msd

Applying to a college

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

So I've read on a couple college websites now that they won't accept people with a 3 year Bachelor's degree from india.

I'm not from india but when I wrote to the university of Austin, TX last year they told me I probably won't be considered because my BA degree from austria is also "Only" a 3 year degree.

I don't care about the uni of Austin anymore now because we won't be there but am I going to have this problem with every college/university?

I don't even know any Bachelor programs in austria OR germany that last for 4 years...

I want to apply for a master's.

What is the problem with being done in 3 years rather than 4? I had 15 different courses in the 1st semester alone...

Anybody that can shed some light into this?

I'd be ever so grateful.

Edited by msd

Alles wird gut und wenn es noch nicht gut ist, ist es noch nicht vorbei.

US Citizen as of Arpil 17 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So I've read on a couple college websites now that they won't accept people with a 3 year Bachelor's degree from india.

I'm not from india but when I wrote to the university of Austin, TX last year they told me I probably won't be considered because my BA degree from austria is also "Only" a 3 year degree.

I don't care about the uni of Austin anymore now because we won't be there but am I going to have this problem with every college/university?

I don't even know any Bachelor programs in austria OR germany that last for 4 years...

I want to apply for a master's.

What is the problem with being done in 3 years rather than 4? I had 15 different courses in the 1st semester alone...

Anybody that can shed some light into this?

I'd be ever so grateful.

Was your degree at least 120 credit hours? If so then it is considered a 4 year degree. It does not matter how quickly the degree is completed. What matters is the number of courses taken. At American universities one course is on average 3 credit hours. I had friends who completed their degrees in 3 years and some who took 5+ years, but a bachelors degree is always considered a 4 year degree at accredited universities.

Does your college transcripts state "three years bachelors degree"? If not then stop calling it a three year degree.

09/13/10 - Sent in I-129F

09/16/10 - NOA1 (Letter Received 09/24/10)
10/03/10 - Only Touch Before Approval
03/30/11 - NOA2 (195 Days from NOA1) (Letter Received 04/04/11)
04/07/11 - NVC Received File
04/12/11 - File Left NVC Sent to Embassy
04/13/11 - File Received by Embassy
04/19/11 - Packet 3 Received
04/20/11 - Packet 3 Sent to Embassy
04/29/11 - Packet 4 Received
06/06/11 - Interview (263 Days from NOA1) APPROVED!!!!
06/09/11 - VISA Received
07/04/11 - POE (Washington D.C. Dulles)
07/25/11 - Married

08/11/11 - Sent in I-485,I-131,I-765
08/17/11 - NOA1
09/12/11 - Biometrics
10/13/11 - EAD and AP Approved
10/22/11 - EAD Card Received
10/26/11 - AOS Interview (APPROVED!)
11/04/11 - Green Card Received

08/13/13 - Sent in I-751

08/20/13 - NOA1

09/24/13 - Biometrics (Bad Fingerprints)

10/17/13 - Redo Biometrics, Walk-In

12/03/13 - NOA2 (Approved!)

Timeline

It doesn't state that it's a 3 year degree but the regular time in which it is finished is 3 years. Except for when you fail something and have to take the cours again at the next possible time.

I had a fixed curriculum and was not able to chose any courses myself. More like a school, not a university.

By credit hours, do you mean "weekly hours"? I know it's a total of 180 European Credits... if I just count the weekly hours it would be exactly 121. Not including a 8 month full time internship. Also how you explained it makes much more sense to me. Thank you!

I'll have to wait until they evaluate it anyway, but that question was a big concern of mine.

Edited by msd

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I need help on this aswell,.. have done my Fachabitur / 12 years of school with diploma and then a 3 year School for Physical Therapy..

How do I know I get any credits or have any ?!

Can i go to College ?

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Timeline

You best do some research about getting your credentials evaluated. WES for example does this. But you should get in contact with the school you want to apply to first and ask them which organizations they accept credential evaluations from.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

What is credential evaluation ?!

And did i have to go to UNIVERSITY for it, or can I have credits already since i have a degree ?!

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What is credential evaluation ?!

And did i have to go to UNIVERSITY for it, or can I have credits already since i have a degree ?!

Check with the University you want to attend and ask which evaluations they accept.

