windchaser_4

Manila Embassy Interview

7,088 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My prayers are with you, Gracy and byron! (F)

Francel

Sorry to take so long with my update, but the Bayview Park Hotel doesn’t have in-room internet access, and the business center downstairs charges outrageous rates.

Shiela and I had our interview on 03/20, and it actually went very good, but we are on AR, which we knew would happen even before the interview.

Shiela waited until her given SLEC appointment date of 03/13, and when she went back on 03/14 to pick up her x-ray, they instead returned her passport to her, and told her to come back to SLEC on 03/21 for an additional test! :o

When she told me that, I panicked, because I wondered how it would affect our interview schedule, So I called St. Luke from home in Los Angeles on 03/15, to try to find out what was going on. The lady I spoke to was very nice, and told me that the doctor wanted to do one more test, but that we should go ahead to the interview because the test would not affect the interview.

So, I flew into Manila on Monday 03/19, and Shiela and I went to the interview on 03/20. The interview experience was relatively painless, and very positive.

The hardest part is waiting for your number to appear. But then, as you see other numbers close to yours pop up on the queue board, you actually begin hoping your number WON’T pop up! :lol:

Of course it does. So off to the pre-screener we went. Shiela was so nervous I thought she was going to pass out. But the pre-screener was very nice, and when she saw that I was there, and she saw how nervous Shiela was, she started to direct most of her questions to me:

How did you meet?

How many times have you come here to visit your fiancee?

She may have had a couple of follow-up questions to my answers, but nothing much more than clarification. She took notes as we “chatted”.

Then she asked for the I-134F, and “my most recent” tax return and W2.. I gave her my 2005 ITR. I also gave her a copy of my 2006 W2, and told her I had not done the 2006 ITR yet. I got the impression that she really would have been satisfied with just the 2005 ITR and W2.

She requested Shiela’s NBI clearance, and birth certificate. Then she asked for photos of the two of us together, and our snail mail cards and letters. Then she told us to go sit back down and wait for the Consul interview.

The Consul interviewer, was also very nice and “chatty”. His questions were:

How did we meet?

Are we both single?

Have we either ever been married?

Did either of us have any kids?

Since neither Shiela or I have ever been married, nor have kids, there weren’t any followup questions to that. Some of you may have more questions asked of you. I could overhear the K3 applicant before us, talking with our Consul interviewer, and she had to answer a lot of questions about her kids, her husband, and the marriage.

Anyway back to Shiela and I. He then examined our photos and snail mail letters. He asked us about some of the photos: when were they taken, where were they taken, who were some of the other people in the photos... it was all very casual. Then he complimented us on how organized everything was.

Then before I could ask if we were approved, he said everything looked good, and he would push everything through so we could get the visa. Then, kinda as an afterthought, he asked about the medical results from St. Luke. We then showed him Shiela’s receipt and told him how she had to go back tomorrow. He said no problem, we’d be on AR until they get the results from St. Lukes, but that shouldn’t take more than a few days, and after that the visa would be sent out.

He was very nice and informative. As I said, everything went very smoothly.

So Shiela went back to SLEC yesterday, had her test, and they told her to come back on Friday for her vaccinations, and that the medical results would then be released to the Embassy.

A few lessons learned, to help you guys who haven’t done it yet:

I don’t think there is a need to show up more than an hour before your scheduled interview appointment time. Once you get through the crowd and make it inside, they try to process all the applicants with the earlier times first. I’ve heard and read of people getting there at 3:00AM for a 7:00AM appointment. That’s not necessary. Even though we arrived for our 7:00AM appointment before some of the 6:30AM appointment applicants, they were processed first, since there appointment time was earlier.

Also, if you can, go to St. Luke’s as soon as possible after you receive your appointment letter. That way you can be sure to have completed any unexpected tests, and have everything done by the time of your interview.

If a complication arises with your medical, DO NOT cancel the interview. They really are two separate things, and if there are problems with the medical, you can still get the interview process out of the way, and they will place you on AR until the medical results are in. If you cancel your interview appointment, it may be months before you can reschedule it, and there is no point.

I'll be sure to post, as soon as we are off AR, and the visa is on it's way.

Thank you all for your support, and help.

That is really informative, thanks for posting it! Me and my son will be doing our medical early, no need for us to leave 3:00 AM then since our appointment is 7:00 AM. Hope you'll be out of AR soon, you'll be both included in our prayers.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a quick question. How are the CO's responding to only 1 visit to the Philippines to see my baby?

