VERY CONFUSED

I voted as a Permanent Resident

21 posts in this topic

Hi Folks:

While preparing my N-400 application, I came across the question regarding if I have ever registered to vote. Here is my story in Brief.

Reasons I registered to vote in error

1- After many visits from local political candidates to my home, I was highly encouraged to participate in the local elections (Including the Mayor himself)

2- I accessed the USCIS public website to confirm if I had the privilege of participating in our local elections and the website said that as a permanent resident of the United States, I have the right “To vote in local elections where United States Citizenship is not required. “

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

3- When I visited my polling place and was very clear with the election officials at my polling place that I was a “Permanent Resident” and NOT a “US Citizen” . They assured me that it was acceptable.

4- I provided my permanent resident card and my driver license to the polling place and I was told that they only needed my driver license to process the registration application.

5- Election officials filled out the entire registration form and handed it to me to sign.

6- After the extensive verbal conversation that I had with the election officials about my legal status in the US, I assumed that what I was signing was an appropriate form.

Actions taken

1- Upon realizing my mistake, I immediately contacted the City Clerk’s and explained to them the misunderstanding that occurred.

2- I officially requested that I be taken off the voter registration list.

3- I filled out a form at the City Clerk’s office for voter registration cancellation.

4- Through my Employee Assistance Program, I requested legal advice from an attorney and I was told that I needed to attach this explanation to clarify why I answered “Yes” on the form N-400 Part 10: A. 2, 3.

5- Wanting to immediately rectify the error, I personally requested an official meeting with the City Clerk. I asked the City Clerk during the meeting how the election officials could have allowed me to register after a very clear conversation explaining my legal status. The City Clerk explained to me that most probably the election officials did not understand the difference between a permanent resident and a city resident and that they filled out the registration form accordingly.

Please advise as of what to do if you think you can help.

I appreciate the advise in advance.

Wow, I can't imagine doing any more than what you already have done :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Was that attorney you've contacted specialized in immigration law? If so, I would do whatever he tells you to do.

I would also inquire with the attorney what the chances are that the N400 application could backfire and bring you in trouble

by openly committing to your mistake of having voted as a LPR.

(BTW, did you actually vote, or did you "only" falsely register to vote?)

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

I actually voted that day. The entire process was like 2 minutes for them to register me and have me voted. As for the attorneys, I am not if I can trust them though. I have this feeling that they are just pulling my leg to get some cash. It is a catch 22 :(

I am leaning towards being honest is the safest way and that INS officers will understand (as human) that it was clearly a mistake and never intended to be against the law. I also can show them that I never voted before when I could have done if I had the bad intentions. My thought was since it was local and the election officials made me do it then how would I have quetioned them? Really confused of what to do yet.

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

What about a notarized statement from the official that said it was ok to vote, saying he mistakenly adviced you and include that.

What about a notarized statement from the official that said it was ok to vote, saying he mistakenly adviced you and include that.

When I contacted the city clerk I explained to her the entire situation and informed her that I am intending to apply for US citizenship. She suggested that I get a copy of the form that I filled out to cancel my registration and she also thought that would be a good idea for me to send her a letter explaining the situation and officially requesting my being taken off the voter list. She said that will show that I initiated the entire process. I have copies of

1-the letter that I sent to the city clerk requesting registration cancellation

2- my origianl registrsration form

3- a copy of the registration cancellation form

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

I think this might be very beneficial to have...

AOS TIMELINE

02/15/2008 - Mailed Package via Overnight

02/18/2008 - Delivered

02/26/08 - Check cashed

02/28/08 - Received 3 noa's in mail : AOS, EAD and AP, Notice Date 02/25/08

03/11/08 - I-485 Transferred to CSC... EAD and AP still not in online system

03/12/08 - Boimetrics

03/22/08 - Touched

03/24/08 - Touched

04/04/08 - Touched

04/22/08 - EAD card production ordered, AP approval notice sent

04/29/08 - EAD Approval Notice Sent

05/02/08 - EAD arrived in mail

05/09/08 - AP touched

05/13/08 - AOS APPROVED!!!!!!

05/14/08 - AP arrived in mail

05/16/08 - Approval notice sent

05/20/08 - Green Card arrived in mail!!!!! Huge sigh of relief...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

They view voting as a non US Citizen to be a serious offence. You will have to mark that down on your N-400 and so they will discuss this with you. Now you obviously didn't try to sneak in votes or anything and clearly it looks like you honestly didn't know at the time that it was unnacceptable. Just tell the IO everything and what you tried to do after you found out. Not sure if you should have a immigration lawyer or not, but yeah this definatly can pose a big problem and have your N-400 rejected...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I assume in the quote, that the poster is suggesting the poll worker(s) that you talked to on election day. If so, I suspect it would be difficult to get something like what is suggested from them. They are typically volunteer, civic minded people, rather than paid government officials. They would probably be mortified that they'd told you something wrong and put you at risk this way.