For the most part, in my experience, any of the NACES www.naces.org companies will evaluate your foreign transcripts and state their equivalence to the US system. 'Criedts' from Austria will unlikely be the same as 'credits' from the US. WES is very good and last I heard they acknowledge and apply the bologna process which very few evaluators do. I would reccomend WES because they are the most recognized and widely used but they will require the original transcripts being sent to them directly from the issuing institution. This can take a while. For completeness I would reccomend getting a full course by course breakdown with GPA, they cost anything from $150-200. The other option is usually a document by document which costs in the region of $80 but will only state if it is equivalent to the US 4 year degree or not.

In addition I would include any high school related transcripts, in fact I would include any and all education you have previously completed. I am from the UK and my Bachelors degree alone was insufficient, however when combined with my A-Levels (qualifications obtained from 16-18 yrs of age) it amounted to a full 4 years here in the US.

NB: In the UK you complete the equivalent of US high school at 16 and the next 2 years are optional but required for entering University. It counted as the freshman year of a US bachelors degree.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

msd, check with USCIS if the college you attended is accreditted--and if so, show that paper to the college to which you wish to apply.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

In addition I would include any high school related transcripts, in fact I would include any and all education you have previously completed. I am from the UK and my Bachelors degree alone was insufficient, however when combined with my A-Levels (qualifications obtained from 16-18 yrs of age) it amounted to a full 4 years here in the US.

NB: In the UK you complete the equivalent of US high school at 16 and the next 2 years are optional but required for entering University. It counted as the freshman year of a US bachelors degree.

Do they also take the course of study into account and compare them rather than just credits/years/etc?

I've heard from professors both in the UK and the US say that the Bachelor degree programme for psychology is a lot more 'packed' in the UK, independent research and a thesis is compulsory, no other courses HAVE to be taken, etc... whereas the US version is more of a light version / more broad and the Masters covers the content of the UK Bachelor. I've looked at MA courses in psychology in the US, and they do seem to introduce classes that were already covered in my BS. So I would be quite put off if I were to pay the $200 to find they're compared by the amount of time and hours covered rather than the content.

Filed: Other Timeline

The problem is that the educational systems of Germany/Austria/Switzerland and USA are so completely different.

For example, in the USA somebody can only get a High School Diploma, which takes 12 years. In "our" world, we have 3 different Schools and only the highest one gives the Abitur. Interestingly, although that once was a 13-year path, it now is also just a 12-year one. Of course, somebody with an Austrian degree knows as much (probably more) than somebody with a US High School Diploma and an A.A. or A.S.

That fact has been established by giving somebody who holds an Associate Degree the equivalent to the Abitur. That means a US student with an A.A. can START studying in the Old World where somebody with an Abitur right after School starts.

So as you can see, it's all messed up.

In Austria, you do Abitur, 4 years law, and you are a lawyer.

In the US, you do High School, 4 years of Bachelor's, and 3 years of law school, and you have a J.D. that's worth as much as toilet paper in Europe.

I could write an essay about this, having Abitur and a business degree from Europe and having started over in the US with a High School diploma and a Florida school and a B.A. from a California University. I've walked the walk.

You did not mention what degree exactly you have, and that's okay. Understand that these services are sometimes giving equivency evaluations that are so crazy, you'd be shaking your head. So here's my suggestion: have it evaluated by these folks, and I tell you why: they actually certified an equivalent to a Bachelor's to a gal from Germany who had Mittlere Reife and Industriekauffrau!

World Education Services: http://www.wes.org/

Don't believe me?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zweipaesse/message/17628

(Germany only)

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

You did not mention what degree exactly you have, and that's okay. Understand that these services are sometimes giving equivency evaluations that are so crazy, you'd be shaking your head. So here's my suggestion: have it evaluated by these folks, and I tell you why: they actually certified an equivalent to a Bachelor's to a gal from Germany who had Mittlere Reife and Industriekauffrau!

World Education Services: http://www.wes.org/

Don't believe me?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zweipaesse/message/17628

(Germany only)

If that question is still directed towards me, my degree is in Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology. I guess it's a good thing I chose my "Vertiefungsfächer" as Biology and English in High School already.

