michela

will USC using public benefits hurt our case?

23 posts in this topic

OK our K-1 app is in Nebraska and I am wondering about the public charge thing. I am a college student and my dad is going to co-sponsor the application to get my fiance here, thus making our combined income way above the poverty level that the govt requires. However, my infant son is currently receiving medicaid and I qualify to get child care benefits from the state for when I go back to school in September.

My worry is that if I use these programs, it might jeopardize our case. I could get by without them, but doing that, will end up borrowing a lot of money (child care is very expensive where I am). Can I use the benefits? Will that affect my case? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I use medicaid and wic for my son, and it wont affect our cases. dont worry

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi,

Don't worry. It's no problem. It's not you that they are concerned with. You, as the USC are able to use such benefits.

If the immigrant were to use such benefits-that is entirely a different story. You and the co-sponsor (your dad) would be held accountable to repay them the said benefits until 40 quarters (10 years) passes, he naturalizes, leaves the US, or (god forbid) passes away.

Your child is fine, and it won't affect your case.

No worries.

-Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

I agree with prev posters - USCIS want to make sure your fiance doesn't incur a public charge after emigrating and marrying you and you have already secured a co-sponsor to prevent that.

Good luck :)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Other Timeline

I'd like to keep this thread up front for a bit.

I realize there is a co-sponser involved here. But if for nothing more than an educated discussion, I would like to see some anecdotal evidence that the use of 'means-tested' benefits for the USC and the USC child do not affect visa approval for the beneficiary and their subsequent Adjustment of Status.

Even though at this point visa approval is uppermost in the petitioner's mind, Adjustment of Status needs to be considered, as it is imminent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
My husband (USC) gets Medicare and SSi.... he was recieving these benefits the whole time we did AOS....

It was never an issue.. we were told that it would only be an issue if it was me that was claiming these benefits...

Kezzie

When I was 8 months pregnant with Colin, I had to stop working for some health reasons. Because of that, I lost my health insurance. This was RIGHT in the middle of our AOS petition. David also had not yet received his EAD, although we knew it was on it's way. Anyhow, with no insurance and being close to giving birth I went on Medicaid. I was on it until the 6 week post-partum period was up and Colin was on it until his first birthday. It was never an issue with USCIS in any way.

David & Erin [br]5962a06.jpg.png

6/19/2002- Met Online

11/10/2002- Met in person for the first time at Buffalo International Airport we spend a blissful but all too short week together.

2/23/03- David proposes on the beach in Melbourne Florida at sunrise during his second visit.

9/26/03- After much talk with USCIS we decide to go ahead and get married during David's third visit, with David planning on returning to Ireland the following week.

9/30/03- Phone USCIS to ask questions on filling out paper work and USCIS officer informs us that if David is already here he doesn't need to leave. After numerous calls to the Irish Embassy and two more calls to USCIS to confirm, we decide he will stay.

12/02/03- Petition for AOS recieved

10/8/04- EAD FINALLY arrives

11/10/2004- Our Son Colin Michael Kieran born two years to the minute after our first face to face meeting!

1/26/06- Recieved interview appointment letter.

3/09/06- AOS approved! David is a permanent resident with stamp in passport.

4/4/06- Green card arrives. We are now free to travel back to Ireland so David can see his family for the first time in more than two years.

But if for nothing more than an educated discussion, I would like to see some anecdotal evidence that the use of 'means-tested' benefits for the USC and the USC child do not affect visa approval for the beneficiary and their subsequent Adjustment of Status.

Even though at this point visa approval is uppermost in the petitioner's mind, Adjustment of Status needs to be considered, as it is imminent.

Exactly, I was worried that 1. visa would get denied or 2. we would have trouble later on with the adjustment of status or even further down the road.

the answer looks like i should be okay, thank you everyone!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Any other stories? I just think this is interesting.....

I agree...I think it is a very interesting topic.

I have wondered myself what kind of benefits the USC could claim? Can the USC get food stamps or such things as long as the non USC doesn't apply for it or as part of the application?

:huh:

Filed: Timeline

michela,

What is your K1 application doing in Nebraska? Visa applications, including K visa applications, should be submitted to the appropriate US consulate overseas.

That aside, there is an I-864 FAQ on the USCIS web site. Item #10 is relevant to your question about receiving benefits. Although the answer given is not as definitive as you might like, and might normally give you cause for concern, you write that you've got a joint sponsor lined up.

You might also want to review the sections of 8 CFR part 213(a) and the related sections of the INA that are referenced and linked on some of the I-864 pages on the USCIS web site.

Yodrak

OK our K-1 app is in Nebraska and I am wondering about the public charge thing. I am a college student and my dad is going to co-sponsor the application to get my fiance here, thus making our combined income way above the poverty level that the govt requires. However, my infant son is currently receiving medicaid and I qualify to get child care benefits from the state for when I go back to school in September.

My worry is that if I use these programs, it might jeopardize our case. I could get by without them, but doing that, will end up borrowing a lot of money (child care is very expensive where I am). Can I use the benefits? Will that affect my case? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by Yodrak

michela,

What is your K1 application doing in Nebraska? Visa applications, including K visa applications, should be submitted to the appropriate US consulate overseas.

That aside, there is an I-864 FAQ on the USCIS web site. Item #10 is relevant to your question about receiving benefits. Although the answer given is not as definitive as you might like, and might normally give you cause for concern, you write that you've got a joint sponsor lined up.

You might also want to review the sections of 8 CFR part 213(a) and the related sections of the INA that are referenced and linked on some of the I-864 pages on the USCIS web site.

Yodrak

Nebraska is my service center, where I submitted the I-129F. So, we're just waiting for NOA2.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I asked my caseworker about this when I filed the K-3 petition. What she told me is that the USC is still allowed to use anything that the USC is qualified for. In my case, that is not much, but I do use the subsidized daycare which is available as long as you do not exceed 175% of the poverty level. If my husband were to use the means tested benefits, then I would have to pay them back since we will not be using a co-sponsor.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.