jsnearline

Civics Test

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

A number of the questions on the naturalization exam say something like:

"Name one right or freedom..."

"Name two wars fought in..."

In our practice sessions, my wife keeps giving more than the required number of answers. For example, if the question asks for two and she answers with three or more, will she get the question right or will they consider it wrong for not giving the number of answers required?

I ask because the questions have emphasis on the number, going so far as to underline it.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

In our practice sessions, my wife keeps giving more than the required number of answers. For example, if the question asks for two and she answers with three or more, will she get the question right or will they consider it wrong for not giving the number of answers required?

I ask because the questions have emphasis on the number, going so far as to underline it.

She needs to only give how many answers the question says. Otherwise, the officer may think she doesn't understand the question and wonder whether she knows her English!! So definitely, only give the number of answers stated in the question to be safe.

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Timeline

That was my thought too, that in trying to show she knows all the possible answers, she may get the IO thinking her English isn't proficient enough. She could pass the civics, but fail the English.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also, warn her about multiple choice when she can only select 1 answer and 2 answers are actually right. The correct answer, when there are 2 correct answers, is the one which exactly pertains to the question. That sounds logical, but during the test, it isn't so logical. There will be key words in the question and key words in the answer which match like if the question is about "seeing" something and there are 2 answers, 1 about seeing and 1 about hearing, but both are right, pick the one about "seeing." A lot of people get hung up when there are 2 right answers and they wonder which to pick, you have to look very carefully at the key words in the question and answer and which ever creates a match, that is the correct answer. If she looks for the key words that match, she won't say to herself during the test, "but both are correct," instead she'll begin matching the meaning of the key words in the question and answer to find a match.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering the same thing too..."Is it ok to give more than one answer, even though all of the answers are right?"....

"Why should we limit ourselves to only one answer if we know more?", is my line of thinking....It goes to show that we "know more than the basic limited answer" and is "better safe than sorry that we cover all answers".....

What do you think, should I just "stick by the boring rules of limits", and give them the one (or another specified number) of answers? Or should I just "cover all of my basis" here and just tell say all the answers that I know of regardless of question?

As you can see, I never did well on multiple-choice type tests anyways, as I can't decide on only one answer to pick from (lol..other than "all of the above")...Now if you tell me to write an essay....no problem....Why can't we have an essay-like test of immigration instead of multiple choice format?

I am interested in American history, would like to learn more about it (lol..as if I didn't learn enough in elementary school, high school, and college/university, and through pop culture already...), and can go on and on talking about it...Surely the USCIS would be impressed with such a knowledgable feat?...Just kidding....They aren't impressed with anything...other than money (they really want the $670 citizenship application fee), of course....

Ant (One Answer or More Answers?....)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

I remember taking a test in grade school that said READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING. Well, one of the instructions was to answer question 3 and turn the test in. I didn't read that far down, so I answered all the questions. Even though I got all the questions right, I ended up failing the test because I didn't follow the directions properly.

I just want to make sure she doesn't have a "gotcha moment" at the interview.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Jsnearline and Everyone,

Understandable.....about "reading all the instructions before starting". Lol..the same thing happend to my husband too in high school (but that's another story). Sorry though, that you failed that test because of that "technical detail". Lol...if I were the teacher, I would have passed you, as you did answer question 3..and heck, even given you bonus marks for answering more than you should have.....Oh well, I'm not the teacher, and regardless, glad that you learned something from that experience....

On that note, I agree that your wife shouldn't have to go through the same "gotcha moment" during her Citizenship test.

So before she (or anyone else) does the test, they should find out specifically if "only one answer, only two answers, or more answers, can be given to answer the question".

Does the USCIS have a clear and definite answer (lol..an answer for an answer...now that's funny...) as to what answer(s) to give for citizenship tests? If so, where is such an answer to an answer?......

I'm confused...how should I or anyone answer..... :wacko: ?

Anyone else have the answer?

Ant (answered-out)

I remember taking a test in grade school that said READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING. Well, one of the instructions was to answer question 3 and turn the test in. I didn't read that far down, so I answered all the questions. Even though I got all the questions right, I ended up failing the test because I didn't follow the directions properly.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Jsnearline and Everyone,

Understandable.....about "reading all the instructions before starting". Lol..the same thing happend to my husband too in high school (but that's another story). Sorry though, that you failed that test because of that "technical detail". Lol...if I were the teacher, I would have passed you, as you did answer question 3..and heck, even given you bonus marks for answering more than you should have.....Oh well, I'm not the teacher, and regardless, glad that you learned something from that experience....