Now I'm just wondering about this: When I send them my High School Diploma for evaluation of the last 2 non-compulsory years, do I just include Diploma and the last two report cards or ALL of the High School Report cards?? It matters because I'm probably going to need a translation. No?

And do they also require the High School to send it to them directly or is it okay if I send them myself? It's hard enough already to get my University to send all my Bachelor's stuff over...grr.

Also, is there any estimate on how long the evaluation will take once they have everything?

I understand that THEY have to send it to the College I want to apply to rather than me sending a copy after they are done. So I kind of need to time it right. Would look weird if they got my evaluation before I actually send the application in. ^^

Oh and would I still have to take a GED??

I wanted to ask the college all this but two of my emails were flat out ignored and I can't call them yet.

Actually I want to apply for next summer but I want to be prepared.

Thanks for the help btw, I'm really appreciating the info.

Edited by msd

Timeline

Do they also take the course of study into account and compare them rather than just credits/years/etc?

I've heard from professors both in the UK and the US say that the Bachelor degree programme for psychology is a lot more 'packed' in the UK, independent research and a thesis is compulsory, no other courses HAVE to be taken, etc... whereas the US version is more of a light version / more broad and the Masters covers the content of the UK Bachelor. I've looked at MA courses in psychology in the US, and they do seem to introduce classes that were already covered in my BS. So I would be quite put off if I were to pay the $200 to find they're compared by the amount of time and hours covered rather than the content.

The full course by course evaluation will breakdown each course you took and what it's grade would be. In the end it is up to the receiving institution if they accept your credits for direct transfer or not. As I say the basic evaluation will say if it is equivalent to the US 4 year bachelors degree so that is usually enough to enter a masters program in the us. I cannot say it enough times though...check with the school you want to attend to see what they need.

K-1 Visa Journey

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Timeline

I have more questions and need answers. Please please. ^^

"All documents received by WES become the property of WES and will not be released to the applicant." Does that mean I will never ever get back my only original transcripts? They will never give me back my academic life? #######?! Where i come from, the transcripts are my property, issued to me by the educational institution.

Is there a way WES will send them back to me?

How did you all do that? Have the institution issue you a duplicate? I'm psyched at the idea to have my schools send off my originals never to be back.

Timeline

"All documents received by WES become the property of WES and will not be released to the applicant." Does that mean I will never ever get back my only original transcripts? They will never give me back my academic life? #######?! Where i come from, the transcripts are my property, issued to me by the educational institution.

How did you all do that? Have the institution issue you a duplicate? I'm psyched at the idea to have my schools send off my originals never to be back.

Yes WES will keep the documents that are sent to them. If you want a copy for your records then I suggest requesting two, one for you and one for WES (and maybe a third for the college you want to attend. The college will also keep whatever is sent to them.

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

• 2 weeks later...

The transcripts they are looking for are just records, and not a paper diploma by any means. They will be detailed with courses and grades. WES requires them directly from the institution attended (you will need to contact your previous school - perhaps your high school as well) and request these documents be sent to WES. There will be a fee for this. It will be the same with any institution you apply to in North America. They require Official (ie. sealed and coming directly from the school) transcripts to assess your eligibility. A school would also keep these transcripts, and you can request as many copies of these as needed. If your school isn't familiar with this, explain the situation and talk to WES by calling them to find out how you can work around this.

Once you are evaluated, WES will issue a letter stating that you hold education equivalent to whatever they decide, so a 4 yr degree, a 2 yr associates degree, a high school diploma, etc. It depends how it compares to the US system. This is the case for anyone from a different country, even Canada to the USA and vice versa.

Each letter requested from WES will cost you money generally (although this may have changed) and each institution you apply to will require it be sent directly from WES. They, too, will keep that copy they have been sent for their records. There is a base fee for requesting academic evaluations and the turnover time is quite slow at times, so be prepared. Once evaluated, I think they hold the records for so many years and you can request them as you need them. It might also take significant time to retrieve your transcripts from your home country.

Getting a WES evaluation is important for many reasons (or one from another accredited company) as some employers will request this document as well. It also prevents you from having to contact your school back home to get these documents sent every time someone asks for them.

Just another one of the joys of moving to the USA ;)

Also, the docs sent from your school are not originals. They will be certified duplicates in most cases...

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.