7/4/05 - Met

4/16/06 - Went to Visit her in Manila

4/18/06 - Proposed to her at Baloy Beach Resort, Zambales, Subic Bay

4/27/06 - Sent to Nebraska Service Center

5/02/06 - I-129F Filed

10/17/06 - Petition approved in California Service Center and sent to NVC in New Hampshire

12/11/06 - NVC New Hampshire Received Case (FINALLY)!!!!!!

12/12/06 - Called today and got our MNL2006845xxx

12/19/06 - Case Arrive in Manila

02/28/07 - K-1 Packet arrived to my sweety

03/26/07 - CFO Seminar/needs to go back to after interview for sticker

03/29/07 - St Lukes Medical.

04/03/07 - Arrived for second time to be with my sweetheart....

04/11/07 - Interview Date----PASSED with flying colors......St Lukes was a little pain..but we fought em...

05/12/07 - My baby and I got home today POE Seattle Flight home arrived at 11:45AM.

Flight from Manila to Seoul was great, then a 12 hour layover in Seoul, that sucked big time. Flight to Seattle from Seoul was long and the plane was warm too. Once we got to Seattle it was so worth it.

06/08/07 - Got married in Everett WA

07/19/07 - Filed for AOS

10/15/07 - NOA for AOS

12/06/07 - Interview for Green Card approved in Seattle, good for 2 years.

12/18/07 - Green Card in the mail...wooo hoooo...will apply in 2 years for conditions removal.

07/01/08 - We had our first baby..Renae Sofia Reynolds 8 lbs 3oz-C-Section.

Ok.....thanks Patiently waiting....I appreciate it......

This immigration process is stressful..........

Anyone here used the service of Atty Michael Gurfinkel? I don't think I could afford him.......

:-) :-)

Why do you think you would need an attorney?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Phil-Am K1 Information…

I'm almost ready to go final with this...

Pre NOA2

(K1 Introduction) - If you are just starting your K1 visa journey, please check out this information provided by the Department of State (DOS) on the K1 visa experience (CLICK HERE). I found this information very insightful when I first started. Please note that the “How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card” section is INCORRECT because K1 visa beneficiaries may ONLY apply for a SSN card upon arriving into the United States. Please also review VJ's K1 guide (CLICK HERE)

(Case Status) - Once you have filed your case and received your case number, please register on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website using the Case Status Online Tool to receive emailed updates concerning your case (CLICK HERE). NOTE: If you want emailed updates to multiple addresses then you must create multiple customer portfolio accounts. When your petition is approval (NOA2), this tool is of no further use to you until after the beneficiary arrives in the states, get’s married, applies for the Adjustment of Status (AOS), Employment Authorization Document, (EAD), and/or Advance Parole (AP) because this tool does not track the activity being performed at the National Visa Center (NVC) or the Manila Embassy.

Post NOA2

(1). The National Visa Center (NVC) number is within my signature. NVC assigns your case number once your case is approved (NOA2). They also may perform a preliminary background check from what I’ve read then forwards your package/case to the Manila Embassy. This process usually takes anywhere from 14 – 30 days.

(2). The Manila Embassy (USE) Packet 4, the phone number, a visa interview testimony, along with a sample Appointment Letter are within my signature block. NOTE: Packet 4 can be acquired from the Manila Embassy website which gives directions on what documents are required by the beneficiary for the visa interview. Starting 01 November 2006, ALL nonimmigrant visa applicants must use the online Electronic Visa Application Form (EVAF) to complete the DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application). To date, only the DS-156 has the barcode (on the first and last page) and is the ONLY form available online at http://evisaforms.state.gov. However, the USE is now including the form DS-156 with the barcodes as part of Packet 4. You may complete the DS-156K (Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application), and the DS-157 (Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application) (The bank validates DS-157 form when you pay the visa application fee. The Packet 4 that is available in my signature is modified to read that the DS-157 is validated by the banks upon payment of the visa application fee. Unfortunately, the Packet 4 issued by the USE INCORRECTLY states that the DS-156 is validated by the banks upon paying the visa application fee) and the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) via the computer, type-writer, or handwritten. See the Most Frequently Asked Questions for the K1 visa forms (CLICK HERE). If you need to call the USE, dial 0 for the operator, and ask for the Immigrant Visa Unit. The average interview appointment is assigned approximately 100 – 150 days from the receipt of your package from the NVC. Beneficiaries are now sent a letter of receipt (CLICK HERE) (Thx PW and GaryC) accompanied by a document preparation letter (CLICK HERE) (Thx PW and GaryC) from the USE once their physical files are received by the USE. However, this is NOT Packet 3 because the USE ONLY issues Packet 4, and the letter of receipt is not always sent to the beneficiaries. Effective 01 March 2007, cellphones and other electronic devices will not be permitted into the US Embassy and applicants who bring such devices will be denied entry. Be advised once the beneficiary reaches the pre-screeners, the majority of them are very direct, rude, and mean, so don't be alarmed or discouraged by them. Please review this instructional visa interview information (CLICK HERE) (Thx Sillygirl).

