ready4ONE

Another fatwa on a cartoonist

72 posts in this topic

I would appreciate a thoughtful response from the pro-Islam faction, devoid of "Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki isn't really a Muslim" dodges.

How do Muslims of more moderate persuasion honestly feel about this woman's life essentially being ruined over even the suggestion of drawing cartoons?

Most Muslims regard any depiction of the prophet, even favorable ones, as blasphemous.
Fair or unfair? How do Moderate Muslims feel on this subject?

Seattle cartoonist behind 'Draw Mohammed Day' goes into hiding

by Associated Press

KING5.com

Posted on September 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM

SEATTLE - The Seattle cartoonist who started "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" with a satirical cartoon in support of free speech has reportedly gone into hiding on the advice of the FBI.

Seattle Weekly editor-in-chief Mark D. Fefer announced in Wednesday's issue that Molly Norris' comic would no longer appear in the paper.

Fefer wrote that the FBI advised Norris to move, change her name and wipe away her identity because of a fatwa, or death sentence, issued against her this summer.

"She is, in effect, being put in a witness-protection program -- except, as she notes, without the government picking up the tab," Fefer wrote. He told The Associated Press on Thursday that he had nothing further to say because it's a sensitive situation.

The FBI also declined to comment Thursday. David Gomez, the FBI's special agent in charge of counterterrorism in Seattle, told the New York Daily News in July that the agency was doing everything it could to protect individuals on a fatwa list issued by Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

Awlaki said in the June issue of English-language Muslim youth magazine "Inspire" that Norris is a "prime target" who should reside in "Hellfire."

Norris' cartoon inspired a Facebook page that caught the attention of authorities in Pakistan, who banned the social networking site in response.

Most Muslims regard any depiction of the prophet, even favorable ones, as blasphemous.

The Facebook page encouraged people to post images of Mohammed to protest threats against the creators of the American TV series "South Park" for depicting the prophet in a bear suit during an episode earlier this year.

Although the Facebook page was taken down by its creator, references to the page and to Norris' cartoon remain online.

Norris wrote in a post on her website that she meant her work only to be a commentary on the "South Park" controversy.

"I made a cartoon about the television show South Park being censored," she wrote. "I never started a Facebook page. I apologize to people of Muslim faith and ask that this 'day' be called off."

Her cartoon posted at the end of April declared May 20, 2010, as the first annual "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day," and depicts a group of colorful animated objects under the headline: "Will the real likeness of the prophet Mohammed please stand up?!" The cartoon says it is sponsored by "Citizens against Citizens against Humor."

That fictional group now has its own website featuring cartoons and comments.

Attempts to reach Norris for comment were unsuccessful because her telephone number is not listed. Her website has been taken down.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Seattle-cartoonist-behind-Draw-Mohammed-Day-goes-into-hiding-103095179.html

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Amby! Looked but didn't see your thread.

Mine differs only in requesting specific responses to portions of this story, I will ask them in your thread.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Sorry Amby! Looked but didn't see your thread.

Mine differs only in requesting specific responses to portions of this story, I will ask them in your thread.

Is this what VJ has come to, really? A place where muslims must comply with some arbitrary rules in order to satisfy the biased that they have nothing to do with terrorist aggression?

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Is this what VJ has come to, really? A place where muslims must comply with some arbitrary rules in order to satisfy the biased that they have nothing to do with terrorist aggression?

Only if we let it. I say no.

I can't see how a demand for such a thing is within TOS guidlines - it's by its very nature discriminatory, you shouldn't even be required to say no to such outlandish demands.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I would appreciate a thoughtful response from the pro-Islam faction, devoid of "Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki isn't really a Muslim" dodges.

:rofl:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

No but there is any number of example threads where you and Mad attempt to deflect and derail all discussion on the topic, thus specificity in my requested response. I expect nothing but more of the same from either of you, and deliberately stoop to Mad's tactics when forced. But that is in an effort to break him, doomed to failure though it appears to be, of the habit.

