbp.gov if you have any further questions."

I don't want to dampen your spirits, but it's very important to know the reality.

All the best with your journey (and thank God for Skype!)

Hi

If you are nervous about not being able to get in why not fly through Dublin to the US. They have US customs at the Dublin airport itself so if you are denied then you won't be out of a very expensive plane ticket to get yourself back to England.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

I am the beneficiary currently waiting for NOA2 in Australia. My fiancee was very keen for me to visit her in the US.

I don't believe that entering the US while your K1 is processing is impossible, but being knocked back at the border would be devastating.

I sent an inquiry asking this same question to US Customs and Border Protection and this was their response:

"Thank you for submitting your question to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center. I am pleased to provide you with a response.

To answer your question, I would not advise that you attempt to enter the U.S. with your pending K-1 visa. It's extremely risky. If the CBP Officer suspects that you are a risk to enter permanently without completing the proper immigration procedures, he or she could deny you entry which would then effectively bar you from entering the U.S. This is a common occurrence and I honestly wouldn't recommend that you attempt to do so since you've gotten so far in the visa application process.

Feel free to contact us at (877) CBP-5511 or online at www.cbp.gov if you have any further questions."

I don't want to dampen your spirits, but it's very important to know the reality.

Thanks a bunch for this response. I was getting my hopes up reading through the previous posts with doubts, but this posts confirms my doubt. Thanks again.

Timeline

If you are nervous about not being able to get in why not fly through Dublin to the US. They have US customs at the Dublin airport itself so if you are denied then you won't be out of a very expensive plane ticket to get yourself back to England.

i dont care if i get sent back, what i care about is potentially screwing up my visa application, and not being allowed back into the US because they think i'm trying to cheat there system...when i'm not.

Hi,

This post is great, thanks!! think i might just give the visit a miss ;)

PS. i'm amazed your skype works, its aweful for us

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

A denied Visa Waiver has absolutely no bearing on your K-1 application.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

A denied Visa Waiver has absolutely no bearing on your K-1 application.

I don't mean to sound rude or ungrateful for the help, because i really am. but @flanders5689 has got a letter from the CBP saying it's not advisable, becasue it could not only affect that one trip, but the whol K1 process. How do you know that this isn't the case?

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.