Misty1979

Montreal Review

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Finally have a few minutes, so I figured I'd come in a post a quick review of our Montreal experience.

We arrived at the Consulate at approx. 8:00. There was a few people waiting outside, and the entrance was absolutely packed, so we too had to wait outside. After a few minutes, enough room was cleared up to fit us in, so we entered the lobby.

The security guards were extremely professional, and focused on doing their job. We waited in the entrance for about 30 min, then got motioned through to the security indoors. We emptied our pockets, took off our coats, etc, then walked through the sensor thingies. I was a little surprised that they didn't make us take off our shoes like they do at the airport. After they were finished with us there, we were told to follow the yellow arrows down the steps, then take the elevator up to the 19th floor and go to window 14.

The lady at the window was very nice, and gave us our number, C11.

About 30 minutes later, I was called to the window and handed in all our documents. They never asked to see our updated sponsorship info, which was a pleasant surprise ;) While at the window, I was observing some of the other folks handing in their documents at the windows next to me. One guy seemed to be having a lot of trouble with the black fuzzy haired lady I hear so many complaints about. He was very nervous, and she was making it worse. Also, he was in La Tour Centreville when the fire happened, so I'm sure the poor ####### was also running on about 2 hours sleep, I felt pretty bad for him:(

Moving on...

After handing in my documents, Syvlie Ann (the window lady) told me to have a seat in the window room, and she would come back in a few minutes to take my finger prints. I waited about 15 minutes, did some more observing, then did my fingerprints when she came back.

Afterwards, she told me to go back to the waiting room and wait for my name to be called for the interview.

This was the longest part, because we waited approximately two hours. The Consulate was pretty full that day, so I'm guessing that is what the long waits were all about. No big deal though, the time still seemed to go by pretty quick. It sure helps having someone there with you to chat with, so I'm very glad my MIL came along :yes:

At about 11:45ish, I was called for my interview. I was surprised because there was a couple other couples who I thought had been there before me, but I was called ahead of them.

I walked into room number 7, and was greeted by a young man known here on VJ only as "the movie guy." Unfortunately, I'm a little fuzzy about exactly what questions he asked, but they were very few, and he was extremely friendly, and helped me feel at ease. After doing the oath, the conversation went something like this:

CO: "So how did you meet your husband?"

Me: "We met in an online game, Star Wars Galaxies."

CO: "What characters did you guys play?"

Me: "He was a Jedi, and I was a bounty hunter?"

CO: "So how exactly did all this go down?"

Me: "Well it's kind of funny actually, because it is a bounty hunter's job to pull missions on random jedi, and kill them, thus taking away alot of their hard earned xp. I pulled a mission, and was quite surprised when it pulled up my husband's name, since I had run into him before, and he had been very nice. I sent him a message telling him I had his mission, but I remembered that he was so nice, so I just couldn't bring myself to kill him. We had a good laugh about the situation, and I dropped his mission. We chatted everyday for a few months after that, until we met in person."

CO: "Haha, yes that is a very unique situation, and you are actually the first Star Wars couple I've heard of here. After meeting in person, you sure didn't wait long to get married, hey?"

Me: (giggling) "No, we were pretty sure it was meant to be right from the moment we met."

CO: "Well your visa has been approved, and it should arrive in about a week."

Me: (crying tears of joy) "Thank you sir!"

That was about it. I went back out to the waiting room still crying happy tears like a baby lol, and practically jumped on my MIL while I was telling her the good news.

All in all, it was a pretty good experience, and I was pleased with how comfortable the folks at the Consulate made me feel.

Yay for Montreal!

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Sounds painless and swift. Congrats!

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! Nice review, too:-)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Great review. Hope they are still as kind when my time comes....probably in the new year. Glad to see that everything went smoothly for you.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

super duper!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Misty, this is so wonderful!!! I love the story of how you met and I loved the CO's response!

Congratulations to you both!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Well Bounty Hunter, you now have acquired the biggest bounty of all: your Visa!

Congrats!

I hope you've caught up on some missing sleep.

