JA Tam

Physical Green card

196 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks Alan and JA Tam! Happy Holidays to all you folks as well.

I do have a question though about your license. It might be just Florida but were you able to transfer your UK License to a Florida one?

I believe in NJ my wife has to go through the entire process to get a license. That means getting a permit after taking the computer knowledge test and then 3 months of waiting before she can take the exam. What a PITA.

Anyhow, I am glad they found your money! I get worked up over losing $20 so 60k would put me in the looney bin.

Once again, Happy Holidays to all and hopefully Santa will put a GC in your stockings soon!

I-130

02/17/2007 - I-130 Express Mailed to VSC via USPS. (ETA 2/19/2007)

02/22/2007 - I-130 received by VSC.

06/12/2007 - NOA2 approval email received!!!

06/15/2007 - NOA2 letter received in the mail.

NVC

06/19/2007 - NVC receives case and assigns a case number!

08/27/2007 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

09/06/2007 - Case forwarded to Sydney

09/14/2007 - Wife receives Packet 3. Received NVC letter confirming case forward to Sydney.

10/26/2007 - Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!! WOOO WOOO!!!!!!

11/18/2007 - Enter the US via LAX (POE). No issues thankfully. 20 minutes of processing.

11/30/2007 - Welcome letter (two of them) received.

12/19/2007 - CR-1 Green Card received.

USCIS - I-751

09/23/2009 - Express Mailed Removal of Conditions application

09/24/2009 - USPS confirmed delivery to VSC

09/29/2009 - Check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2009 - Received NOA I-797C dated 09/25/2009

10/10/2009 - Received Biometric appt letter for 10/29/2009

10/29/2009 - Biometrics taken. Whole process took about 40 min including the wait

12/22/2009 - Approved for ROC!

01/08/2010 - Received text and email: Card production ordered

01/15/2010 - Received Green Card in the mail!

USCIS - N-400

04/22/2011 - Express Mailed Application for Naturalization

04/27/2011 - Check cashed by USCIS

04/28/2011 - Received NOA I-797C dated 04/26/2011

05/27/2011 - Biometrics taken. Process took approx 35 min with wait

07/29/2011 - Received Interview Appt letter scheduled for 09/01/2011 dated 07/26/2011

09/01/2011 - Interview and Oath. Now a USC! The VJ is over!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks for your replies, my I-90 was sent to Texas the first time and I quess that's where it stayed, some little Mexican is using it to cross the border or has sold it. My second I-90 was mailed to California, then sent to Lee's Summit, Missouri. My biometrics were taken again in Helena, MT. That's 360miles from where we live, but is the local field office.

Hi Saywhat, where in West Yorkshire are you from? I lived in Oxenhope, Nr. Keighley about 2miles from Haworth, famous for the Bronte Sisters and the Steam Railway.

----and a red haired bird called Muriel known to her many lovers as moo-moo Muriel who's son maintained the steam loco that goes to Oxenhope - but that's another story and I shall quickly draw a veil now I am married !

My stamping ground was Otley/Ilkley/Guiseley/Apperley Bridge - we did the Bronte Parsonage last year and the Black Bull where Charlotte Bronte's brother used to get squiffy - Timothy Taylor's ales (sigh). I know that area alright

They can keep it in mid December - I am ok here in Florida ! I could not even find my jacket if I wanted to.

NOW GIMME THAT GC !!!!!

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In my hubby's case, he had a DL from Jamaica, but he still had to take the computer test and driving test here in Florida. They issued him a temporary DL (it's a sheet of paper signed by some administrator) that is good for a month. Hopefully he will get his DL in the mail before the temporary DL expires. He should be able to drive on his Jamaican license until then, though.

Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas. It seems to have been an amazing year for you! :D I wish you all the best in 2008!

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
In my hubby's case, he had a DL from Jamaica, but he still had to take the computer test and driving test here in Florida. They issued him a temporary DL (it's a sheet of paper signed by some administrator) that is good for a month. Hopefully he will get his DL in the mail before the temporary DL expires. He should be able to drive on his Jamaican license until then, though.

Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas. It seems to have been an amazing year for you! :D I wish you all the best in 2008!

many thanks - there are a lot of people who have had it MUCH worse and at least we are together and in the sun and my pension is rolling in every month - I can deal with what ever is up ahead with that as a base.

we can all thank our good fortune for VJ

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Ok just some pre - research for any of us if these green cards never do show up:

the instructions say wait 60 days before you call the USCIS:

If they then say they sent the card then we need to submit form I-90 with no fee.