(3).The Department of State (DOS) number is within my signature. After your case is approved (NOA2) and reaches the Manila Embassy, you may call DOS instead on the Manila Embassy to obtain status of your case and make inquiries concerning your interview date. NOTE: DOS has no direct participation in the K1 process.

(4). The Visa Interview Appointments website is within my signature (the beneficiary's interview appointment and medical exam will be scheduled by the USE). NOTE: Please do NOT press enter after the case number is entered because that will not yield a result. Please click on the "Check Appointment" tab. If the appointments have been scheduled, the following will be available: Case Number, Visa Classification, St. Luke’s appointment Date, and Embassy Appointment Date, but if the appointments are NOT scheduled yet, the result will be "Case Number Not Found on Appointment List."

(5). St. Luke’s Extension Clinic (SLEC) information is within my signature. SLEC is where the beneficiary goes to take the medical exam and vaccination. The process takes two days: Day 1 is the medical exam (the beneficiary's passport will be taken and sent to the USE along with the medical exam results) and; Day 2 is the vaccination (the beneficiary will be given the x-ray film and the vaccination worksheet/record). NOTE: If the Manila Embassy does not mail the beneficiary the K1 Visa Packet 4 and the Appointment Letter, then call SLEC in order to pick them up at SLEC and take a copy of the NOA2, a copy of the NVC letter (a.k.a. Bureau of Consular Affairs (BCA) letter) (which should have the beneficiary's Manila case number on it), and a print-out of the scheduled appointment dates from the Visa Interview Appointments website. Be advised, the beneficiary's medical exam will be scheduled one week before the visa interview by the USE. Per the Manila Embassy Thread, we recommend that the beneficiary takes the medical exam anywhere from 2 weeks to a month before the interview to ensure the results are available for the Consular Officer and to prepare in the unfortunate event of unfavorable medical results. If the medical exam is taken anytime over a month before the visa interview, there is a risk that the results could be invalid, which means the beneficiary will have to take another medical exam before the visa can be approved. The beneficiary may reschedule the medical exam appointment with SLEC after the medical exam and visa interview dates are assigned by calling SLEC. Please don't forget to bring your passport, appointment letter (if received), passport photos (the size of the photos should be 2 inches by 2 inches [see Packet 4, page 8]), and the medical exam fee to your appointment. The beneficiary also needs to have the sponsors contact information (address, phone number, and ssn #) for the SLEC forms.

(6). The DELBROS website is within my signature. DELBROS is the company responsible for delivering the beneficiary’s Visa and POE information. The DELBROS delivery fee is paid subsequent to the beneficiary’s visa interview at the Manila Embassy. Per the Manila Embassy website, the current delivery fee/time is as follows:

* Metro Manila Areas, 135 Philippine Pesos, Delivered one (1) to three (3) business days after release of visaed passport to the courier

* Provincial Key Cities (ex. Cebu City, Davao City, etc.) 165 Philippine Pesos; Delivered three (3) to five (5) business days after release of visaed passport to the courier

* Outside Provincial Key Cities, (ex. Capiz, Leyte, Bukidnon, etc.), Cost depends on area/location, Delivered five (5) to seven (7) business days after release of visaed passport to the courier

NOTE: Per the DELBROS staff, the Manila Embassy can take as much as three (3) business days to release the visa and POE package, which is NOT included in the deliver times above. You may also call the Manila Embassy, dial 0 for the operator, and ask for Delbros, after the visa is approve, to acquire about the status of your visa delivery.

