Spiderette

Unsuccessful biometric walk-in

33 posts in this topic

I tired to have my biometrics done today, 2 weeks before my official appointment and they said they wouldn’t do it because they only take walk-ins for people who have already missed their appointment.

I won’t elaborate on the idiocy of this (if I MISSED my appointment and didn’t bother to reschedule they would have done it today… :rolleyes: .) but I’ll be patient and go in 2 weeks time. :reading:

Sept 10, 2001... Arrived in US (J1)

Sept 2002... AOS (J1 to F1)

March 2003...AOS Approved

May 2003... Flew to SA. Reapplied for F1. RFE and Finally Approved. 2 year F1 visa in Passport.

Jan 21 2004... Married in Chicago

Aug 2004... Applied for AOS, Petition for spouse and EAD

Feb 2005... Joshua, our little cutie pie is born on SuperBowl Sunday

May 2005... EAD Approved

Dec 17 2005... AOS & Petition approved (2 year green-card received)

Aug 4 2007... Mailed in I-751 = $275 (remove conditions)

Aug 31 2007... Everything returned, filed too early, wrong fee

Sept 17 2007 Refiled to NSC

Sept 18 2007... Delivered by DHL to NSC

Oct 10 2007... Received at CSC

Oct 15 2007... Check cashed, transfered to CSC

Oct 15 2007... Received 1st notice with application number and 1 year extension. Notice Dated 9/19/07

Nov 1 2007... tried walk-in biometrics, refused

Nov 8 2007...Biometrics completed. Staff at Naperville ASC were great!

Nov 9 2007... Last touch

March 7 2008... Card production ordered!!!!!!!! 5 months, 2 weeks and 5 days

March 12 2008... Case Status: Approval notice sent

March 15 2008...Green card received in mail...so done with USCIS done for a few years!!!!!! :)

This is good information though as a lot of people ask about walk-in biometrics.

I tried to do a search about that for our ASC in Charlotte, NC but could not find any. When I went for my appointment, they had a big sign that said they will only take those with appointments that day.

When I was chatting with the lady who was doing the actual prints, she said that they've been slow the past couple of weeks and they would have taken my son the same day as my appointment (even though his was for the following day). She said that they will allow families to get their biometrics done on the same day so as to minimize trips.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

You’re welcome, EAU, this is why I posted about my experience today. Like I said previously the application support center is within walking distance from my house.

For clarification Nia, I didn’t think I’d be “allowed” to jump the queue (why are you so bitter?) I tried it out --- people have been known to be accepted when just walking in for their biometrics if the support-center is not busy, and that is why *I tried* today. (who here wouldn’t do anything they could to move their case along faster???)

Case in point, this particular center DOES accept walk-in’s (but only if a person has MISSED their appointment) so if I missed my appointment, they would have accepted me and done my biometrics today.

Sept 10, 2001... Arrived in US (J1)

Sept 2002... AOS (J1 to F1)

March 2003...AOS Approved

May 2003... Flew to SA. Reapplied for F1. RFE and Finally Approved. 2 year F1 visa in Passport.

Jan 21 2004... Married in Chicago

Aug 2004... Applied for AOS, Petition for spouse and EAD

Feb 2005... Joshua, our little cutie pie is born on SuperBowl Sunday

May 2005... EAD Approved

Dec 17 2005... AOS & Petition approved (2 year green-card received)

Aug 4 2007... Mailed in I-751 = $275 (remove conditions)

Aug 31 2007... Everything returned, filed too early, wrong fee

Sept 17 2007 Refiled to NSC

Sept 18 2007... Delivered by DHL to NSC

Oct 10 2007... Received at CSC

Oct 15 2007... Check cashed, transfered to CSC

Oct 15 2007... Received 1st notice with application number and 1 year extension. Notice Dated 9/19/07

Nov 1 2007... tried walk-in biometrics, refused

Nov 8 2007...Biometrics completed. Staff at Naperville ASC were great!