These are the instructions:

Special Instructions:

If you are filing because your card was never received, you must mail a new I-90 application using Application Reason "b" My authorized card was never received, and any supporting documentation, to the USCIS Service Center/National Benefits Center (NBC) that processed your previously filed I-90 application. For the Service Center/NBC mailing address, please refer to the I-797 "Notice of Action" and/or e-Filing Confirmation Receipt notice that you received upon submittal of your previously filed I-90 application. In addition to the new I-90 application, applicants are encouraged to send a copy of their I-797 "Notice of Action" and/or the e-Filing Confirmation Receipt notice issued for their previously filed I-90 application. I-90 applications submitted with Application Reason "b" do not require the biometrics fee or the base application fee.

I don't understand where I should send this form ! I filed in London, they rejected it. Then it went to Nebraska and they sent it to California. Then it went to NVC and I got my visa in London. I landed at Chicago and signed some form hidden inside a credit card type machine. Was that an I-90 ? I live in Florida now

If I have to file I-90, where would I file it ? New Hampshire, California, Mesquite Texas, Santas stocking ?

This is just research at the mo but there are a few of us in this situation so it's worth finding out early

any ideas folks ?

alan

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Ok just some pre - research for any of us if these green cards never do show up:

If they then say they sent the card then we need to submit form I-90 with no fee.

Special Instructions:

If you are filing because your card was never received, you must mail a new I-90 application using Application Reason "b" My authorized card was never received, and any supporting documentation, to the USCIS Service Center/National Benefits Center (NBC) that processed your previously filed I-90 application. For the Service Center/NBC mailing address, please refer to the I-797 "Notice of Action" and/or e-Filing Confirmation Receipt notice that you received upon submittal of your previously filed I-90 application. In addition to the new I-90 application, applicants are encouraged to send a copy of their I-797 "Notice of Action" and/or the e-Filing Confirmation Receipt notice issued for their previously filed I-90 application. I-90 applications submitted with Application Reason "b" do not require the biometrics fee or the base application fee.

I don't understand where I should send this form ! I filed in London, they rejected it. Then it went to Nebraska and they sent it to California. Then it went to NVC and I got my visa in London. I landed at Chicago and signed some form hidden inside a credit card type machine. Was that an I-90 ? I live in Florida now

If I have to file I-90, where would I file it ? New Hampshire, California, Mesquite Texas, Santas stocking ?

This is just research at the mo but there are a few of us in this situation so it's worth finding out early

any ideas folks ?

alan

It should probably go to Texas Service Center as that is where all the GCs are produced (or should have been produced). Here's the draw back - in the reasons for applying you have a) my card was lost, stolen or destroyed, b ) my authorized card was never received (I won't go into other options as they are not of interest to us here). If you still have not got it, they automatically assume a) and that's why they want you to file with $370 fee. While it does say that for reason b ) you would not have to pay anything, you can bet they will reject it as in their eyes the GC was produced and sent - it's not their fault you did not receive it - could be the post office, lost or something, you still gotta pay.

I waited 60 days and more before calling and all they could tell me was the same thing I could see on case status online - I-551 approved back in July. That's the I-797s I have - Texas Service Center sent it.

What bugs me is the fact that it never showed up in my case online status that the card was ever produced! Normally it would say something like on such and such date card production was ordered.

So, they do not have any proof that the card was actually made and sent off to you but you are to still pay $370???

This self-sustaining service - and I can see who is sustaining them - we are; needs some more reforms!

Edited since my b ) was turning into emoticon :-)

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Special Instructions:

any ideas folks ?

alan

It should probably go to Texas Service Center as that is where all the GCs are produced (or should have been produced). Here's the draw back - in the reasons for applying you have a) my card was lost, stolen or destroyed, b ) my authorized card was never received (I won't go into other options as they are not of interest to us here). If you still have not got it, they automatically assume a) and that's why they want you to file with $370 fee. While it does say that for reason b ) you would not have to pay anything, you can bet they will reject it as in their eyes the GC was produced and sent - it's not their fault you did not receive it - could be the post office, lost or something, you still gotta pay.

I waited 60 days and more before calling and all they could tell me was the same thing I could see on case status online - I-551 approved back in July. That's the I-797s I have - Texas Service Center sent it.

What bugs me is the fact that it never showed up in my case online status that the card was ever produced! Normally it would say something like on such and such date card production was ordered.

So, they do not have any proof that the card was actually made and sent off to you but you are to still pay $370???