If you were to look at the posts of mine where some level of seriousness on my part is conveyed, you would see I have an open and fair mind on this and many other topics. you and Mad have lost all credibility with me and get my sarcasm.

The question was not for you.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

I feel compelled to point out, Sofyaa, that both of my questions were asked close to verbatim on the radio today by talk show hosts speaking to the Seattle area head of CAIR.

I didn't intend to double post this topic here as Amby already posted the same story. I will discuss what was said in Amby's thread, but it was over all positive with what this CAIR leader had to say in answer to my questions.

Sofyaa I have on occasion expressed positive reaction to your posts and topics. Those are genuine. I give credit where credit is due.

Let's carry on discussion, but in Amby's thread.

Edited by ready4ONE

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ya know, this is 2010.

The prior fatwa was so highly publicized, that even a simpleton could draw the basic conclusion of

'Draw a Cartoon, some Muallah/Imam is gonna issue a fatwa on yer heid'.

For Molly Norris to 'not understand' the consequences of her actions, even prior to putting pen to paper, speaks volumes of her ignorance.

I've no compassion for her stupidity, at all. I prefer not to live in a society that thinks her actions have no consequences.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

No but there is any number of example threads where you and Mad attempt to deflect and derail all discussion on the topic, thus specificity in my requested response. I expect nothing but more of the same from either of you, and deliberately stoop to Mad's tactics when forced. But that is in an effort to break him, doomed to failure though it appears to be, of the habit.

If you were to look at the posts of mine where some level of seriousness on my part is conveyed, you would see I have an open and fair mind on this and many other topics. you and Mad have lost all credibility with me and get my sarcasm.

The question was not for you.

If you want to accuse me of some TOS violation, go right ahead, report my posts that are, in your opinion, deliberate attempts to derail threads. I'll warn you now though, that I will report you if you continue to fling unsubstantiated accusations about me; your entire post has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject and is just an attempt to smear me, and I will not stand for it.

If you want to accuse me of some TOS violation, go right ahead, report my posts that are, in your opinion, deliberate attempts to derail threads. I'll warn you now though, that I will report you if you continue to fling unsubstantiated accusations about me; your entire post has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject and is just an attempt to smear me, and I will not stand for it.

Accusations of violating TOS is one of the very few tricks in your and Mad's books. I really don't get too upset with either of you and have never reported anyone or any topic or post.

Nothing prevents anyone from ignoring posts they disagree with. Same with any topic under discussion.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Accusations of violating TOS is one of the very few tricks in your and Mad's books. I really don't get too upset with either of you and have never reported anyone or any topic or post.

Nothing prevents anyone from ignoring posts they disagree with. Same with any topic under discussion.

Again with the accusations. Seriously, quit it. Get on with whatever serious discussion you want to and go ahead and IGNORE the posts that are so derailing that you have to demand muslims post in your threads in order to be able to carry on a discussion. Have at it.

Again with the accusations. Seriously, quit it. Get on with whatever serious discussion you want to and go ahead and IGNORE the posts that are so derailing that you have to demand muslims post in your threads in order to be able to carry on a discussion. Have at it.

Only you and Mad go the threaten to report TOS route. Accusations are your specialty. I demanded nothing beyond asking you to refrain with your pat responses. Asked for to clarify not demand.

Calm down and reread your own posts.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Ya know, this is 2010.

The prior fatwa was so highly publicized, that even a simpleton could draw the basic conclusion of

'Draw a Cartoon, some Muallah/Imam is gonna issue a fatwa on yer heid'.

For Molly Norris to 'not understand' the consequences of her actions, even prior to putting pen to paper, speaks volumes of her ignorance.

I've no compassion for her stupidity, at all. I prefer not to live in a society that thinks her actions have no consequences.

