michela

will USC using public benefits hurt our case?

23 posts in this topic

Hmmmm, I don't know. This has come up before on VJ and it's a tricky question to answer when you're not talking about benefits that are specifically excluded on the I-864 (example: federal student aid, Head Start, School Lunch Program, and others).

My take on this: First of all, the USC and any USC children are always entitled to any benefit afforded USCs if they can get it. The immigrant spouse shouldn't come into it. But that's not as cut-and-dried as it looks when you're talking about assistance that affects an entire family, like Section 8 housing vouchers or food stamps.

In this particular case, a co-sponsor who's above and beyond the requirements should be enough. But...see, here's the thing. Put yourself in the mind of a USCIS adjudicator. Are they going to look at a family receiving a large part of its income through public assistance (if the immigrant's not working yet, say) and have some very real doubts about the sponsor's (or sponsors') ability to support the immigrant?

I don't know. I'm just askin'.

I think I'm past the edit time, so let me add: *this* case isn't my concern, as it doesn't look like we're talking about the family receiving a very significant portion of its income from public assistance. But other cases where that IS the situation...that's what I was referring to about putting oneself in the mind of the adjudicator.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What about to have emergency health assistance during the K-1 period??? Im the beneficiary and had to go to the ER. Could I have the medicaid take care of it or should I pay it anyway???

On the I-485, part 3, question 2, says:

Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source, including the United States government or anystate, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?

But, at the I-134 that we filled for the interview says:

4. That this affidavit is made by me for the purpose of assuring the United States Government that the person(s) named in

item 3 will not become a public charge in the United States.

5. That I am willing and able to receive, maintain and support the person(s) named in item 3. That I am ready and willing to

deposit a bond, if necessary, to guarantee that such person(s) will not become a public charge during his or her stay in the

United States, or to guarantee that the above named person(s) will maintain his or her nonimmigrant status, if admitted

temporarily and will depart prior to the expiration of his or her authorized stay in the United States.

Im just curious because I heard of a case that the Non-USC used the Medicaid and didnt have problems with the AOS. It was an Emergency case also...

Any other cases about it???

Carol

PS (Im going to pay anyway, I dont want any problems in the future...)

Edited by Carol&Marc

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

It may be different state to state, but in my past there was a time I had medical for myself and my children, then my income increased to over 100% of the poverty level and I was no longer eligible, but my children were eligible. At that time I was considered to not be receiving state assistance but my children received it. Once I got to 125%, my children no longer qualified either, though they still qualify for daycare until 175%. The higher my income, the more I pay. However, once my husband is here, they wont get that either because at first there will be an adult who could care for them, and that is a disqualifier and once he goes to work, our income would be too high.

Another point that I find interesting is that they claim the I-864 uses the same method for means-tested as other assistance programs such as TANF or Food Stamps, however, public assistance counts all child support in determining eligibility, but for immigration they do not. I am not stating that I think that child support should be used to pay to support anyone but the child, but maybe to offset the financial requirement of said child in income.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Filed: Other Timeline

I showed my child support on the I-864 at our AOS interview.

I don't think it's a question of supporting the immigrant. You have to count the children in the number of people in the household, so showing the money you receive from ex's to support those children is not wrong. It is an offset, as meddykomp said.

It's been a hot-button here with the paying fathers sometimes, but like it or not it's allowable.

Edited by rebeccajo

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
OK our K-1 app is in Nebraska and I am wondering about the public charge thing. I am a college student and my dad is going to co-sponsor the application to get my fiance here, thus making our combined income way above the poverty level that the govt requires. However, my infant son is currently receiving medicaid and I qualify to get child care benefits from the state for when I go back to school in September.

My worry is that if I use these programs, it might jeopardize our case. I could get by without them, but doing that, will end up borrowing a lot of money (child care is very expensive where I am). Can I use the benefits? Will that affect my case? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

I had this very question myself. I'm stuck on the I-134 on what to put for income since I'm not working and I get SSI (Supplemental Security Income), I'm on Medicaid through SSI and also food stamps and Medicaid and school lunch program for my son. I do get child support as well.. What I'm wondering, is.. My mother will be sponsoring my fiance and she makes well over the needed amount. I'm wondering what all do I need to provide on my I-134? Do I need letters from SSI? Letters from doctors? Do I need to cancel the public benefits before he arrives?

I've managed to muddle our way through to this point and I've done fairly well.. not a single RFE, everything has gone smoothly but now I'm stuck.. anyone help?

8817.gif

10828.gif

Trevor & Rhonda

Timeline

March – Met online

June - I went to Regina for the first time

October – Trevor visited for 2 weeks

May – Trevor visited for 2 weeks

No visits

No visits

February - Trevor visited for 1 week

June – I got to visit for 7 whole weeks!

March 27 – Sent I-129F application

April 1 – Received by VSC

April 3 - Touch

April 24 - Touch

May 31 Iwent to visit for 8 weeks

July 7 - NOA2

October 27 - Interview - APPROVED!

Fiance's or non-USCs are NOT considered public charges for using health care benefits, food programs, or any other programs that do not give cash. Cash welfare is considered for public charge purposes.

Edited by Carol and Bruno

Our K-1 Timeline

01/12/08: Attorney mailed petition to CSC

01/22/08: NOA1

05/27/08: NOA2

06/03/08: NVC received

06/04/08: NVC forwarded to Rio de Janeiro consulate

06/09/08: Consulate received

06/23/08: Packet 3 sent

08/19/08: Interview!! (Approved!!)

08/27/08: Visa in hand

09/12/08: POE (Washington DC)

09/25/08: Applied for Social Security card

10/06/08: Social Security card received

11/12/08: Marriage!!

AOS Timeline

03/21/09: Mailed AOS docs to Chicago

03/23/09: AOS packet received in Chicago

03/31/09: NOA1

04/03/09: NOA1 Received (His Birthday!!)

04/17/09: Received notice that our case was transferred to CSC on 4/13/09

04/17/09: My case has been entered into the USCIS system!!

04/23/09: Biometrics appointment

05/11/09: AP approved

05/12/09: Case arrived at CSC for further processing

05/13/09: EAD approved

05/13/09: AOS Touched

05/14/09: AP received

05/15/09: EAD card received

06/25/09: Card production ordered

07/06/09: Approval notice sent

07/06/09: Card Received!!!

Removal of Conditions

03/23/11: Will mail I-751

Citizenship

03/23/12: Will mail N-400

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.