~~~water~~~

advice needed- My fiance wants to travel to Saudia Arabia for work

Should he take the job  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is it best just to not take the job and keep the passport at the embassy, or take it and wait for them to request it

• he should take the job, better money and experience , request the passport back
    • No Way... Leave the passport at the consulate and just stay put

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My fiance has been offered a job that would require him to travel to Saudi Arabia and UAE and also work in Egypt. He would still be able to leave as soon as he gets the visa. BUT, the embassy held his passport, we have have been in AP for 7 months now and had a 2nd home visit last week (the first no one answered the door). I am optimistic that things will be moving on our case soon and its not wise to ask for the passport or travel. He thinks the job offer is a great opportunity he will receive certifications valuable for starting a career here in the US.

My points

traveling to Saudi Arabia not a good idea(he has never traveled out of the country before which I think is good in the eyes of the consulate unless your going to the us or europe)

Asking for his passport back can only add time to our waiting and is not a good idea

His points

He will have a better job and who knows we may be waiting another year or worse.

He will improve his resume for the US workforce

He really likes the manager/company

What do you think?

What would you do?

Edited by water is wide

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Most of the work in Saudi Arabia is contracted for at least 1-2 yrs. He would have a sponsor (kafeel) and most of the time the (kafeel ) would keep the employee's passport to make sure they don't leave for another job or the country without fullfilling his obligation.

It's wonderful that he would have this chance of going and working, however he must take into consideration that if the embassy wants him to send his passport back to them he won't be able to or would have a considerably hard time in doing so because of his commitment to his job. What if the embassy requires another new police report, movement certificate etc?

It's going to be a hard decision for you guys to make, but just make sure you have discussed ALL what COULD happen while he was away.

What would I do? Wait it out no matter how long it took.

Good luck with any decision you will make!!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Its a very difficult decision...and I hope that you both decide on what is best....IMO...I would request that my fiance stay where he is...for concerns that he may complicate or lenghten the wait...especially considering where you guys are in the process......good luck!!

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Although we weren't at the same point in the process as you, my husband was offered a job in the UAE soon after we had applied. We had no idea how long the process would take (this was 3 years ago), but I really encouraged him to stay in Morocco. That there would be time down the road when moving to the UAE might be an option and his going at that time would postpone us being together. Granted our whole visa process took 9 months and you've been on AP for 7 months already the situations are a little different. If god forbid you ended up being denied a visa then I would say for him to move forward while you re-file and appeal (I know that's not what you want to think and hopefully it won't happen just trying to attack all sides).

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

My fiance's brother has one of those jobs... he hasn't been home in 10 yrs and can't currently get his passport back as they are holding it. His father is ill and they thought he might be dying and they still wouldn't give it back for him to leave the country. He is stuck....

It doesn't always happen that way, but you have to be VERY careful. It really is not a good idea for someone who has something to loose.... they practically own you....

Don't want to scare you, but please consider if it's worth the risk.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My fiance's brother has one of those jobs... he hasn't been home in 10 yrs and can't currently get his passport back as they are holding it. His father is ill and they thought he might be dying and they still wouldn't give it back for him to leave the country. He is stuck....

It doesn't always happen that way, but you have to be VERY careful. It really is not a good idea for someone who has something to loose.... they practically own you....

Don't want to scare you, but please consider if it's worth the risk.

very good point :thumbs:

i voted to stay put.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

The job is in egypt with work in Qutar and Kuwait not saudi, my mistake

thanks for all the feedback this far

K1 process

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

AOS

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/29/08 AP touch

6/02/08 AP in hand

9/02/08 AOS interview

Timeline

and they would not keep his passport

K1 process

AOS

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/29/08 AP touch

6/02/08 AP in hand

9/02/08 AOS interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We have had this same situation come up over the nine months we have been waiting since the interview. Sam has had two job offers in Dubai which would have paid him like double or triple what he is making now. It was a hard decision, but ultimately he opted to stay in Cairo and wait it out where he is. We believe that it would definitely complicate things and make our very long wait that much longer.

Good luck for whatever ya'll decide, but for the visa situation staying put is best I believe.

K3 Visa

03/26/06 Wedding day!!

waiting for documents to be translated and sent to me in US

05/21/06 Return to Egypt to visit for 9 wonderful days!

06/06/06 I-130 sent (finally!!)

07/12/06 NOA1

10/02/06 Approved!!!

07/20/06 I129f sent

07/24/06 NOA1

09/27/06 I129f approved!!!!

10/06/06 At NVC and case # assigned. Woohoo!!!

10/10/06 NVC sent K3 documents to Cairo today!!!

10/15/06 K3 documents received at Cairo consulate.

10/29/06 Packet 3 received.

11/01/06 Medical appointment

11/08/06 Medical certificate received

11/10/06 Packet 3 sent by delivery service

11/12/06 Packet received at consulate

02/05/07 Interview Date

02/16/07 10 day trip to Egypt

06/25/07 Home visit by field investigator

01/14/08 Got the email to send in his passport for visa!!!!

01/28/08 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!

03/17/08 Arrival in USA!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would have him stay put I think because you have been in AP this long already.

I don't know how much job experience in MENA will help him when he gets here. This is a bit off topic but someone IMed me the other day who is already in the US and is having trouble finding a job. He said that he applied for several jobs but they won't hire him. He went on to say that he was a project manager in his country (Egypt maybe) and he wouldn't settle for a job less than that. He said he is expecting to make 300,000$ a year here with his background. He said he went to college in Egypt but he doesn't understand why he won't be paid $300,000 a year here... needless to say, it was an interesting conversation.

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

My husband's neice works in Kuwaitt and they do indeed take the passport and issue an iqama same as here in Saudi. the sponsor makes the final say on whether or not the person can have his passport back and whether they can be issued an exit visa to travel. probably not something he needs to get involved in if you are already so far into the process. JMO. Goodluck.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

water, you know that I would never give you any bad advice on any subject. I had this same conversation (exactly) with Akram. And it turned into an argument, but more from my side than his!

Try to tell him to wait it out. Tell him to wait a certain amount of time, but to WAIT. You both really don't need to add more to the wait, in case he's asked his passport back and he's away.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Hope you get great news soon inshaAllah!

Hugs,

Ayesha (F)

eg-flag1-ss.gifAkramheartbeat.gifAyeshapr-flag1-ss.gif

th_CIMG0624.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.