Germerican

Just Another German

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi All!

First off, this is a great forum you guys got here.

I thought I'd introduce myself, since I've been reading this forum for a while now but never actually wrote anything, until today that is.

My wife Stephanie and I met during a school exchange in Germany in 1999. After spending two great weeks with each other, what followed were five years of flying back and forth between Germany and the U.S. and vice versa. In September of ’03 we finally decided to apply for a K-1 Visa and in June 2004 I flew to the States for good.

We got married in August 2004 on the beautiful Indiana University campus in Bloomington, IN, with both of our families present. In October of 2005 I received my two-year conditional permanent resident card and now I just finished the process of removing these conditions.

The next step will be filing N-400 in July of ’08 and then, after 5 years, we will finally be done with USCIS for good. :)

I'm looking forward to many interessting conversations around here! :D

Andy

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Welcome Andy. What a nice story!

Good luck with the naturalization process.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there,

Welcome! It's good to see another German-American couple on here. :)

So I read you are applying for US citizenship next year, I am eligible next year as well. Are you also going to apply for the "Beibehaltung" of the German citizenship?

Stefanie

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

Timeline

First of all thanks again to everyone.

Hi there,

Welcome! It's good to see another German-American couple on here. :)

So I read you are applying for US citizenship next year, I am eligible next year as well. Are you also going to apply for the "Beibehaltung" of the German citizenship?

Stefanie

Hi Stefanie,

Yes, I will be applying in July, as soon as the 90 day window opens. When would you be eligible? I will also apply to retain my German citizenship. I think I will be filing the papers sooon.

One thing I still need to figure out, is if I can also retain my Italian citizenship. My mom is from Italy and it would be nice to keep my Italian citizenship as well, although not necessary as long as I keep at least one European citizenship.

Timeline

Andy, hello again!

You def. have to keep us informed about how smooth things will go with the German authorities when you send in your paperwork to retain the German citizenship before applying for the US one.

Although I am not even close to be able to do the very same thing (just got my GC a couple of months ago), I am sure curious about other peoples experiences with it (I read alot about the process already). Since the Italien citizenship is yours by birth, you should be able to retain it as well, right?

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Timeline
Yes, I will be applying in July, as soon as the 90 day window opens. When would you be eligible? I will also apply to retain my German citizenship. I think I will be filing the papers sooon.

I will be eligible in June 2008. So not too far away from your eligibility date. I don't know yet if I am actually going to apply right away or if I am going to wait. I'll see.

Stefanie

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Andy, hello again!

You def. have to keep us informed about how smooth things will go with the German authorities when you send in your paperwork to retain the German citizenship before applying for the US one.

Although I am not even close to be able to do the very same thing (just got my GC a couple of months ago), I am sure curious about other peoples experiences with it (I read alot about the process already). Since the Italien citizenship is yours by birth, you should be able to retain it as well, right?

I'll keep you up to date once I get started! ;)

I'm not sure wether or not I will be able to retain my Italian citizenship. I'll have to contact the Italian consulate to find out. It would be nice if I could keep it though.

I will be eligible in June 2008. So not too far away from your eligibility date. I don't know yet if I am actually going to apply right away or if I am going to wait. I'll see.

Stefanie

Just a month earlier. I think I'll apply asap to finally be done with everything. Unfortunately it won't be in time for next year's elections. :angry: