onwa

How do you split the housework?

18 posts in this topic

Since many of us now have our So's with us, how do you handle household chores? In the beginning my husband did most the cooking and the cleaning. But now that we're both working, I've found that we've pretty much split the work even---although he has yet to clean the bathroom! We are both very picky eaters and so make our own food. We either do our own dishes--or he does mine--or I do his--I do more of the general cleaning (sweeping, mopping, etc), but he never makes a mess. We take turns with the laundry, making the bed. He always takes out the trash. I always put in a new bag. He never has to be nagged about anything. I love it!! He also tells me I'm very blessed to have a Nigerian man who cooks and cleans. Well, I'm definitely blessed to have him no matter what! But tell me--how does the rest of you handle chores?

Ka

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think you are extreemely lucky. lol. While my husband does not make too much of a mess, and generally cleans up after himself, I usually end up with the general house duty stuff ie. vacuum, laundry, scrubbing walls, etc. He will cook when I conveniently forget to cook anything, but is happy to let me do the cooking and dishes. Oh he cleans toilets. haha. I hate doing it and he hates to see them dirty, so that is one point for him I guess. lol. I hate clutter, so I find myself always "uncluttering the house". Since we have a baby, he will usually tend to him while I'm busy cooking, cleaning or whatever. We also have two big doggies (Great dane/Rotweiller and Shephard/Rotweiller) and two cute kitties, which I do ALL the caretaking for. Oh just wondering how the non usc spouses out there are doing with the pets of the USC spouse or vise versa? My husband almost had heart failure when my monster jumped on him to lick his face for the first time. My big dog is about 6 ft tall when he stands.

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Since I'm not the one here who afford our life I do most of the "to do list" at home... well I have to say he takes the trash out. Anyhow I consider myself a lucky woman because Jon is really organized, he isn't a messy man either.

Filed: Timeline

My lovely wife does virtually 100% of the cleaning but I do the cooking. This is not something I'm altogether comfortable with but she gets very hurt if I try to do anything (she thinks I don't *approve* of her efforts). In her Latin culture she believes it is her obligation to "take care" of her husband and she has some trouble adjusting to the fact that I don't expect her to wait on me hand and foot. Once, I was using the Vacuum and she took it away from me!

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Most of you are blessed indeed!

I on the other hand am not so fortunate to have such a husband that would help or even (oh heaven forbid :o) slipt the housework, just don't marry a muslim man if you plan to be his maid and wait on him hand and foot for the rest of your life! Its not easy let me tell you! :protest:

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We tend to split it down almost down the middle.

I'll wash the laundry, but we each put our clothes away (he likes to fold stuff a certain way).

We each clean our own bathrooms.

We both load the dishwasher and do dishes in the sink if need be.

We'll both vaccuum.

He is in charge of the garbage, and lawnmowing, I get dusting and cooking and keeping us relatively organized. LOL

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Right now our house work is split about 75/25---my husband does 75%! He's so great! He does the dishes, cleans the bathrooms, takes out the trash and washes the cars. I do the laundry and floors. I try to do more but he won't let me. He feels that since I am the one that is working right now while we wait for his EAD, that he should be the one to keep up on the housework. I actually appreciate it ALOT!!! The division of labor will become 50/50 once he starts working.

Molly

November 2004 Met my sweetheart Stephen online

March 22, 2005 Stephen and I got married in Ikeja, Nigeria

March 28, 2005 Had to leave my heart in Nigeria with Stephen

K-3 Journey

April 7 to December 12, 2005 Filing to visa interview

December 12, 2005 VISA GRANTED!!!!

December 15, 2005 Visa in hand!!!

December 19, 2005 MY HUSBAND ARRIVES IN USA!!!!!!!

AOS Journey

December 29, 2005 NOA1 receipt date for AOS, EAD

January 20, 2006 Received RFE for affidavit of support on AOS

January 23, 2006 Sent reply to MSC for RFE

January 24, 2006 RFE reply received at NBC

January 26, 2006 Email saying AOS is back on track

January 28, 2006 Received biometrics appointment letter for EAD and AOS

February 9, 2006 Biometrics appointment

February 20, 2006 EAD and AOS touched

March 30, 2006 Received interim EAD at Phoenix office.

June 7, 2006 EAD touched

June 8, 2006 EAD touched AGAIN

June 10, 2006 Received interview letter in mail for AOS

June 15, 2006 EAD approved FINALLY!!!!!

