Pman's Wife

Travel Tips for Nigeria

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So, you're going to meet the family? Norms are a little different from one country to another, so here are some of the customs I learned on the fly. Feel free to add any (of the many) I may have missed.

1. Don't strip down to your bikini, even at the beach in Victoria Island when it's really hot. It's always HOT, but people dress conservatively and act indifferently.
  2. Don't swim at the beach. The water's too rough and nobody will want to join you/rescue you. :help: *Plus you'll come out looking roughed up which is not cool. :luv:
  3. Don't skip malaria pill doses. Malaria is real and will add to your misery. Same goes for other vaccinations. Why ruin your trip with illness?
  4. Don't even try to politely decline meals. Everyone will wonder what's wrong with you and unless something is wrong with you, there's no way declining food will be seen as polite. Just try to eat "small-small." Be warned: *Small-small is equivalent to big-big in American portions. We'd be more inclined to call the meals there "super-sized," so you have to run your stomach down to "E" in order to make room for the next gigantic meal.
  5. Don't be surprised if you're the only one eating. Feeding guests is a big part of Nigerian hospitality. They'll eat "later-now." Whatever that means!
  6. Wash your hands REALLY WELL and publicly. Many popular dishes are eaten without utensils and communally. *Really well is for your own sake. *Publicly puts your fellow diners at ease.
  7. If you're ambidextrous, go ahead and use your right hand for a lot of things... especially eating. The left-handed revolution hasn't quite caught on there. I'm a little nervous about what I heard about the left hand. Are they still wiping with it?
  8. Don't throw out 1/2 your drink because you're full or it's become warm. Put it back in the fridge. (This will get you scolded in many US houeholds, but apparently we're wasteful and the concept of 'cooties' hasn't spread beyond our borders.)
  9. Don't freak out or even flinch much over things. There will be many tests (i.e. public bathroom test, omg what are they selling as food test, etc.) Bring your "nerves of steel," and behave like a good guest B) .
  10. Bring your own TP for the public bathroom test. It's just not readily available. :blink: left hand?
  11. Be prepared to pay in local currency for everything. Not a lot of plastic opportunities.

• Bonus: Remember, you and just about everything you think of as normal are odd to your hosts, yet they are doing everything they can to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Be grateful. Your SO will appreciate it. :star:

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Too funny and soooo right... :rofl:

What sucks is that Im naturally left handed..

Edited by mstamiz2much

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Whew! Done!.... Well, for the next two years anyway...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Later now = later :lol::rofl:

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Later now = later :lol::rofl:

I'm coming = I am leaving and will be back.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sleep it off - going to sleep

He - Could be of male or female origin

Ease myself - Going to use the bathroom/ toilet

Feeling high - um well, for the grown folks: ( :secret: ready for some lovin)

Oh, how I miss it over there.... :crying:

Edited by mstamiz2much

K1 Journey:

Filed: 2009-01-12... USCIS Approved: 2009-06-05... 1st Interview/Admin Review: 2009-09-09...2nd Interview/Approved: 2010-01-27

AOS Journey:

Filed: 2010-05-20... Interview: 2010-11-30... Approved: 2010-12-03... Card Rcvd: 2010-12-18...

Whew! Done!.... Well, for the next two years anyway...

So, you're going to meet the family? Norms are a little different from one country to another, so here are some of the customs I learned on the fly. Feel free to add any (of the many) I may have missed.