(7). Beneficiaries are required to attend a CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar that are held in Manila and Cebu, whichever is more convenient, before traveling abroad (the corresponding links within my signature). Attending the CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar is a Philippine government requirement which states, "Per Republic Act 8239 and Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Order 28-94, Filipinos proceeding abroad as fiancé(e)s and spouses of foreign nationals are required to attend the CFO's guidance and counseling programs... " For more info (CLICK HERE). NOTE: The CFO Guidance and Couseling Seminar is not stated as a requirement within the Packet 4 instructions. However, after the visa is approved, instructions on attending the CFO Guidance and Counseling seminar are included in the visa and Port of Entry (POE) package received by the beneficiary. If the beneficiary takes the seminar before receiving the visa, then the beneficiary will have to return to the CFO in order to receive the CFO sticker anytime after the visa is received. Travel abroad is prohibited without the CFO sticker within the beneficiary's passport (the visa is within the passport). Please check out this instructional information on the PRISM Guidance and Counceling Seminar experience (CLICK HERE) (Thx Sillygirl).

(8). The I-94 Arrival / Departure Record form is within my signature. Foreigners (beneficiaries) complete the I-94 and the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer stamps the applicant’s visa and the arrival and departure portions of the I-94 at the Port of Entry (POE) when entering the States. The CBP Officer will keep the arrival portion and staple the departure portion of the I-94 to your visa where they stamped the beneficiaries arrival date. You will need this for the Adjustment of Status process. NOTE: Even though it’s simple, I have supplied this so you will know what it looks like and what is required to be filled out.

FINAL NOTE: The red text indicates the recent updates/chages. Please let me know if there are any suggestions. I have also correlated the numbers above to my signature below.

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

I have a quick question. How are the CO's responding to only 1 visit to the Philippines to see my baby?

no problem with that coz my hubby visited me in d philippines once. Have her prepared all the proof of ur relationship that would be ok..goodluck!

[/center]

AOS/EAD APPLICATION

Got my SSN

had my immunization info transferred in I-693a thank God!

May 11, 2007-AOS mailed

May 13, 2007- item was delivered in CHICAGO IL

May 16, 2007- AOS/EAD NOA recieved

June 2, 2007- Biometrics Appointment Date

June 21,2007-AOS transferred to California Service Center

July 10, 2007-I-485 Card production Ordered

July 11, 2007-Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

July 13, 2007-Approval notice sent- I-485

July 19, 2007- Green Card Arrived! Wooohooo!

July 24, 2007- I passed my driving written test!

August 22, 2007 Passed my road test and started my work!

April 2009- Removing Conditions Applied

September 11 -got my 10 Year green card! yahooo!

December 2010- Apply for Citizenship

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anyone here used the service of Atty Michael Gurfinkel? I don't think I could afford him.......

I used an attorney aka paid his "Country Club Dues!" lol................... It is helpful to use an attorney, but basically all they do is review the documents that you complete, offer guidance and in the event that you have a problem they will eliminate the obstacles. They are not cheap, that is a fact.

I used an attorney aka paid his "Country Club Dues!" lol................... It is helpful to use an attorney, but basically all they do is review the documents that you complete, offer guidance and in the event that you have a problem they will eliminate the obstacles. They are not cheap, that is a fact.

Except for their file is already at the embassy. That's why I asked why they thought they needed an attorney. I actually have contact information for a US immigration attorney who has offices in Manila. I don't expect any problems with Sheryl's visa. But I wanted to have someone to get all over the consulate if we had any snags.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Timeline

It's 6:40 am,23 March- Manila time, Good luck "iya" and "boch"!!

July 17 2006 Sent I-129F to TSC

July 19 2006 packet received by TSC

July 27 2006 case received at CSC

July 28 2006 touched (to process/send NOA1)

Aug 01 2006 check cashed

Aug 05 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Oct 03 2006 Touched (RFE sent)

Oct 10 2006 RFE received and responded to

Oct 17 2006 Touched (CSC reply to RFE response)

Nov 06 2006 NOA2

Nov 21 2006 NVC sent to Manila

Blah

Blur

Drone

March 27 2007 Interview

April 02 2007 Visa delivered

April 05 2007 Happiness delivered

April 06 2007 First day of the rest of our lives

"There they go! I must hurry and catch them, for I am their leader."

Timeline

no problem with that coz my hubby visited me in d philippines once. Have her prepared all the proof of ur relationship that would be ok..goodluck!

Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate it.