On that note, I agree that your wife shouldn't have to go through the same "gotcha moment" during her Citizenship test.

So before she (or anyone else) does the test, they should find out specifically if "only one answer, only two answers, or more answers, can be given to answer the question".

Does the USCIS have a clear and definite answer (lol..an answer for an answer...now that's funny...) as to what answer(s) to give for citizenship tests? If so, where is such an answer to an answer?......

I'm confused...how should I or anyone answer..... :wacko: ?

Anyone else have the answer?

Ant (answered-out)

Personally, i think you should only give one answer if asked for one instead of giving all the answers to show you know them all. With the civic having a total of 10 questions, there is no way will will pick more than 4 questions with multiple answers. Again you can miss up 4 questions and still pass the test. Remember these officers might not know all that about the civic test. Just keep it simple. They say on the study booklet this" Although USCIS is aware that there may be additional correct answers to the 100 civics questions, applicants are encouraged to respond to the civic questions using the answers provided...." My interpretation, the officers might not know as much as the applicants. my opinion on answering the questions at the interview, keep it simple...

Good luck!!

poisontee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Timeline San Antonio field office

06/07/2009 - Sent Application via USPS certified mail

06/10/2009- Delivered.

06/12/2009 - Check Cashed

06/19/2009 - Received NOA, PD 6/10, ND 6/11

06/22/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07/02/2009 - Biometrics Appointment. Done! 7/2/09

07/13/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment

08/24/2009 - Interview Date

10/13/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

10/22/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date. US Citizen!!

10/26/2009 - Mailed in Application for Passport

11/06/2009 - Passport Received!!!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my case during my interviewed i only gave one answered in every question, I only answered the first one based in the reviewer then the IO wrote down my answered on the corrected column. Here are the questions that IO asked me.

1. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them? citizen 18 and older can vote

2. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States? communism

3. What is one reason colonists came to America? freedom

4. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment? speech

5. Who is in charge of the executive branch? The president

6. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President? The vice president

Just gve one answer and if the IO wasn't satisfied then give all.

I-130 Petition for alien relative (mom)

01/08/2010 - Mailed I-130 form via express mail

01/11/2010 - Received Application and signed by JPM

01/19/2010 - Received NOA1

03/10/2010 - Received approval notice via e-mail

03/15/2010 - Received NOA2 via mail

NVC

03/16/2010 - case no. assigned and registered both my mom and my e-mail addresses

03/18/2010 - Received DS-3032 form and AOS fee bill from NVC via e-mail

03/18/2010 - PAID AOS fee

03/20/2010 - e-mailed signed DS-3032 to NVC

03/23/2010 - Mailed I-864 packet via USPS

03/25/2010 - NVC received DS 3032 thru e-mail

03/26/2010 - NVC received I-864 packet

03/31/2010 - PAID IV Bill online

04/10/2010 - Received RFE, missing DS-230 and entire documents..... still waiting for my mom to send me her stuff. omg!

04/22/2010 - Mailed DS 230 packet via USPS Priority Mail.... huh! finally I received my mom's docs.

04/26/2010 - NVC received DS 230 packet

05/07/2010 - Sign-in FAILED....great!

05/10/2010 - Talked to the NVC operator and said "CASE COMPLETED" on 05/10/2010

05/13/2010 - Received Interview Appt. on 06/02/2010 via e-mail

05/17/2010 - Medical Exam

06/02/2010 - Interview Appointment PASSED

06/23/2010 - Returned her passport to Singapore Embassy for issuance of visa

06/30/2010 - Visa Received... Yehey!!

09/16/2010 - Arrived in Hawaii

10/02/2010 - Received Welcome Notice

10/12/2010 - Applied for SS #

10/13/2010 - Received 10 years permanent card

10/18/2010 - Received ss card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Never read the job requirements to become an IO, but apparently being a certified teacher is not one of them, and also with my wife's IO, proficiency in the English language is also not a requirement. Wife had great difficulty in understanding her, but you have to be tactful and play it by ear, and have to keep in mind that IO has the power of life or death over you. Also depends on how rushed your IO is, sure if you give more than one answer, IO will tell you he/she is satisfied and will go on to the next question. But really good to know the questions so you have an idea what is being asked.

When we say good luck at your interview, that means not running into a traffic jam and getting a reasonable IO, those factors you have no control over and that requires good luck.

Filed: Country: Austria
Timeline
When we say good luck at your interview, that means not running into a traffic jam and getting a reasonable IO, those factors you have no control over and that requires good luck.