Actions have consequences, for sure. Just as they do when an American practices their right to free speech, then suffers because of it. Engaging a right doesn't confer protection from blow back any opposition is prepared to level.

That being said, I do have compassion for her. She was naive, no doubt, but artists usually do operate in their own worlds. I am also split, feeling that people need to show more respect for the religious beliefs of others. I don't appreciate people defaming the Quran, our prophets, our traditions for any reason.

I feel the same way about the abuse of Jesus in vulgar displays like Piss Christ, a crucifix immersed in a container of urine and called "art". Yet, while they make offend the moral sensitivities of some, they are firmly supported by the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

While I am a supporter of the theory of free speech, the practice is often worrisome. Does Anwar al-Awlaki, an American citizen, have the right to call for the death of this woman? Under the law, he just may; even some vile types of speech are protected, within limits. Inciting others to act upon the call crosses the limits of his right to speak. al-Awlaki knows that the very issuance of a death fatwa will encourage someone to carry it out, if possible. That is wrong.

What is also wrong is to act as judge and executioner. God tells us repeatedly that there will be those who are misguided in the world, and that we are to encourage them to change their ways. But, we are to do so gently and with grace. If we find any good in them, to show mercy and forgiveness toward them, as He would toward us. If they do not wish to respect God and His authority, He will judge them and determine their fate. It is not up to us to declare war against those who do not attack us first. Molly did something distasteful, arrogant and disrespectful, but it certainly does not rise to a declaration of war on Islam.

Our Nabi (pbuh) did not enjoy punishing people, even those who admitted their sins and sought punishment. There are many stories about how he turned his back on confessors, offering them an opportunity to avoid the death or disfigurement that would be prescribed for their acts. Justice required a chance for them to admit their flaws, then continue on mindful not to repeat them again. A central theme of the Quran, the central theme of my life, is that we do justice, even if it is hard, even if it causes division in our homes, even if it brings punishment upon us. We must do justice first and foremost, for we cannot know what is in a person's heart as God does, but we do know what is in ours.

O you who believe! stand out firmly for God, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of any people make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to piety: and fear God. For He is well-acquainted with all that you do. [sûrah al-Mâ'idah: 8]

The reason why I utter a constant refrain that Muslims who support or commit terrorism against innocents are not acting in the name of Islam is because their violence is antithetical to the core of the Message of the Quran. Its Message is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the Message of Jesus: Allow love and acceptance of others to fill your heart. God could have made us all believe the same, but He made us different so that we would have to find a way to strive together toward Him in peace. Jews, Christians and Muslims are all ahl al kitab, People of the Book, and brothers to each other.

I do feel great compassion for Molly and I will make dua for her safety until it is assured. She has apologized, begged for mercy and forgiveness and I love her as God wants me to. I have empathy for her so that I can honestly humble myself at my time of Judgement, which will inevitably come. How can I do less and claim to know God, to serve Him, to want to please Him by serving others? I will also continue to pray for those misguided Muslims who taint and subvert the Will of God by hurting others. I am not perfect, I am not powerful, but I can do this.

We all carry our own burdens, but can make a choice to take on the burdens of others who are weaker and need support. I gladly accept the fact that the bad acts of those who commit evil in the name of my faith are my burden, as I always have in my work and my life, and always will. I'm just so tired of having to profess it to those who doubt that Muslims are capable of mercy, of doing justice or loving others who are not like themselves. We do. We must. To love others is to be loved by God, for they, too, are God's creation. We are in this together and no one gets out alive.

When we close our hearts to others, our eyes are closed to see the beauty of God in them. The message of Islam, Judaism, Christianity and all other religions is one of love and service to others. If God decides to care and love and feed even those who deny his existence, then who are we to deprive someone else of our love just because he is of different color or speaks a different language or is born in a different country or prays to the same God but in a different direction, using different words? - Dr. Shahid Athar, October 21, 2001

I hope that helps.

Edited by Sofiyya