Nov 9 2007... Last touch

March 7 2008... Card production ordered!!!!!!!! 5 months, 2 weeks and 5 days

March 12 2008... Case Status: Approval notice sent

March 15 2008...Green card received in mail...so done with USCIS done for a few years!!!!!! :)

You’re welcome, EAU, this is why I posted about my experience today. Like I said previously the application support center is within walking distance from my house.

For clarification Nia, I didn’t think I’d be “allowed” to jump the queue (why are you so bitter?) I tried it out --- people have been known to be accepted when just walking in for their biometrics if the support-center is not busy, and that is why *I tried* today. (who here wouldn’t do anything they could to move their case along faster???)

Case in point, this particular center DOES accept walk-in’s (but only if a person has MISSED their appointment) so if I missed my appointment, they would have accepted me and done my biometrics today.

Jenny did a walk in two weeks before her appointment. The service center is several miles away, I happened to be off that day, so we took a chance and they took us. Otherwise, I would have had to take a day off from work. And like you say.....why not try to move your case along.......makes sense to me.

Mark & Jenny

Removal of Conditions

21 August 2007 I-751 sent to TSC

23 August 2007 I-751 received TSC

20 Sept 2007 Check for I-751 & Biometrics cleared bank

22 Sept 2007 Received NOA from CSC. Notice Date: 24 August 2007

28 Sept 2007 Biometrics completed (19 Oct 2007 is the scheduled date for biometrics; we did a walk-in)

26 Nov 2007 10 yr GC approved......no interview

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Texas

CIS Office : Houston

Date Filed : 2008-11-07

NOA Date : 2008-11-22

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-11-28

Bio. Appt. : 2008-12-11 (completed on 2008-12-05 with a "walk in")

Interview Date : 2009-02-09

Approved Date: Waiting on official letter

Oath Ceremony : 2009-03-04 I'M NOW A CITIZEN !!

Filed: Timeline

I am not bitter.... I was just wondering why you thought you could go and have them done before your appointment time.... I can understand that if you were unable to go on the date given you may wish to see if they can be done before or after your given date... I know here in Boston they will not allow you to just walk-in even if you have missed your appointment date...

I have no reason to be bitter I have had my Biometrics done 4 times now in the last 2 1/2 years and next time I need them done will be for Citizenship... sorry if you felt that my question was me being bitter... was not my intent...

Kez

I'm with Kez on this one, and don't understand why people feel they should even try to do walk-in Biometrics. I mean they schedule you for a reason, right? They try to manage their schedule, and set dates for you to come for... hence why they didn't take you, and a valid reason according to me. We are all eager to get our cases moving, but if everyone started doing this, and showing up just as soon as they knew they could, the messy system would turn into a complete super mess and cause further delays down the line.

You've made it this far being patient with USCIS, a little more won't hurt. :thumbs: Think about those people that are in FBI name check for years with no appointments they can jump the line in front of to get their cases moving quicker.

12140.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I see nothing wrong with trying. If you ask, politely, and they say Yes, great! If you ask, politely, and they say No, then ok. No big deal to ask. The worst they can say is , "sorry, too busy, can't accomodate".

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Timeline

I think it was worth a try. At the same biometric facility that you went to, my wife went one week ahead of her scheduled appointment (we were in the Naperville area and said, "Why not try?") and they took us in.

Those that criticize you, for example by writing "What if everyone did that?", are simply blowing hot air. It's my opinion that, if you can gain a legitimate edge and expedite the laborious and drawn-out process, go for it. Those who prefer waiting until their assigned date, fine ---wait.