I couldn't agree more - the traffic is crazy in Atlanta and I really have to keep my fingers crossed that there will be no jam on my interview day.

And as for the reasonable IO: we all hope for getting one.

About the test questions - I also think one should give only the number of answers requested; no more, no less.

Also, warn her about multiple choice when she can only select 1 answer and 2 answers are actually right. The correct answer, when there are 2 correct answers, is the one which exactly pertains to the question. That sounds logical, but during the test, it isn't so logical. There will be key words in the question and key words in the answer which match like if the question is about "seeing" something and there are 2 answers, 1 about seeing and 1 about hearing, but both are right, pick the one about "seeing." A lot of people get hung up when there are 2 right answers and they wonder which to pick, you have to look very carefully at the key words in the question and answer and which ever creates a match, that is the correct answer. If she looks for the key words that match, she won't say to herself during the test, "but both are correct," instead she'll begin matching the meaning of the key words in the question and answer to find a match.

That might be relevant advice if the civics test were a multiple choice test. But it's not. It's given orally. They ask the question, and you state the answer. You don't get to choose one.

Some of the study guides are presented in multiple choice format, but that's not the way the actual exam is given.

It's probably good for anyone studying the exam to practice in the way the actual exam will be given; have someone read the questions, and let the student say the correct answer.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This maybe a dumb and nit-picky question, but for those questions that have multiple answers but don't specify in the question to give a certain number of responses, do you chose one or say them all: example

why did the colonist fight the British? 1 - because of hight taxes (taxation w/out rep) 2- because the British army stayed in their houses, 3 - because they didn't have self-government.

also, has anyone had problems with paraphrasing. I am not good at memorizing word for word and regurgitating, I am better at understanding and then answering accordingly. So Do I need to memorize the words or just repeat the gist of the answer?

Mailed N-400 March 6th via priority certified mail and Rec'd 9th (confirmation by USPS)

NOA rec'd: 3/19/2009 (date 3/16/2009, priority 3/9/2009)

Biometrics rec'd 3/26/2009, appt 4/9/2009

IL: 5/22/09

ID: 07/06/2009

Oath: 07/16/2009

SSN updated: 7/16/2009 (not received yet)

Passport rec'd: 8/15/2009(nat. certif not rec'd yet)

Timeline
This maybe a dumb and nit-picky question, but for those questions that have multiple answers but don't specify in the question to give a certain number of responses, do you chose one or say them all: example

why did the colonist fight the British? 1 - because of hight taxes (taxation w/out rep) 2- because the British army stayed in their houses, 3 - because they didn't have self-government.

also, has anyone had problems with paraphrasing. I am not good at memorizing word for word and regurgitating, I am better at understanding and then answering accordingly. So Do I need to memorize the words or just repeat the gist of the answer?

In answer to your first question, I've assumed that one of the listed answers is acceptable to get the question right. However, I can't find anything in the test instructions to confirm or refute this.

As for paraphrasing, here's what the USCIS site says..

Although USCIS is aware that there may be additional correct answers to the 100 civics questions, applicants are encouraged to respond to the civics questions using the answers provided below.

Given that, I've been encouraging my wife to do her best to give the answers exactly as they are written.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
As for paraphrasing, here's what the USCIS site says..

Although USCIS is aware that there may be additional correct answers to the 100 civics questions, applicants are encouraged to respond to the civics questions using the answers provided below.

Given that, I've been encouraging my wife to do her best to give the answers exactly as they are written.

I read that, but I mean should it matter if I say them word for word or if they are saying it almost that way. using the same example as before:

why did the colonist fight the British? If I say: 1 - because of the high taxes and they had no representation for their taxation or 2- The British army stayed in their homes or 3 - They wanted self-government.

I know its a silly question really, but i want to give uscis no reason to say my answers are wrong, i dont like memorize word for word (I have other exams the same week, my brain can only do so much) and I am better at remembering things if I have my own system rather than just memorizing then I may forget, however I will if I need to.

Thanks for you input... I do enjoy reading your posts!

Edited by queendlee

Mailed N-400 March 6th via priority certified mail and Rec'd 9th (confirmation by USPS)

NOA rec'd: 3/19/2009 (date 3/16/2009, priority 3/9/2009)

Biometrics rec'd 3/26/2009, appt 4/9/2009

IL: 5/22/09

ID: 07/06/2009

Oath: 07/16/2009

SSN updated: 7/16/2009 (not received yet)

Passport rec'd: 8/15/2009(nat. certif not rec'd yet)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.