JULY 12, 2006 INTERVIEW AT PHOENIX DISTRICT OFFICE

JULY 20, 2006 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

We usually split it right down the middle - I mean there's no chores list or anything but if I cook, she'll do the dishes afterwards and vice versa. That sort of thing. Currently I'm doing most of the domestic work since Nani is in her first trimester and not feeling too well most of the time.

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is something that is difficult for me (within myself, not between my husband and me). I grew up in a very liberal household. My mom never cooked or cleaned more than my dad. I was taught very early to share and share alike. At the same time, I want to make my husband feel comfortable. It is hard for me to reconcile these things within myself, let alone explain it fully to him. So, it is something we are always working on. When he is home during the day, I always come home to find things picked up, the dishes done, and the floor swept. But, if we are both gone for the day, I tend to do more when we get home. As for cooking, sometimes I fix stuff for us both, and sometimes we each fix our own. I think it will be an ongoing flux of living together. By the way, I always do the laungry :P . It works for us most of the time.

Met on internet 6/04. Married at court house in Aba, Nigeria 12/04. 3/05 traditional ceremony in Nigeria w/ my picture. 12/05 finally together again. 4/06 ceremony/celebration in the states together

I 130

1/10/05-sent

2/11/05-NOA1

5/30-touch

6/16-rep contact

6/27-Approved

7/?/05-ds3032/i864 bill generated

7/22/05-sent payment $70

8/1/05-IV visa bill generated

8/11/05-sent bill overnight

8/20/05- rec. 864 packet

8/25/05- nvc rec. IV bill

8/29/05-overnight 864

9/6/05-rec. ds230 (waiting on husband info)

9/28/05-sent ds230

9/29/05-ds230 rec

11/9/05 RFE for orig. birth cert.

11/9/05-sent origional

11/29/05 case complete-abandoned for k-3

129f

3/2/05 sent 3/15/04 noa 1 6/17/05 touched

6/20/05 touched 6/29/05 -heard approved on phone

7/21/05 - husband got packet/interview date at consulate

12/15/05- visa Approved!

12/20/05 picked up visa

AOS

1/9/06 mailed AOS & EAD

1/18/06 NOA 1 AOS and EAD

2/8/06 received appt. notice for bio

2/2/06 EAD touched

2/22/06 EAD touched

3/6/06 apt. date for both bio.

3/7/06 AOS/EAD touched

3/10/06 EAD on it's way

3/14/06 received EAD

3/20/06 filed for ssn

3/28/06 rec ssn

5/10/06 rec noa for AOS interview on June 26

6/22/06 found out pregnant- So happy!!!!

6/26/06 interview-Officer led us to believe we'd have card soon

7/8/06 e-mail stating welcome letter on it's way!

7/13/06 rec. Green card. Yipee!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Up until a couple of weeks ago, Peter did the vast majority of the housework, while I did 90% of the cooking. This is because during that time he was either working nights and had days to himself, or he wasn't working at all while waiting on his EAD.

Needless to say, he found a regular 9-5 job a couple of weeks ago and right now the house is a mess! LOL. It's been a challenge to me just to keep enough dishes clean to eat/cook with, and to keep enough clothes clean for us to wear.

I think this is because we haven't actually "discussed" housework since we're both working full time, but things will naturally probably be split down the middle. I notice that whenever I come home and start cleaning, he does, too. I don't think he likes to sit around while I clean - he wants to look productive, too. I think it's sweet. The other day I came home angry (who knows why?) so I started cleaning viciously to get my mind off of it. Well, Peter stayed in the bedroom (out of harm's way) and started making the bed, cleaning the bathroom, straightening papers, etc. It was so cute that he just fizzled out any anger I might have had and we ended up relaxing together for a little while in our sort-of-clean apartment.

Usually though, I do the laundry, he hangs the clothes, he washes the dishes, or I put them in the dishwasher, I always vacuum, and he takes care of the car. I do have to nag about the car sometimes, but I think that's because it's winter, and he doesn't think he can handle washing the car out in the cold. hehe

Sep, 1992 - First contact, as teenage penpals

1998 - Fell in love

Sep 12, 2002 - First meeting

Nov 13, 2003 - Engaged!

