trailmix

NVC now requiring photocopies as well? DS-230

64 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

davejaz pointed this out in another thread but I thought it was worth mentioning, maybe it's nothing new to a lot of you but I don't remember seeing this before:

I feel so stupid but... The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit the following original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity). In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents. Does this mean we have to send duplicates? The first and second statement sound redundant to me :P

So apparently NVC's photocopier is on the blitz and they now want a photocopy of everything submitted with the DS-230 as well?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

davejaz pointed this out in another thread but I thought it was worth mentioning, maybe it's nothing new to a lot of you but I don't remember seeing this before:

I feel so stupid but... The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit the following original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity). In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents. Does this mean we have to send duplicates? The first and second statement sound redundant to me :P

So apparently NVC's photocopier is on the blitz and they now want a photocopy of everything submitted with the DS-230 as well?

Usually, it is applicable for visa interview. When the visa applicant goes for the interview, he/she needs to take original and one photocopy of original. The Embassy usually keeps the photocopy and returns the originals, but they may choose to keep originals as well. But if the visa applicant needs to submit all documents to NVC, he/she should follow what NVC instructs.

Edited by simple_male

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Timeline
Usually, it is applicable for visa interview. When the visa applicant goes for the interview, he/she needs to take original and one photocopy of original. The Embassy usually keeps the photocopy and returns the originals, but they may choose to keep originals as well. But if the visa applicant needs to submit all documents to NVC, he/she should follow what NVC instructs.

Yes, but I'm not talking about Standard processing or the Embassy/consulate. This is new on the DS-230 instructions site for consulates that have Appointment processing:

Appointment NVC Processing

Document Requirements

The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit the following original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity). In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It sounds like the NVC and/or embassy are trying to save money on copies and paper. :rolleyes:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

HuH? :huh: :huh:

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all for you input. Should I take it that I should indeed send duplicates (one original or cerified and one photocopy) of the documents to NVC, per website request or I am still totally reading it wrong?

K3

04/21/07 Married to the love of my life in Manila

05/09/07 I-130 Sent at 2:00 pm to Vermont Service Center

06/08/07 I-130 Received back and resent at 11:49 am to Vermont Service Center *previously rejected*

06/25/07 NOA1 Received!!!

06/27/07 I-129F Sent at 2:25 PM to Chicago Lockbox

07/07/07 NOA1 Received!!!

07/30/07 I-129F Transferred to VSC (Snail mail notice says as of 7/24)

08/28/07 I-130 Approved!!! (notification by email from CRIS)

09/10/07 I-129F Touched

09/11/07 I-129F Transferred and pending at VSC

12/14/07 I-129F Approved?!

12/21/07 I-129F Sent to USEM from NVC

01/08/08 I-129F Received by USEM

02/28/08 St. Luke's Medical @ 7:00 am -- APPROVED!!

03/06/08 K3 Interview @ 7:30 am -- APPROVED!!

Our Timeline

268.gif

Timeline
Thank you all for you input. Should I take it that I should indeed send duplicates (one original or cerified and one photocopy) of the documents to NVC, per website request or I am still totally reading it wrong?

No, you are reading it right dave. Looks like they now require you to photocopy each original/certified document and send it in as well.

As Diana mentioned, guess they are going to save some of their own paper now!

Maybe this will speed things up as they won't be photocopying :hehe:

Edited by trailmix

I don't get it...

From my understanding.. I know we have to submit Original Docs to NVC..

Are they asking us to photo copy all docs as well and sent it as well along with the Original Docs?

Correct me If I'm wrong..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

Timeline

Alright, silly and redunant as it seems, I will follow instructions per NVC. I will have an original AND photocopy of each document requested sent to them with the other info..(save for the passport) can't send the original there ;)

K3

06/08/07 I-130 Received back and resent at 11:49 am to Vermont Service Center *previously rejected*

09/10/07 I-129F Touched

Our Timeline

268.gif

Yes, but I'm not talking about Standard processing or the Embassy/consulate. This is new on the DS-230 instructions site for consulates that have Appointment processing:

Appointment NVC Processing

Document Requirements

The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit the following original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity). In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents.

Ok, am glad we are learning this before sending our DS-230 back to the NVC. Hopefully dis will mean that the USE will start giving back the Original Doc's back to the beneficiaries at the interviews. Thank you "ROSERICK" for pointing this out to me.

Edited by djturbo

I-130 PETITION

May-11-07 Mailed I-130 to CSC

Sept-14-07 I-130 APPROVED!!!!..after 100 days!

NVC Process

Sept-24-07 NVC rec'd case/assigned number

Jan-04-08 NVC CASE COMPLETE

USEM

Feb-14-2008 INTERVIEW IN USEManila APPROVED!!!

Feb-19-2008 Visa in HAND!! Wohoo!!!

IN TEXAS

Feb-28-2008 POE DFW

Mar-24-2008 Receive Green Card on Mail..

REMOVING CONDITIONS NOV..

Jan-11-2010 Mailed I-175 to VSC

Alright, silly and redunant as it seems, I will follow instructions per NVC. I will have an original AND photocopy of each document requested sent to them with the other info..(save for the passport) can't send the original there ;)

Do we have to Photocopy and duplicate the DS230 forms as well? Or just the supporting documents?

Your Welcome DJturbo.. :thumbs:

IR-1 Visa for Wife

The other option for us still waiting to receive our DS-230 packet is simply that, let's wait to see what the instructions say and do just that. Making copies is no problems for us here in the States am sure. Gud luck guys!

ROSERICK, LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET YOUR DS-230 TODAY, OK!!! :thumbs:

I-130 PETITION

May-11-07 Mailed I-130 to CSC

Sept-14-07 I-130 APPROVED!!!!..after 100 days!

NVC Process

Sept-24-07 NVC rec'd case/assigned number

Jan-04-08 NVC CASE COMPLETE

USEM

Feb-14-2008 INTERVIEW IN USEManila APPROVED!!!

Feb-19-2008 Visa in HAND!! Wohoo!!!

IN TEXAS

Feb-28-2008 POE DFW

Mar-24-2008 Receive Green Card on Mail..

REMOVING CONDITIONS NOV..

Jan-11-2010 Mailed I-175 to VSC

The other option for us still waiting to receive our DS-230 packet is simply that, let's wait to see what the instructions say and do just that. Making copies is no problems for us here in the States am sure. Gud luck guys!

ROSERICK, LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET YOUR DS-230 TODAY, OK!!! :thumbs:

Surely.. :-)

Your right DJturbo.. We should still follow what's on the Packets.. If packet info is different from the website..

:idea: We should call NVC live operator to get this thing straightened out..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

Timeline

Yes, ideally everyone will follow the instructions on the DS-230 package. I was just thinking that this might be an important piece of info for people who have already checked the DS-230 application processing site and think they have everything in order and don't know they now need to send photocopies as well.

Aside from all that - the DS-230 package just directs you to the web page for details anyway.

ds230-copy.jpg

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Do we have to Photocopy and duplicate the DS230 forms as well? Or just the supporting documents?

Your Welcome DJturbo.. :thumbs:

No Roserick,

Per the website, you need only send photo copies of the supporting documents. The original DS-230 is fine. Although if you're an organizational freak like me you might make a copy of it just in case :thumbs:

K3

09/10/07 I-129F Touched

Our Timeline

268.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.