This self-sustaining service - and I can see who is sustaining them - we are; needs some more reforms!

I know you have been at this a lot longer than me but are you sure you are not reason 'b' ?

'Not received' must mean it was 'not received' surely ? You didn't lose your green card (it has to have been in your possession for you to lose it) nor was it stolen or destroyed...

Did you try using 'b' and they rejected it ? It can't be that the only circumstances for reason 'b' is when their own system simply says they havent sent it yet...can't be... you would not send a I-90 if their system says it isn't sent yet ?

In what circumstances WOULD reason 'b' apply ?

Surely its only when their system says it is sent, but you say it hasnt arrived , that the reason is 'b' ?

I have been speaking english for 60 years and 6 weeks apart from the first year or two when I sounded like George Bush - so 'not received' means 'not received' to me and it is hard to interpret it any other way...

No way will I pay for their failure to send it out

moresheep400100.jpg

Special Instructions:

any ideas folks ?

alan

I know you have been at this a lot longer than me but are you sure you are not reason 'b' ?

'Not received' must mean it was 'not received' surely ? You didn't lose your green card (it has to have been in your possession for you to lose it) nor was it stolen or destroyed...

Did you try using 'b' and they rejected it ? It can't be that the only circumstances for reason 'b' is when their own system simply says they havent sent it yet...can't be... you would not send a I-90 if their system says it isn't sent yet ?

In what circumstances WOULD reason 'b' apply ?

Surely its only when their system says it is sent, but you say it hasnt arrived , that the reason is 'b' ?

I have been speaking english for 60 years and 6 weeks apart from the first year or two when I sounded like George Bush - so 'not received' means 'not received' to me and it is hard to interpret it any other way...

No way will I pay for their failure to send it out

Well, the lady at Infopass said b ) is the correct one but that I should e-file everything and pay $370. Note: so far we have not e-filed - waiting for response from hubby's govt. representatives.

It seems that for them not received means it 'ain't our fault you did not get it'. At the same time, they won't provide you with any kind of proof that they actually sent off your GC.

Here's what it says under "What is the filing fee?" for I-90: 2. If you are filing only because you never received your card. However, if the card was sent to the address provided and never returned to USCIS, your application will be rejected. You must file another Form I-90 application and on the first page of the form under Application type., Number 2. Reason for application, check box a that states: My card was lost, stolen or destroyed. Include both application and biometrics fees with your form.

So the thing is they are not admitting to their wrong doing and are forcing you to pay up! Anybody know if there is an actual list of people at the service center to whom they actually sent GCs?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
[

Well, the lady at Infopass said b ) is the correct one but that I should e-file everything and pay $370. Note: so far we have not e-filed - waiting for response from hubby's govt. representatives.

It seems that for them not received means it 'ain't our fault you did not get it'. At the same time, they won't provide you with any kind of proof that they actually sent off your GC.

Here's what it says under "What is the filing fee?" for I-90: 2. If you are filing only because you never received your card. However, if the card was sent to the address provided and never returned to USCIS, your application will be rejected. You must file another Form I-90 application and on the first page of the form under Application type., Number 2. Reason for application, check box a that states: My card was lost, stolen or destroyed. Include both application and biometrics fees with your form.

So the thing is they are not admitting to their wrong doing and are forcing you to pay up! Anybody know if there is an actual list of people at the service center to whom they actually sent GCs?

the murk is beginning to clear - it sounds like the only time they will accept 'b' is if you changed your address AND put a forward on your mail so that the green card was returned to USCIS and they have it or had it (they destroy it quickly if returned)

If you didnt do the redirect, then they assume you are GUILTY of lying about receiving your card so you can sell it on the black market and they want you to admit you have lost it even though you never received it... they are forcing you to tell a lie (that you have lost it) or you won't get a green card.

So they assume that if they sent it out then you DID receive it and have lost it etc and must pay

So the only time you don't have to pay is when their records show they received it back

I couldn't believe what you were saying was correct but knowing them as I do, this scenario sounds most believable now

That's oppressive and totalitarian and guilty until proved innocent. Welcome to America indeed

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

full extract from the instructions for I-90 pdf file

the exceptions for not sending the fee+biometrics fees are:

1. If you are filing only because the card issued to you was

incorrect due to a USCIS administrative error. However,

if the error was not caused by USCIS, both application and

biometrics fees are required.

2. If you are filing only because you never received your

card. However, if the card was sent to the address

provided and never returned to USCIS, your application

will be rejected. You must file another Form I-90

application and on the first page of the form under

Application type., Number 2, Reason for application,

check box a that states: My card was lost, stolen or

destroyed. Include both application and biometrics fees

with your form.