June 10, 2004 - I-129F expressed to Texas

June 15, 2004 - NOA1

Aug 12, 2004 - NOA2

Oct 2004 - Called Accra Embassy, picked up packet

Nov 23, 2004 - Got appt for Jan. 20

Dec 14, 2004 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jan 13-23, 2005 - Dana goes to Ghana to attend interview

Jan 21, 2005 - Visa appointment! APPROVED!!!

Feb 4, 2005 - Visa pick-up date. Not yet processed. Peter told to come back Feb. 11! ARGH!

Feb 11 - Peter's brother gets visitor's visa to attend wedding. YES!

Feb 11, Part 2 - Peter got his passport back with the visa! Woohoo!

Feb 21, 2005 - Transit visa received

Feb 23, 2005 - Peter comes to Atlanta!

March 10, 2005 - Applied for SSN

Apr 2 - Wedding! Honeymoon!

Apr 18 - Reapplied for SSN (we never got it)

Apr 18 - Received marriage certificate in the mail

Apr 25 - Received SS card

Jun 19, 2005 - Submitted AOS and EAD

Jun 21, 2005 - AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox

Jul 1, 2005 - Checks cashed

Jul 5, 2005 - NOA's received for both AOS & EAD

Jul 6, 2005 - Walk-in biometrics

Aug 29, 2005 - EAD email approval (Dated 8/21) / EAD received same day

Nov 9, 2005 - I-485 forwarded to CSC

Jan 18,19,20,21 - Touched 4 times

Feb 7, 2006 - Case approved. We're free!

Mar 7, 2006 - Infopass appt - got I-551 stamp (Green card still not received)

Apr 3, 2006 - Got Welcome Letter and GC!

Oct 12, 2007 - Lifting of Conditions

Dec 2, 2009 - Naturalization!!!!!!

Most of you are blessed indeed!

I on the other hand am not so fortunate to have such a husband that would help or even (oh heaven forbid :o) slipt the housework, just don't marry a muslim man if you plan to be his maid and wait on him hand and foot for the rest of your life! Its not easy let me tell you! :protest:

I don't think it has anything to do with religion. Culture and religion are often confused. The Prophet Muhammad is known to have helped his wives, swept the house, mended his own clothes, etc.

My husband is Muslim and he does not hesitate to help out. He has never treated me like a maid. He does so many things and I never need to ask.

Please don't blame the religion. Maybe remind your husband what the Prophet said "Among the Muslims the most perfect, as regards to his faith, is the one whose character is excellent, and the best among you are those who treat their wives well".

Rebecca

JoeJ---I love big dogs! We will get one someday. We have a pet fish. At first my husband didnt understand how you can have a pet fish. But thus fish has so much personality--hubby has completely taken over his care--and the fish now likes him better than me! (its a weird fish I tell you!)

Well, it sounds like the most of us our happy with the household arrangements and have great spouses. Its actually something we discussed before he even got here.

In other news. Go Nigeria! They won again and will advance to the semi-finals. Since we watch the games live--my hubby got up at 3 am this morning!

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Rebecca

Thank you for your input on this and I really don't blame it on the religion really, but this what my husband has told me and believes in.

He said that the wives are in charge of all house-duties and family, he feels he doesn't have to do anything but work outside to support the family and yet he said this is part of their religion and culture, but he is not the first muslim man that I know of to believe this in the same way. I know of other muslim couples whose husbands believe the wives to do all the cooking and house-cleaning.

He expected me to understand my duties and that is all the housework. This is hard for me to do when I'am working a full-time job that is both physical and tiring! The funny thing about this whole situation is that he still has not been able to get work though he has put in so many resumes out there to every type of company, but without any kind of work experience from the US they will not hire him. :help:

And as for asking him to help out around the home, ha, that is a chore in itself! :bonk:

So blessed are these women here whose husbands help them with cooking and house-cleaning!

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

He said that the wives are in charge of all house-duties and family, he feels he doesn't have to do anything but work outside to support the family and yet he said this is part of their religion and culture, but he is not the first muslim man that I know of to believe this in the same way. I know of other muslim couples whose husbands believe the wives to do all the cooking and house-cleaning.

He expected me to understand my duties and that is all the housework. This is hard for me to do when I'am working a full-time job that is both physical and tiring!

Time that you quit your job and stayed home then leaving the providing solely to him. Is your heading out to work every day not interfering with his beliefs as you describe them? :unsure:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.