ihavenoclue

how fast can she get the civorce

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
My wife is leaving me in the dark as to when she is going to file for the divorce.

also i dont know if, or when she is going to contact the USCIS to tell them that the marriage is ending.

Can she file for the divorce and end it without myself signing any divorce papers?

Only if you cannot be reached. If a petitioner in a divorce action cannot find the respondent in order to service him or her, the petitioner can post notice by means of a legal announcement in a newspaper. In that event, if the respondent does not respond to the petition for divorce, after a certain period of time the plaintiff/petitioner in the divorce can be awarded judgment by default and the other party would be none the wiser.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

But, if she knows where you are, that is fraud if she goes around your signature.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
But, if she knows where you are, that is fraud if she goes around your signature.

There is no state in the US where a person needs the permission of the other to get a divorce, nor are you required to sign anything.

If you do not respond to the complaint after you are served, the plantiff takes a default divorce. If you refuse to cooperate and sign a property agreement settlement, then the court will order one and include it in the final order without your signature.

As far as the divorce, there is nothing for the defendant to sign if he is not going to respond to the complaint.

I would guess that 90% of divorces in this country are default divorces. The defendent is served. He gets an attorney. The two parties (thru the attorneys) agree on a property settlement, custody, support issues....signs it and the judge includes it in the final order without even appearing in court.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I would guess that 90% of divorces in this country are default divorces. The defendent is served. He gets an attorney. The two parties (thru the attorneys) agree on a property settlement, custody, support issues....signs it and the judge includes it in the final order without even appearing in court.

What you've described is not default, it's an uncontested divorce. Default, like you have previously mentioned in your post, is when the defendant does not react to the divorce papers in any way - doesn't file an answer, etc. Whereas if an attorney is involved, it implies that the defendant is taking action.

ihavenoclue, we can't tell you anything, we don't know your state. Divorce is a state matter, they are all different in all 50 states. Some states have ridiculously long waiting periods for divorces, even uncontested ones. Others, like Nevada, will grant you a divorce in a matter of weeks.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

In California all they have to do is serve you and the petitioner can continue with the divorce. If they can't find you they run a statement in the local paper for a certain amount of time and then continue with the divorce.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends on what state you live in & the timeframe of settling conjugal properties or any matter if no prenup signed.There's a no fault divorce,uncontested & contested and one can file if she/he wishes.I live in Ca & usually takes 6 months and 1 day but mine drags to almost a year :wacko: .We did not appear either on the family court and everything was confirmed, signed and settled tru mail.

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.