Good heavens it's all true.....If I never received it, I am not allowed to say that or the application will be sent back. I have to lie and say I lost it. I didn't - but I have to say I did. I must lie or be ignored and not get a GC

Good game played slowly as we say in Yorkshire - they could do this many times in a row - never send a card out - and get $370 each time

Sorry for doubting - I could not believe the U.S. goverment would play like this and I am still shaking my my head in partial belief..

I have been told to my face (in person) by a USC that 'I should stop whining about the USCIS and 'you people' should go back where you come from if you don't like it'

I came here with a positive attitude this time and I was admiring of the U.S. constitution and how it was superior to the U.K. I was looking forward to being involved in politics and social programs once I became a USC. All this stuff is shaking my faith in 'fair play' and honesty and straight dealing. I am starting to doubt a lot of things now

Why don't they just mail it out with 'signature required' and save us all sleepless nights ? The answer is obvious now...

How sad

The link....

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-90instr.pdf

moresheep400100.jpg

Hi VJe'rs

Does it necessary that we have the green card before we can get a job here in the US? or the Social Security Number is ok?

FILE I-130 FOR PARENTS
USCIS:
Jul 19, 2012 - File Date
Jul 23, 2012 - Cashed the Check and USCIS sent me email
Within 7-10 days rec'd NOA1 by mail (father only)
Aug 20, 2012 - Contacted USCIS for change of address
Mar 18, 2013 - our case was approved by USCIS
Mar 23, 2013 - rec'd NOA2 by mail both parents.
NVC:
Mar 23, 2013 - rec'd by NVC
Apr 05, 2013 - case # assigned for both parents
Apr 10, 2013 - rec'd email from NVC for the AOS fee and DS-3032
Apr 10, 2013 - pay NVC online and emailed the DS-3032
Apr 12, 2013 - showed on the site paid & print cover sheet
Apr 15, 2013 - mailed I-864 packet
Apr 22, 2013 - Rec'd DS-3032 Acceptance Email

May 03, 2013 - showed on site paid & print cover sheet

May 05, 2013 - mail the DS230 Packet

May 08, 2013 - NVC rec'd the DS230 Packet

May 27, 2013 - Case Complete

June 07, 2013 - NVC email for the July interview schedule

Sept 11, 2013 - interview moved from orig. July 10 date (due to mother's culture test); Interview approved but Father got 221(g) NBI with AKA required.

Sept 19, 2013 - sent the Father NBI with AKA tru 2GO

~~MY JOURNEY~~
FORM I-130 PROCESS
Jul. 26, 2006 - Sent Form I-130 to VSC but processed to CSC
Oct. 31, 2007 - Case Completed
Dec. 18, 2007 - Interview date
FORM I-129F PROCESS
Mar. 26, 2007 - Sent Form I-129F to VSC ( VSC mailed the documents to Chicago )
Dec. 05, 2007 6:30am- Reschedule Interview date(after 2 mos from original date)
Dec. 11, 2007 - Visa in Hand (request for CR1 visa granted)
MD, USA
Dec 12, 2007 - Arrived in the US
Dec 22, 2007 - Received the SSN from mail
Feb 08, 2008 - Received the Green Card
Sep 2009 - file I-751 within the 90-day period before second anniversary as a conditional resident.
Dec 2010 - file N400 (Application for Citizenship)
NATURALIZED
May 2011 - Oath Taking at Baltimore, MD

Timeline
Hi VJe'rs

Does it necessary that we have the green card before we can get a job here in the US? or the Social Security Number is ok?

The passport VISA says it is a 551 (green card) for 12 months so you actually do have a'green card' as soon as you land in the USA - but it only lasts for 12 months - and if you hit problems 3 months after landing (say you dont receive your card) then you will need a lot of those remaining 9 months to fight with the USCIS to get a replacement

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
Hi VJe'rs

You'll need your green card in order to work.

Having the physical green card in your hand is not necessary to work. As long as you have your SSC and your passport has the I-551, which is your "green card" (as stated by Alan) is sufficient for appying and accepting a job. On the W9 form that you have to fill out, your passport and SSC will be sufficient as the 2 forms of ID that HR requires to send to IRS.

Best of luck to you!!! :thumbs:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Timeline

UPDATE - Hubby got his DL in the mail on Christmas Eve. I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas filled with love and happiness and as I said before, have a great 2008!!! :thumbs:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.