As another suggestion, you might document the discussion that you had with the City Clerk and ask that he/she sign it as further "proof" of your responsibility and diligence in dealing with the situation. If you keep it concise and non-accusatory (like your posting here) they might be willing to do that, especially since you've already had a productive discussion with them.

Typing it up and asking them to simply assert (by signing) that it represents an accurate record of your discussion with them might help. They might be reluctant if it reflects an admission of guilt on their (poll worker as member of election office process) part, so try to avoid that if possible. Their sensitivity will be (probably) that by admitting fault, they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if your experience causes you further difficulty in your immigration process. Whether this happens (bringing lawsuit) or not, they will be concerned about suggesting their own guilt. If you frame it as only documenting the immediate discussion, they might agree, because you are telling the story and they are simply admitting to hearing it, not agreeing with it.

The point is to provide another bit of evidence to INS that you've been thorough and engaged others (the election officials) for their guidance.

I'm sorry for your experience this way, but admire you desire to participate in an important part of the democratic process.

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

Filed: Timeline
When I contacted the city clerk I explained to her the entire situation and informed her that I am intending to apply for US citizenship. She suggested that I get a copy of the form that I filled out to cancel my registration and she also thought that would be a good idea for me to send her a letter explaining the situation and officially requesting my being taken off the voter list. She said that will show that I initiated the entire process. I have copies of

You voted in a local election. That in itself is no problem, as long as the election was not restricted to US citizens. What did the voting form state? Did you sign it?

Voting

One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens.

From USCIS

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Timeline
..........they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if your experience causes you further difficulty in your immigration process.

"further difficulty" would be quite the euphemism! Deportation is the normal penalty.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

..........they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if your experience causes you further difficulty in your immigration process.

"further difficulty" would be quite the euphemism! Deportation is the normal penalty.

Deportation takes years. "Further difficulty" would first include delays in processing the N-400, *then* denial of the N-400, *then* the beginning of rescission proceedings, *then* rescission hearings including appeals, *then* the beginning of initiation of removal proceedings, *then* removal hearings, *then* an offer of voluntary departure, *then* more removal hearings and appeals, and in two or three years, it may actually include actual removal.

In other words, when they say "further difficulty" there are about a dozen steps between there and actually leaving the country.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

You voted in a local election. That in itself is no problem, as long as the election was not restricted to US citizens. What did the voting form state? Did you sign it?

Voting

One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens.

From USCIS

This is my question too. I mean it sounds as though you explained yourself fully, identified yourself clearly, and they let you vote...do you recall which election/candidates/offices were involved?

Maybe you didn't do anything wrong! Determine that first before going through any more work trying to prove your innocence.

Thanks to all for the guidance and support and speedy processing to all!

Our Visa Journey Timeline

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina I-130

01/20/2009 I-130 Petitions package mailed to Chicago Lockbox (priority mail)
01/31/2009 NOA1's rec'd for both petitions
03/16/2009 Approval notices dated 03/10/09 rec'd in the mail for both petitions (no on-line update)
03/30/2009 NVC DS-3032 packets received by petitioner
03/31/2009 Paid $70 AOS (affadavit of support) fee on-line (one fee for both petitions)
04/10/2009 Marina's parent's e-mailed DS-3032 to NVC for both petitions
04/15/2009 AOS documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
04/21/2009 Rec'd e-mails from NVC for approval for Marina to be designated agent for both
04/25/2009 Paid $400 IV (immigrant visa) fee on-line for each petition ($800 total for both parents)
06/04/2009 DS-230 & supporting documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
06/22/2009 Both cases completed at NVC (per automated phone line message on 06/30/09)
07/10/2009 Interview notification e-mail received; both interviews scheduled for 08/11/09
08/11/2009 Interview(s) completed for both parents in Bucharest; visas in hand!
12/21/2009 Nicolai & Galina arrived in the United States as scheduled! (Chicago O'Hare)

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina N-400

10/21/2014 N-400 applications mailed to Phoenix Lockbox (priority mail)

11/03/2014 NOA1's received for both

11/07/2014 Biometrics letters received for both

11/17/2014 Biometrics completed for both

11/22/2014 Received "yellow letter" for both

01/06/2015 Received "in-line" e-mail for both

01/12/2015 Received interview letter for both (scheduled for 2/10/15)

02/10/2015 Interviews passed for both; waiting for oath ceremony date(s)

03/03/2015 Oath Ceremony in Chicago; two new US Citizens!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.