7/4/05 - Met

5/02/06 - I-129F Filed

10/17/06 - Petition approved in California Service Center and sent to NVC in New Hampshire

04/11/07 - Interview Date----PASSED with flying colors......St Lukes was a little pain..but we fought em...

05/12/07 - My baby and I got home today POE Seattle Flight home arrived at 11:45AM.

Flight from Manila to Seoul was great, then a 12 hour layover in Seoul, that sucked big time. Flight to Seattle from Seoul was long and the plane was warm too. Once we got to Seattle it was so worth it.

07/19/07 - Filed for AOS

10/15/07 - NOA for AOS

12/18/07 - Green Card in the mail...wooo hoooo...will apply in 2 years for conditions removal.

Timeline
Sorry to take so long with my update, but the Bayview Park Hotel doesn’t have in-room internet access, and the business center downstairs charges outrageous rates.

Shiela and I had our interview on 03/20, and it actually went very good, but we are on AR, which we knew would happen even before the interview.....

Thank you all for your support, and help.

That is really informative, thanks for posting it! Me and my son will be doing our medical early, no need for us to leave 3:00 AM then since our appointment is 7:00 AM. Hope you'll be out of AR soon, you'll be both included in our prayers.

You can also go to St. Luke's in the afternoon, others were there as early as 8am and at 6pm they were still there and were next to me on the line when we had the PE/ME. Also don't forget to bring with you snacks, lots of it, since you will be with your son and you dont want to get hungry esp the baby ( other babies were throwing tantrums for waiting so long and others maybe were getting hungry and sleepy) you will need a total of 3 visa photos not passport photos.

Thanks again Marivic! Yeah i'll make sure our yaya wont forget to bring the snacks<lots of it> lol. Going there in the afternoon is a good idea cuz its hard to be chasing my son all day long :devil:

Timeline

Hi! I didnt use the service of Atty Michael Gurfinkel but I know for a fact that his a really good immigration lawyer. And he charge like 7x more than the average immigration lawyer.

Timeline

I asked my baby if there was anything in her packet about a CFO seminar and she said "no". Does she have to go? I want to make sure she gets it done if she has too. She is doing a K-1.

7/4/05 - Met

5/02/06 - I-129F Filed

07/19/07 - Filed for AOS

10/15/07 - NOA for AOS

Actually, I think they must have heard me, cuz i just looked and the ds-156k is there now....no worries :)

Hello there,

How's everything??we got the same scheduled for our appointment..Love to meet you guys..

That would be fun to meet up. We would like to get her medical done early if possible...depending on whether Mirasol gets her appointment letter in time....but for sure the date of the interview. Will both of you be there at the interview? Im flying into Manila a little early for the interview. Are you local to Manila or travelling too? You can PM us with more details if you like.

Scott and Mirasol

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

Timeline

Except for their file is already at the embassy. That's why I asked why they thought they needed an attorney. I actually have contact information for a US immigration attorney who has offices in Manila. I don't expect any problems with Sheryl's visa. But I wanted to have someone to get all over the consulate if we had any snags.

Dean, I hope that everything goes well for you guys at the interview. The immigration attorney we are using is handling the AOS also. He has an office in US and in Manila also. His name is Tod Schlosser.

Timeline

I have a successful CR1 interview yesterday. =)

FORM I-130

7/14/06 - sent

8/1/06 - touched

8/5/06 - NOA1

8/8/06 - touched

9/25/06 - touched

9/26/06 - approved

***NVC***

10/6/06 - case number assigned MNL20067791xx

10/23/06 - DS 3032 Choice of Agent and AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/27/06 - emailed Choice of Agent

10/30/06 - DS 3032 and AOS Fee Bill received through snail mail

10/31/06 - send out the DS 3032 and AOS Bill

11/1/06 - received email from NVC accepted the Choice of Agent

11/6/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated

11/17/06 - IV Fee and AOS Received

11/18/06 - IV Check Send

11/20/06 - IV Check Delivered

11/20/06 - AOS Send to NVC

12/2/06 - Send the DS-230 Part I and II

12/6/06 - NVC received the documents

12/21/06 - Process at NVC Completed

02/13/07 - File left NVC to MNL Embassy

03/22/07 - CR1 Interview....on AR

04/16/07 - Still on AR

05/2/07 - Visa Released

05/4/07 - Visa in Hand after 5 weeks on AR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.