1. Don't strip down to your bikini, even at the beach in Victoria Island when it's really hot. It's always HOT, but people dress conservatively and act indifferently.
  2. Don't swim at the beach. The water's too rough and nobody will want to join you/rescue you. :help: *Plus you'll come out looking roughed up which is not cool. :luv:
  3. Don't skip malaria pill doses. Malaria is real and will add to your misery. Same goes for other vaccinations. Why ruin your trip with illness?
  4. Don't even try to politely decline meals. Everyone will wonder what's wrong with you and unless something is wrong with you, there's no way declining food will be seen as polite. Just try to eat "small-small." Be warned: *Small-small is equivalent to big-big in American portions. We'd be more inclined to call the meals there "super-sized," so you have to run your stomach down to "E" in order to make room for the next gigantic meal.
  5. Don't be surprised if you're the only one eating. Feeding guests is a big part of Nigerian hospitality. They'll eat "later-now." Whatever that means!
  6. Wash your hands REALLY WELL and publicly. Many popular dishes are eaten without utensils and communally. *Really well is for your own sake. *Publicly puts your fellow diners at ease.
  7. If you're ambidextrous, go ahead and use your right hand for a lot of things... especially eating. The left-handed revolution hasn't quite caught on there. I'm a little nervous about what I heard about the left hand. Are they still wiping with it?
  8. Don't throw out 1/2 your drink because you're full or it's become warm. Put it back in the fridge. (This will get you scolded in many US houeholds, but apparently we're wasteful and the concept of 'cooties' hasn't spread beyond our borders.)
  9. Don't freak out or even flinch much over things. There will be many tests (i.e. public bathroom test, omg what are they selling as food test, etc.) Bring your "nerves of steel," and behave like a good guest B) .
  10. Bring your own TP for the public bathroom test. It's just not readily available. :blink: left hand?
  11. Be prepared to pay in local currency for everything. Not a lot of plastic opportunities.

• Bonus: Remember, you and just about everything you think of as normal are odd to your hosts, yet they are doing everything they can to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Be grateful. Your SO will appreciate it. :star:

This post is funny, cute, very very true, and can be helpul to many :star:

Timeline

Carbon Copy = Look alike or exact copy

Abeg = Please

Mama Put - Road side food kiosks

Woo Hoo :dance: i miss Naija pidgin English on African Magic :blush:

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

N - 400

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Abeg = Please

OK so maybe I'm dating myself but Carbon Copy isn't just an African term - LOL! There used to be this terrible carbon paper one would put under a sheet of paper to make two copies. What do you think the CC in an email stands for? Carbon Copy would be the answer :)

Didn't know the others though thanks!

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Abeg = Please

OK so maybe I'm dating myself but Carbon Copy isn't just an African term - LOL! There used to be this terrible carbon paper one would put under a sheet of paper to make two copies. What do you think the CC in an email stands for? Carbon Copy would be the answer :)

"I'll tell you how I go"= I'll tell you how things went or I'll tell you what happend

Timeline

I dont think in english we use it to describe resemblance in people e.g.

you be the exact carbon copy of your father means you are the exact replica of your father .

I found it funny but forgive me , english not my first language.

Abeg = Please

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

N - 400

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

I dont think in english we use it to describe resemblance in people e.g.

you be the exact carbon copy of your father means you are the exact replica of your father .

I found it funny but forgive me , english not my first language.

Abeg = Please

Maybe it's a territory thing because I remember my parents using it all the time - that and "Spittin' image" as in, "He's the spittin' image of his father." Language is funny that's for certain.

An older man I know recently passed away, he was Dutch and had been in this country for 40+ years and still didn't grasp all the slang and such here. His son told a story of when he and his dad and several others were all together and he told a joke. Everyone was laughing so his dad joined in not really understanding and then to make it appear he did know what it was all about his dad said, "Oh Mark you're such a slvt." Mark was like, "What did you just say" and his dad got this sheepish look, he knew he had just said something really wrong. The entire church busted up laughing at the memorial service.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well, the old sayin is true: Language is the gateway to culture.

I'm glad everyone had a good giggle over my little culture clash experience :lol: . Some posts with added translations really help me to understand my recent trip retrospectively. Some were unfamiliar and may well represent different subcultures.

Abeg seems universal or at least in very popular use. Every time someone said 'Abeg,' I felt obligated to tell them that they don't have to beg. I didn't know they were just asking politely; please. :innocent:

Today I'm reminiscing on the food...

It was really hard to resist the urge to eat the food with 'proper utensils.' I'm proud to say I passed the test, but with little more than a C- at best because of the whole left-handed thing. Also, when I eat, the soup invariably ends up on my hand(s). I could never finish the "small-small" pounded yam and it also had signs of soup touching it when I got through. This never happened to Pman. I'm sure he has an A+ in etiquette. I'm on par with the kids when it comes to eating and always felt like I was getting it wrong/putting on a show :angry:

I dream of eating egusi soup with a spoon (pounded yam optional). I also can't wait to introduce Pman to American and Caribbean cuisine.