Edited by spi9959

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seeing as I deal with a local office who does not allow that sort of thing to happen (my appointment was at 11am, I was turned away at 10:30am and told to come back at 10:45am :wacko: ), I must admit a bit of jealousy. It does feel a bit like an attempt to jump the queue, but hey, to each their own. I kinda wish that the walk-in policies were the same across the board though.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

The way I way I see it, if those that work at and/or manage biometric facilities choose to allow a person to "jump the queue", then it's obviously acceptable to them. If it's acceptable to them, it's sure as hell acceptable to me! I do agree that it would be nice if there was consistency in following queues across these facilities.

The way I way I see it, if those that work at and/or manage biometric facilities choose to allow a person to "jump the queue", then it's obviously acceptable to them. If it's acceptable to them, it's sure as hell acceptable to me! I do agree that it would be nice if there was consistency in following queues across these facilities.

as i wrote before, i called 800 official number on your NOAs to ask can i schedule for earlier day - and a guy said that walk-ins are ok on Wednesday, so i did it 19 days before my appointment even if sign on the wall inside said "ONLY BY APPOINTMENT" (but my address change has messed up the case).

My PAST Timelines:

10/2004 - Conditional GC

08/2006 - 10/2007 - Lifting Conditions timeline

10/2007 - 6/26/2009 Citizenship, Los Angeles DO timeline

auBam7.png

CSC i-130 for my Mom

06/30/09 - delivered

07/06/09 - NOA date (rec'd - 07/10) #WAC 09xxx3, touched.

07/08/09 - check cashed, #WAC 09xxx2 (not online)

08/29/09 - APPROVED!!!

NVC

09/14/09 - NVC case # assigned, emails registered

09/17/09 - email AOS bill received and paid online, ds3032 received and returned

09/21/09 - AOS bill status "PAID", FedExed out AOS, 09/24/09 delivered to NVC

09/28/09 - AVR:AOS acknowledged

10/02/09 - 3032 was acknol. by NVC, paid IV Bill online

10/05/09 - emails: 1 pm -RFE for 3032, 3 pm - IV bill, 5 pm - status PAID

10/09/09 - ds230 delivered to NVC at 9am

10/14/09 - AVR: Checklist response was received

10/20/09 - login failed! - between 5 pm and 9 pm PST, at 5 pm it was still working

10/21/09 - case complete! (AVR updated after 10 pm) = total NVC 37 days

10/28/09 - interview date email came at 6.30 pm, no AVR changes yet

10/30/09 - AVR: "Case sent to embassy on Oct 29" = total 4 months from delivery of i130 to USCIS

11/02/09 - Medical

11/20/09 - Interview - PASSED!!!

11/28 - POE: LAX

I'm with Kez on this one, and don't understand why people feel they should even try to do walk-in Biometrics. I mean they schedule you for a reason, right? They try to manage their schedule, and set dates for you to come for... hence why they didn't take you, and a valid reason according to me. We are all eager to get our cases moving, but if everyone started doing this, and showing up just as soon as they knew they could, the messy system would turn into a complete super mess and cause further delays down the line.

You've made it this far being patient with USCIS, a little more won't hurt. :thumbs: Think about those people that are in FBI name check for years with no appointments they can jump the line in front of to get their cases moving quicker.

To be fair to the OP, she doesn't need to consider all the people stuck in FBI name check. Whilst we can all sympathize with those who have to wait extended periods of time to be processed through the system, we should be cheering for those who are getting nearer to approval. There are so many different issues that can lead to delays in processing, and they can't all be attributable to delays in biometrics appointments, IMO.

Although they probably have a reason for scheduling biometrics of applicants, sometimes their scheduling is not so reasonable. Case in point: my and my son's biometrics schedules. We were given two different appointment dates. It meant I had to miss work twice in one week as the appointments were one day apart. I could have dragged my son out of school during my appointment date and had him do a walk-in biometrics. But, I didn't want to do that and risk having him turned away and told to return on his actual appointment date. If I had known for a fact or through somebody's experience, that our ASC would accept walk-ins, then I would have taken my son along with me during my appointment and saved time and a tank of gas.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.