CA dreamer

how long to take my ssn?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

it's been 26 days since i arrived usa,i got a welcome letter on 24th of march regarding the permanent resident card,now i went to the ss office with all my docs to inquire why they did not send me,the lady there was surprised to see a cr1 visa,she told me to wait more 30 days,i told her to ask her supervisor who got my arabic and english birth certificates and handed me a paper that my social number may take up to 4 weeks for document verification,did this happened to any one?

one more question: can i apply for jobs with a cr1 visa on my passport only?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

it's been 26 days since i arrived usa,i got a welcome letter on 24th of march regarding the permanent resident card,now i went to the ss office with all my docs to inquire why they did not send me,the lady there was surprised to see a cr1 visa,she told me to wait more 30 days,i told her to ask her supervisor who got my arabic and english birth certificates and handed me a paper that my social number may take up to 4 weeks for document verification,did this happened to any one?

one more question: can i apply for jobs with a cr1 visa on my passport only?

Hello~

I'm not sure if I can answer your questions or not, but I will do my best for you. Since you have gone to the SS# office and they wrote out your number, that is one step in the right direction. You will get your card soon.

Have you gotten your conditional green card yet? That and your social security number is what you need to apply for a job. I don't think just having your passport will do. InsA you will get your green card in the mail too. If you have a job all ready lined up the employers is able to go to the USCIS website t verify you are eligible to work.

Good luck with your new life! I know it's rough adjusting so I hope all is well with you and your wife.good.gif

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Same here, they told me to wait of maximum eight weeks before I will receive my SSN Card.

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

Timeline

i haven't got my conditional gc yet but the uscis send me another notice today it is a second welcome letter dated 7th april. i checked the website to see the following:

On April 12, 2010, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this OS155A IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

go back to the SSA office, talk to that supervisor again, and ask them to look you up in the SAVE database,

and also ask them if they have a record of you applying for a SSN via the DS-230 form with any DOS data transfer.

If there is no record of that application, then you absolutely have to apply again.

re: working - you need green card and ssn to work, legally. Review the I-9 form and check yer documents. Also - the POE stamp validates the CR-1 visa stamp to be used a temp I-551 (green card) whilst yer waiting for the actual card to arrive. If you did not show your passport with the stamps at the SSA office - uhm.. go back, and do so, whilst yer talking to a supervisor about the SAVE databae.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

go back to the SSA office, talk to that supervisor again, and ask them to look you up in the SAVE database,

and also ask them if they have a record of you applying for a SSN via the DS-230 form with any DOS data transfer.

If there is no record of that application, then you absolutely have to apply again.

re: working - you need green card and ssn to work, legally. Review the I-9 form and check yer documents. Also - the POE stamp validates the CR-1 visa stamp to be used a temp I-551 (green card) whilst yer waiting for the actual card to arrive. If you did not show your passport with the stamps at the SSA office - uhm.. go back, and do so, whilst yer talking to a supervisor about the SAVE databae.

Good Luck !

Thanks for this information, Darnell. I have been wondering about that too. I keep getting conflicting responses about applying for the SSN. One person told me that they asked her husband at the POE whether or not he wanted them to apply for the SS # for him or not. So basically, once he has arrived here, we will go down to the SS office and have a supervisor check and see if he is in the SAVE database, if he is, then we know they applied for him, and if not then we will need to.

How long do you think it would take for them to get him into the SAVE database?

I have been looking for a pinned thread or something to what to expect once your SO arrives to their POE so I can relay the info to my hubby.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Timeline

Thanks for this information, Darnell. I have been wondering about that too. I keep getting conflicting responses about applying for the SSN.

If you search on 'SAVE' with my name here, on VJ - you'll run across some longish replies - should be a good read.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

we will go down to the SS office and have a supervisor check and see if he is in the SAVE database, if he is, then we know they applied for him, and if not then we will need to.

it's a bit convoluted, but is no linkage in SAVE for 'did the data transfer from the DS-230 or no' - SAVE is used by DHS/CBP to identify when an immigrant came across the border for first POE, and has record of that entry date. SSA offices can 'look up' an immigrant in SAVE, to ascertain the validity of that human's presence in the USA. It's not tied to SSN, but SSA uses it to confirm validity of presence.

If the Data Transfer was successful from the DS-230 into SSA, then there will be a record of an application somewhere in a SSA computer system (not SAVE, btw) . So a supervisor would have to review an SSA computer system , to determine if this 'actual record' exists, or not exist.

How long do you think it would take for them to get him into the SAVE database? this varies - the update is never in real time. It starts at POE, on POE date. Some ppl have had luck with 'next day' - my rule of thumb is to wait 14 calendar days from POE date.

I have been looking for a pinned thread or something to what to expect once your SO arrives to their POE so I can relay the info to my hubby. there is something pinned about SSN application process, I remember some scant reference to it - perhaps is a mini-guide, instead?

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

OK - here's the VJ guide for getting a SSN -

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

I think it's a bit sparse though.

Timeline

yes the employee at the ssa checked the data base to see if i already applied for a number before and found nothing,she took my arabic/english birth certificate and the ssn application i filled there and told me to wait up to 4 weeks to make document verification for the proof of age,and about my gc i checked on the website to see that they approved this OS155A so hopefully i hear any news this month,i cannot move out of the home while wifey goes to work everyday(: i cannot apply to any job with the passport cos i already made an interview and i was eliminated cos lack of papers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.