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Finally have a few minutes, so I figured I'd come in a post a quick review of our Montreal experience.

We arrived at the Consulate at approx. 8:00. There was a few people waiting outside, and the entrance was absolutely packed, so we too had to wait outside. After a few minutes, enough room was cleared up to fit us in, so we entered the lobby.

The security guards were extremely professional, and focused on doing their job. We waited in the entrance for about 30 min, then got motioned through to the security indoors. We emptied our pockets, took off our coats, etc, then walked through the sensor thingies. I was a little surprised that they didn't make us take off our shoes like they do at the airport. After they were finished with us there, we were told to follow the yellow arrows down the steps, then take the elevator up to the 19th floor and go to window 14.

The lady at the window was very nice, and gave us our number, C11.

About 30 minutes later, I was called to the window and handed in all our documents. They never asked to see our updated sponsorship info, which was a pleasant surprise ;) While at the window, I was observing some of the other folks handing in their documents at the windows next to me. One guy seemed to be having a lot of trouble with the black fuzzy haired lady I hear so many complaints about. He was very nervous, and she was making it worse. Also, he was in La Tour Centreville when the fire happened, so I'm sure the poor ####### was also running on about 2 hours sleep, I felt pretty bad for him:(

Moving on...

After handing in my documents, Syvlie Ann (the window lady) told me to have a seat in the window room, and she would come back in a few minutes to take my finger prints. I waited about 15 minutes, did some more observing, then did my fingerprints when she came back.

Afterwards, she told me to go back to the waiting room and wait for my name to be called for the interview.

This was the longest part, because we waited approximately two hours. The Consulate was pretty full that day, so I'm guessing that is what the long waits were all about. No big deal though, the time still seemed to go by pretty quick. It sure helps having someone there with you to chat with, so I'm very glad my MIL came along :yes:

At about 11:45ish, I was called for my interview. I was surprised because there was a couple other couples who I thought had been there before me, but I was called ahead of them.

I walked into room number 7, and was greeted by a young man known here on VJ only as "the movie guy." Unfortunately, I'm a little fuzzy about exactly what questions he asked, but they were very few, and he was extremely friendly, and helped me feel at ease. After doing the oath, the conversation went something like this:

CO: "So how did you meet your husband?"

Me: "We met in an online game, Star Wars Galaxies."

CO: "What characters did you guys play?"

Me: "He was a Jedi, and I was a bounty hunter?"

CO: "So how exactly did all this go down?"

Me: "Well it's kind of funny actually, because it is a bounty hunter's job to pull missions on random jedi, and kill them, thus taking away alot of their hard earned xp. I pulled a mission, and was quite surprised when it pulled up my husband's name, since I had run into him before, and he had been very nice. I sent him a message telling him I had his mission, but I remembered that he was so nice, so I just couldn't bring myself to kill him. We had a good laugh about the situation, and I dropped his mission. We chatted everyday for a few months after that, until we met in person."

CO: "Haha, yes that is a very unique situation, and you are actually the first Star Wars couple I've heard of here. After meeting in person, you sure didn't wait long to get married, hey?"

Me: (giggling) "No, we were pretty sure it was meant to be right from the moment we met."

CO: "Well your visa has been approved, and it should arrive in about a week."

Me: (crying tears of joy) "Thank you sir!"

That was about it. I went back out to the waiting room still crying happy tears like a baby lol, and practically jumped on my MIL while I was telling her the good news.

All in all, it was a pretty good experience, and I was pleased with how comfortable the folks at the Consulate made me feel.

Yay for Montreal!

Double congrats, not only did you get approved (by the movie guy no less!) but you also got your (Jedi) Knight (lucky he wasn't Lord Doku or Jar Jar Binks :lol: ).

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

CONGRATS!!

My Fiance and I met on an online video game too.. Its called Guild Wars

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Timeline
CONGRATS!!

Ooh I love Guildwars...that's what I play these days too:)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
CONGRATS!!

Ooh I love Guildwars...that's what I play these days too:)

Hehe.. we've moved from guildwars to playing Counter strike: Source... and Hellgate:London

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.