chzuga

Filing for a Visitor's Visa

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Group People,

I have met this beautiful filipina and I now want to marry her. We are both crazy in love with each other. The long story short is this one. I can only go over to the PI on or about Jan or Feb 2007. I know that we are meant to be with each other and would LOVE to do it quickly already. I called an attorney here and he told me to file for the K1 a month before I go there so by the time I get back here, all I would have to do is send in the photos and such of us two. She suggested to me about a Visitor's Visa. That got me to thinking and would not it be a GREAT idea if she could come here and then I can contact whatever authorities here needed in order to file for marriage while she is HERE?

I hope I have made myself clear enough to you guys here. What I am asking to find out if it is feasible to apply for a visitor's visa for her here, get her here and then apply for a K1? My premilinary thinking would say that with a visitors, should not take as long as the K1. I am planning in calling a Imm. attorney next week to discuss if this is a soluble solution.

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks in advance,

Angel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

There are two realities that you need to understand.

First, they will never never issue her a tourist visa to come and visit some guy to see if they are in love and want to get married someday.

Second, you cannot submit a I129F petition unless you have met all the requirements at the time of filing. Namely, that you have met within the two previous years and can provide the evidence. You cannot file now and supply the evidence later on. Anything that you submit has to be valid at the time of filing.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Congratulations on finding "the one".

Hoping not to burst your bubble but to file for a visitor visa with the intent of marrying and immigrating to the USA would be classed as material misrepresentation as a visitor visa is just that - to visit for a specific limited period of time and then return to your home country. The only way that would be legal would be if you were to marry on the visitor visa, for her to return home to the PI and for you then to file a K3 spousal visa application. or of course you can go the K1 fiancee visa route.

"Qualifying for a visitor Visa (taken from USCIS website - http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/tem...usPleasure.htm)

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;

They plan to remain for a specific, limited period; and

They have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit."

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Angel,

She will need to apply for a visitors visa in the PI's not here, she applies at the US embassy and if the PI's are anything like China it will not be easy. She will need proof of ties to the PI, like a good stable job, family, etc. Too many times in the pastpeople have been given tourist visas to the US and stayed and dissappeared from radar. They know better now. Sorry.

Also there is something called visa fraud which is looked upon harshly. If someone comes here as a visitor and their intent is to marry a USC while here they could love their rights to come back for many (10?) years.

Hello Group People,

I have met this beautiful filipina and I now want to marry her. We are both crazy in love with each other. The long story short is this one. I can only go over to the PI on or about Jan or Feb 2007. I know that we are meant to be with each other and would LOVE to do it quickly already. I called an attorney here and he told me to file for the K1 a month before I go there so by the time I get back here, all I would have to do is send in the photos and such of us two. She suggested to me about a Visitor's Visa. That got me to thinking and would not it be a GREAT idea if she could come here and then I can contact whatever authorities here needed in order to file for marriage while she is HERE?

I hope I have made myself clear enough to you guys here. What I am asking to find out if it is feasible to apply for a visitor's visa for her here, get her here and then apply for a K1? My premilinary thinking would say that with a visitors, should not take as long as the K1. I am planning in calling a Imm. attorney next week to discuss if this is a soluble solution.

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks in advance,

Angel

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your visit to Phillipines. To apply for a K1 you have to show proof of having met in person within the past 2 years (but there are exceptions that can be found on the I129f form). So your ticket, visa, pictures of you guys together, as well as credit card receipts and things like that would be evidence of your having met.

From what I've read on VJ so far, she can apply for a tourist visa and then be with you while you're applying for the K1. However, she would have to go back to the Philippines for the interview which is held in the U.S. consulate or embassy in the foreign country. Also, I'm not sure how difficult it would be for her to obtain a tourist visa or to enter the country.

Another option you have is to file for a K3. You would get married in the foreign country. But I guess there are more experienced VJs here on that matter that will be able to advise you.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

I would suggest you get a new attorney. You have received some poor advice.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm lost. On your profile you have this under "Our Story"

We met through Yahoo chat and I went to visit her there in Christmas 2002. We started the visa journey on Oct. 2003.

Timeline

We met through Yahoo chat and I went to visit her there in Christmas 2002. We started the visa journey on Oct. 2003.

I tried to see his timeline and its gone now. Maybe the first relationship didn't work out?

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Nope its still there!!! His post is a bit scanty.

I tried to see his timeline and its gone now. Maybe the first relationship didn't work out?

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Timeline
I would suggest you get a new attorney. You have received some poor advice.

Jen

Help us out, Jen!

Let's see if I can make it clearer, even if I fail to provide in depth details.

She can go to the U.S. with a tourist visa, provided that she can show that she has strong ties to her home country. This has been proved very difficult and many people have their visas denied.

However, if she does get the visa, then it's highly risky that you guys get married. You'd have to prove that she didn't have the intention to marry a USC during her stay. If you fail to prove that, it would be considered fraud and the consequences are very tough.

To file for a K1, you have to submit proof, when you send the service center with jurisdiction over the state you live in, that you have met your fiance within the 2 past years. So you'd have to fly there and collect evidence. Or, if she gets luck with her visa, you can collect evidence in the U.S. She'd have to be in her home country for the interview in the U.S. consulate.

The other route, is applying for a K3. In this case, you'd go to the Philippines and would get married. She'd have to stay there and wait for the approval to go to the U.S.

Nope its still there!!! His post is a bit scanty.

Weird, I can't see the timeline.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The timeline is not there but that little blurb is posted in the bottom right of the profile.

Anyhow it doesn't matter that he's gone this route before and I assume (although they say you should never assume) that he has. I figured that perhaps the poster would have known how it all worked from the last time. That's all.

It looks like he has the answers he needs. :)

Timeline
The timeline is not there but that little blurb is posted in the bottom right of the profile.

Anyhow it doesn't matter that he's gone this route before and I assume (although they say you should never assume) that he has. I figured that perhaps the poster would have known how it all worked from the last time. That's all.

It looks like he has the answers he needs. :)

Oh yeah, I just saw the two-line story thing. Well, let's see how this story develops. :)

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
I think you should meet this woman face to face before you make appointments with immigration lawyers.

This was certainly the best piece of advice so far...

Timeline (incompleta)

Mew, check the profile, that is where I found the information that was quoted... not the timeline.

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.