Michael S. Moody

Interview was on Nov 28, wasn't approved or denied, what's going on?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, just want to say, been a lurker, and I've been carefully watching.

I'll post in the exact dates once I dig them up (it's late, and I want to sleep), but basically, wife and I are married, living in US, filed I-130, I-485, I-765, for Adjustment of Status. (She's canadian, I'm US Citizen)

We had our interview on Nov 28th at the San Jose CA office (I don't remember our officer's name). It went smoothly, he didn't really look at much of what we brought, made copies of a few pictures, asked some simple question, pretty much in line with one review of the San Jose office (when have you been in the US prior, where'd you meet, etc). Made a copy of our bank statement, and a notice in our church's "newsletter" showing our wedding announcement (date, names, etc).

He said we'd passed the FBI background check with no problems.

The interview concluded, he said he'd do a final review, and we'd receive a decision (no date or time estimations) letter. If approved, the Greencard 2-3 weeks after.

Our case hasn't shown any "touches" via the USCIS website, we weren't approved or denied on the spot, and so we're rather biting our nails at the moment waiting. I'd assume that since we haven't been "touched" our case is still sitting on his desk.

Is this abnormal, or just one of those things that "happens sometimes?"

We were honestly expecting to be approved or denied on the spot, and to receive the I-551 stamp in my wife's passport, and were suprised when that didn't happen.

Any help or comments is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

A lot of times, applications need to be signed of on by a supervisor.

It is not unusual and it is not unusual to not get a stamp. Very few offices do that nowadays.

If you have not received updates in a month to 6 weeks, make a infopass and inquire.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Michael,

We had the same situation, but in Chicago on Nov 29. The officer was nice & pleasant, just asked us the normal questions were did we meet, how did we stay in contact, then we gave her all the proof of living together and pictures, she kept it all. She said it looked like she has everything she needs but has to review our file once more on her time and we'll hear. When we asked "are we approved?" she didnt respond with an official "Yes", she just said she needs to review the file to make sure its complete and then talked about removal of conditions in 2 yrs.

I keep checking almost daily on the USCIS site, and no touches, so not sure if the file is sitting waiting, or what.

When I asked the officer about the I-551 stamp, she said its no longer given out. She said if my husband needed to travel for emergency reasons only, he could come back for the stamp then.

So I guess we have to be patient.

12140.gif

Timeline
Michael,

We had the same situation, but in Chicago on Nov 29. The officer was nice & pleasant, just asked us the normal questions were did we meet, how did we stay in contact, then we gave her all the proof of living together and pictures, she kept it all. She said it looked like she has everything she needs but has to review our file once more on her time and we'll hear. When we asked "are we approved?" she didnt respond with an official "Yes", she just said she needs to review the file to make sure its complete and then talked about removal of conditions in 2 yrs.

I keep checking almost daily on the USCIS site, and no touches, so not sure if the file is sitting waiting, or what.

When I asked the officer about the I-551 stamp, she said its no longer given out. She said if my husband needed to travel for emergency reasons only, he could come back for the stamp then.

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I got this via email today:

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

On December 13, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before you get your new card call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Michael

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! You should receive your green card very soon! I received mine 2 days after the welcome notice.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Michael,

I think they are processing ours with the same slowness! I got the same email about welcoming the new permanent resident 2 days ago. It gave me some ease that something is going on and a "touch", now I'm waiting on the other email "card production ordered".

12140.gif

• 1 month later...
Michael,

Hello everyone,

we just had out AOS interview today in Chicago, no answer as well. I was wondering if the officer gave you anything that said you were approved, any paper? First he took my i-94 and EAD, then gave it back, any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks!

Timeline
Hello everyone,

we just had out AOS interview today in Chicago, no answer as well. I was wondering if the officer gave you anything that said you were approved, any paper? First he took my i-94 and EAD, then gave it back, any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks!

Same basic thing happened to use, no word or anything for nearly 1 month. Once that time passed, we received notice that we were approved, but it was a long time in coming. Lots of nail biting.

Michael

Filed: Other Timeline

That's so annoying.

It seems to me (from reading over the years) that some of these AO's just behave that way. Or maybe it's their office policy. Even though these offices have to follow the same rules and laws, they are under different managers and different management styles.

It might even be workload. In very busy offices, some AO's might take interview appointments one right after the other for days on end. They literally might not have time to sign off on the file till they have a day blocked off for paperwork.

Plus - you don't get the emails until after the AO and their supervisor have both signed off on the file. Then theres a clerk who keys in the information. So if they are all swamped, the process becomes more protracted.

That's so annoying.

It seems to me (from reading over the years) that some of these AO's just behave that way. Or maybe it's their office policy. Even though these offices have to follow the same rules and laws, they are under different managers and different management styles.

It might even be workload. In very busy offices, some AO's might take interview appointments one right after the other for days on end. They literally might not have time to sign off on the file till they have a day blocked off for paperwork.

Plus - you don't get the emails until after the AO and their supervisor have both signed off on the file. Then theres a clerk who keys in the information. So if they are all swamped, the process becomes more protracted.

Well, we had to get his supervisor involved as my lawyer wanted any kind of proof of what happened in the room, the officer didn't seem to know what exactly he had to do. At first, he wanted to approve the case, but without any written approval, he asked us to "take his word for it" :thumbs: Then when my lawyer politely explained that it wasn't the law and talked to his supervisor, he decided to make our case "pending". A lot of ego and such and I am not able to function mornally, the enxiety is getting to me like crazy :help:

Edited by BB&I

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.