Meridien

Any of you planning to immigrate back to Canada someday?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello my fellow Canadians! My fiance and I are planning to live in the US for several years, mostly due to his career, but our long term goal is to come back to Canada down the road. Are any of you also thinking of doing this?

Argh, after this seemingly neverending K-1 visa process, I need to deal with immigration again like I need a hole in the head! Oh well, at least the next time around we'll be together while we wait!

I'm just curious about my fellow Can-Am couples and what your stories are. I wonder if there's a Visajourney type website for Canadian Immigration? :)

October 5, 2007 - K-1 Application mailed to CSC

October 11, 2007 - NOA1

February 27, 2008 - NOA2

April 29, 2008 - Interview - approved!!

May 6, 2008 - Arrived in the US

May 23, 2008 - Married!

May 29, 2008 - AOS mailed

June 4, 2008 - NOA1!

June 25, 2008 - Biometrics

August 11, 2008 - AP Approved

August 14, 2008 - EAD Approved

October 28, 2008 - Interview - Approved!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bee and I have discussed it, but since it's so far down the road we're putting it off for now. Would be nice to have a vacation home up there :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, as soon as possible. which means as soon as I finish school and find a tenure track position at a Canadian Uni. I'm really hoping that we'll be moving back in 5 years or less. it's funny, my husband (the Canadian) is in much less of a hurry to move back than I am

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

We have already done my Husband's immigration stuff, and once that is done it's done - that's another benefit of the Canadian system - once your Husband/Wife is a permanent resident they remain one as long as they are living with the Canadian spouse - even if that is in another country.

We have actually applied for his Canadian citizenship - that was before I read about the above, however it apparently takes about a year to get to the ceremony and whether he will bother or not, well we will see at the time - probably not, long trip for a ceremony!

I don't know if we will move back to Canada or not, who can say! Once we get firmly planted down in Florida it will seem far far away haha!

Delicia, who posts here, just went through most of the Canadian immigration process (she cancelled it) but she gave a link to a U.S. to Canada website, just can't remember what it is but hopefully she will read this and post it again.

Good luck with your visa application, may it be speedy!

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hell no, well not me anyways. If anything I'd rather live somewhere else if it's not the US (like Europe or something). Wife (the full blooded American) mentioned she wouldn't have any problem doing it though and even suggested it. She has been a few times and can't understand my agnst of ever wanting to live there again. Visits once every few years is good enough for me...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Hard to say! Wife does like Canada, but there are other places in the world to see as well! Were hoping to move to South America for a few yrs soon after I finish School. Her family has a "summer" home in New Port RI, which would be a super place to "retire" to!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sara has never been to Canada, although she lived in Wisconsin for a year or so and hated it. So I can only assume she would hate my home area.

I would like to go back but I doubt even I could live there. The weather the people the environment... it just isn't me anymore. We have talked about the UK, but who knows.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

We've talked about it. C. wants to retire to Canada as he'll be inheriting land there, and I wouldn't mind moving there sooner. But we've agreed to follow my career for a bit, and NOTHING happens until he gets citizenship because I am not putting up with US immigration more than necessary.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Seeing as I'm not a US resident yet, we haven't even talked about moving back to Canada. We may discuss living here in the spring and maybe the fall. I know we won't live here in the winter as it gets to temps sometimes of -40 to -50....brrrrrrrrr

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Nope, I have 2 visits to Canada left in me: one for the Montreal interview and the other to make the drive to the U.S. after my hubby is approved. Other than that, I don't even want to be in Canadian airspace flying over on my way to Iceland or somewhere else. I have a real bad taste in my mouth for Canada. *apologizes for the bluntness to the Canadians*

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: Timeline
Nope, I have 2 visits to Canada left in me: one for the Montreal interview and the other to make the drive to the U.S. after my hubby is approved. Other than that, I don't even want to be in Canadian airspace flying over on my way to Iceland or somewhere else. I have a real bad taste in my mouth for Canada. *apologizes for the bluntness to the Canadians*

:lol: Who can blame you?

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We've talked about it.. but for right now and until Hubby's children are grown, the US will be our home. Hard to imagine retirement.. that's still about 30 years away for us :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

:lol: Who can blame you?

I get the 'I don't like Canadian Immigration' stuff, I don't really get the I don't like Canada or Canadians part (if that is what you are saying?).

If people held immigration against a whole country, there would be a lot of hate (mis)directed at Americans :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.