PhiLandShiR

Opponents fight plans for mosques from coast to coast

12 posts in this topic

Murfreesboro, Tenn. -- Muslims trying to build houses of worship in the nation's heartland, far from the heated fight in New York over plans for a mosque near ground zero, are running into opponents even more hostile and aggressive.

Foes of proposed mosques have deployed dogs to intimidate Muslims holding prayer services and spray-painted "Not Welcome" on a construction sign, then later ripped it apart.

The 13-story, $100 million Islamic center that could soon rise two blocks from the site of the Sept. 11 attacks would dwarf the proposals elsewhere, yet the smaller projects in local communities are stoking a sharper kind of fear and anger than has showed up in New York.

In the Nashville suburb of Murfreesboro, opponents of a new Islamic center say they believe the mosque will be more than a place of prayer. They are afraid the 15-acre site will be turned into a terrorist training ground for Muslim militants bent on overthrowing the U.S. government.

"They are not a religion. They are a political, militaristic group," said Bob Shelton, a 76-year-old area retiree. :wow:

In Temecula, Calif., opponents took dogs to protest a proposed 25,000-square-foot mosque that would sit on 4 acres next to a Baptist church. Opponents fear it will turn the town into haven for Islamic extremists, but mosque leaders say they are peaceful and just need more room to serve members.

Islam is a growing faith in the United States, though Muslims represent less than 1 percent of the country's population. Ten years ago, there were about 1,200 mosques nationwide. Now there are roughly 1,900, said Ihsan Bagby, professor of Islamic Studies at the University of Kentucky and a researcher on surveys of American mosques.

The growth involves Islamic centers expanding to accommodate more Muslims -- as is the case in New York, California and Tennessee -- as well as mosques cropping up in smaller, more isolated communities, Bagby said.

Zuhdi Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, a nonprofit that advocates for reform and modernization of Islam, said opposing mosques is no way to prevent terrorism.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as the media potrays Islam as such, that's how mainstream American will perceieve them....

It's just like those who treat mormons as a 'cult.'

If it doesn't fit with your beliefs, and all you see in the media is negative, then the only response you're going to get is a negative one...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Murfreesboro, Tenn. -- Muslims trying to build houses of worship in the nation's heartland, far from the heated fight in New York over plans for a mosque near ground zero, are running into opponents even more hostile and aggressive.

Islam is a growing faith in the United States, though Muslims represent less than 1 percent of the country's population. Ten years ago, there were about 1,200 mosques nationwide. Now there are roughly 1,900, said Ihsan Bagby, professor of Islamic Studies at the University of Kentucky and a researcher on surveys of American mosques.

The mosque opponents are fools to blindly oppose all mosques. There may be opposition but they aren't stopping new mosques from be built as there are more mosque now than 10 years ago.

The article doesn't mention it but there plenty of churches and synagogues that get vandalized as well. Messing with others' houses of worship is bad on principle and needs to be prosecuted.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

As long as the media potrays Islam as such, that's how mainstream American will perceieve them....

It's just like those who treat mormons as a 'cult.'

If it doesn't fit with your beliefs, and all you see in the media is negative, then the only response you're going to get is a negative one...

I have yet to see the media post pics and video's of massive rally's and marches of Muslims against "Muslim extremist".

LOL... where are those pics and vids ! Better yet where were the rally's and marches...if any.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I have yet to see the media post pics and video's of massive rally's and marches of Muslims against "Muslim extremist".

LOL... where are those pics and vids ! Better yet where were the rally's and marches...if any.

You don't really give a damn if Muslims march or rally against extremism. We're all terrorists to you anyway. Admit it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Coservatives just want to control different things. The problem is politicians and politics.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

You don't really give a damn if Muslims march or rally against extremism. We're all terrorists to you anyway. Admit it.

Post those pics and vids and on here and I might be swayed. :)

btw I have a few Muslim friends from the island of Bali, and them ever being terrorist is unthinkable to me.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Post those pics and vids and on here and I might be swayed. :)

btw I have a few Muslim friends from the island of Bali, and them ever being terrorist is unthinkable to me.

Not interested in swaying you. You've had since 2001 to notice Muslim protestations against terrorism and you didn't bother. I'm not going out of my way to do what you could do yourself.

Not interested in swaying you. You've had since 2001 to notice Muslim protestations against terrorism and you didn't bother. I'm not going out of my way to do what you could do yourself.

LOL. Your too funny. Better yet let's do a "google" on it and see what we come up with eh ?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Muslim+protestations+against+terrorism&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=728ef3750cf3a29c

You lose.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was talking with a guy from India (Hindu) at lunch the other day. He had the idea that they wanted to build the mosque on GZ. When i told him it was a few blocks away, he said "what's the problem?"

**Rant On

I don't have a stake in any of this, as I think all religion is just a reason for people to kill each other. It would be slightly amusing if so many people didn't die because of it. Pat Robertson and and that nut lady from Tennessee opposing that mosque in Murfreesboro would be even more hilarious if it wasn't so stupid.

**Rant Off

I'm looking to go back to Asia and get residency in a country there. I can't wait to turn my passport in to the nearest Embassy. The US is now the standard for propaganda based on competing cable news networks. Pravda would be proud.

Disclosure: I have voted Republican all my life. Now even they have been hijacked by the crazies.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

LOL. Your too funny. Better yet let's do a "google" on it and see what we come up with eh ?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Muslim+protestations+against+terrorism&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=728ef3750cf3a29c

You lose.

Google is your idea of research? Hate sites are your examples? Intellectual laziness, thy name is Why_Me.

Disclosure: I have voted Republican all my life. Now even they have been hijacked by the crazies.

Get in line. I'm a recovering former Republican. If there are a lot more like me, they can stop bragging about their chances in November coz I'm gone.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Google is your idea of research? Intellectual laziness, thy name is Why_Me.

Get in line. I'm a recovering former Republican. If there are a lot more like me, they can stop bragging about their chances in November coz I'm gone.

At this point I wont even bother. I wont vote for either of the parties. Both parties are filled with a bunch of 4 year olds that cant get along on the playground thanks to their paymasters. I thought Thai politics were messed up when I lived there. I stand corrected. At least in Thailand they have a military coup every now and then. Seems to get the politicians in line for awhile.

I never thought I would condone something like that, but these guys are idiots. On both sides of the aisle. George Bush turned out to be a moron with some executive experience. Obama is somewhat intellectual with zero experience. McCain would have been the right choice, but he got beat down for not being right wing enough.

Let's just get it over with and have a civil war or a military coup. This place is basically a banana republic now. See 2000 elections.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!