Here's another phrase that threw me: Her say - as in Her say hi or Her say the thing it is finished. This seems to be another gender neutral pronoun like he.

*Footnote for those missing African Magic: YouTube has some Naija movies. They're not as good as African Magic, but they're okay when you're in a pinch. Remember to take a DVD recorder on your next trip. :yes:

Edited by Pman & Soso

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

DON'T EVER take a picture of local children in a village and show them their images. You will be SWARMED by every other kid in the village wanting to see himself in the camera!!

Don't do like my husband did with the soccer balls I brought for his nephews and put them in the back window of your car. You will be inundated with kids asking you to give them to you. You have two, so you can spare one.

Do be prepared to take a swig of the local palm wine if it is offered, but only wet your tongue, don't swallow. There will be more to come and it is VERY intoxicating. Be prepared to have your breath taken away if you swallow. And be prepared to be laughed at with good nature.

I don't know if this is true of Nigeria or other English language countries, but don't be offended by being called Yovo if you are white or light-skinned.

Don't be offended if small children scream and cry when they see you because you are white like a ghost and they've never seen anyone like you before.

If you go to a revenant, be prepared to be targeted by the aguns. Just go along with the locals and don't let him touch you.

Learn how to pour gas in a car from a glass jar through a funnel with a piece of cloth as a filter. Learn to recognize which color is the one you need.

DON'T ever order bush meat because you think you are adventurous and you want to try something local. GAG!!!!!

DON'T turn your nose up at squirrel or rabbit though. Some of the best meals I've had were squirrel and rabbit.

Be prepared to eat crabs with the shell on, and I'm not talking about softshell crabs.

Learn to eat a little fish with your bones.

Be aware that there are fat chickens available for foreigners, but the locals can't understand why you'd want to eat them. Everyone knows that skinny chickens taste better and the bone is the best part.

If you can't bring yourself to wring a chicken's neck and scald the feathers off over a coal fire, at least don't get upset hearing and smelling the household teenagers doing it.

WOW. This has been such fun, but now I'm getting nostalgic.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline
Today I'm reminiscing on the food...

It was really hard to resist the urge to eat the food with 'proper utensils.' I'm proud to say I passed the test, but with little more than a C- at best because of the whole left-handed thing. Also, when I eat, the soup invariably ends up on my hand(s). I could never finish the "small-small" pounded yam and it also had signs of soup touching it when I got through. This never happened to Pman. I'm sure he has an A+ in etiquette. I'm on par with the kids when it comes to eating and always felt like I was getting it wrong/putting on a show :angry:

Did you have to eat pate with gumbo? I forget what the Yoruba call pate, fou fou, maybe? It's the polenta-like mush that is dipped in sauces. It is sometimes made with pounded yams, so that might be what you mean, but it also made with corn flour and other flours. In French speaking countries they call it pate, the French word for paste and/or pasta. It is the consistancy of paste. Usually it is bland, bland, bland. Blander than paste. At least paste has flavor. And gumbo is okra. Now, I'm from Louisiana, so I'm used to eating okra even if gumbo means something else, but our entire goal when preparing okra is to limit the amount of slime it makes to an absolute minimum. There are all sorts of tricks for doing this. In Benin, however, the goal is to get the okra to emit the greatest amount of slime possible. So when you eat pate with gumbo, you are dipping this tasteless, paste-like substance into a slimy substance and bringing the whole thing to your mouth. You know the gumbo is good if the skin of slime does not break as you raise your hand the two feet from the bowl on the floor to your mouth.

This dish usually includes small crabs still in their shell, a green of some sort, all prepared in that thick, red, palm oil. I did my best to eat it, but I just couldn't get much down. Thankfully, his family were very understanding. The sad thing is, his mother helped prepare it. She has since died at a very young age.

Now, red pate is delicious! But I guess we won't be eating much of that anymore. My husband has high blood pressure and "can't seem to get it under control." There's no way he has cut out the salt, but I surely will when he gets here. Which means, no red pate :-(

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.