John Belly

Traveling to US, question about "proving ties"

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

First off, I dont know if this is the right forum for my question. If it is wrong, I apologize in advance.

My g/f will be traveling from the UK to visit me here in the US in January.

I keep finding references to "proving ties" to the UK.

What exactly does she need to bring that would help her "prove ties" if its needed?

She will be staying for only 2 weeks and will have her return ticket.

Also, I would like for her to be able to travel back in March or April. Would two entries in that time frame cause an issue? She will be entering both times on the Visa Waiver Program. Second visit would also be for 10 to 14 days.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this or reply with advice. Thanks in advance.

Happy Holiday! :)

First off, I dont know if this is the right forum for my question. If it is wrong, I apologize in advance.

My g/f will be traveling from the UK to visit me here in the US in January.

I keep finding references to "proving ties" to the UK.

What exactly does she need to bring that would help her "prove ties" if its needed?

She will be staying for only 2 weeks and will have her return ticket.

Also, I would like for her to be able to travel back in March or April. Would two entries in that time frame cause an issue? She will be entering both times on the Visa Waiver Program. Second visit would also be for 10 to 14 days.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this or reply with advice. Thanks in advance.

Happy Holiday! :)

Any evidence she has showing she basically "has to" return to her country and won't go awol!

I don't think the UK is very strict on giving tourist visa as some others are.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Timeline

Ummm.. under VWP she doesn't need a visa... so the American Embassy (in London) doesn't have to give her anything.

Where are you in the K-1 process? Have you already submitted your paperwork? If so, she will most likely be stopped. If not, chances are she won't be questioned and won't have to prove anything.

Strong ties would include note from her employer(stating she's on hols and is expected back on X day), household deed, proof she's attending Uni, car deed...

oh, and a return ticket... heehee.

Edited by Singers

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Where are you in the K-1 process? Have you already submitted your paperwork? If so, she will most likely be stopped.

This is most definitely NOT the case. I, and many others on VJ, have gone to usa during the K1 process and been let in. Yes, it may be slightly risky, but as long as you have the ties to UK it wont be a problem. I took with me my contract, pay stubs, phone bills, credit card statements and a return ticket. They didnt ask anything more than how long i will be staying there for and then let me in.

I think question marks arise when you plan on spending several months at a time on the VWP. a few weeks here and there is no big deal

:time:

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: Other Timeline

I didn't say she wouldn't be let in. I just said she would be stopped for questioning, like how long are planning to stay and proof of ties... normally VWP do not need to show ties...

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

We filed a few days ago and I'm going back to the US for Christmas on the 24th. I'm rather hoping we'll have had our NOA1 by then, as I was going to take the email (I'm assuming you get an email) as proof of "doing it properly" and not likely to go awol. Also going to ask my employer to knock up a letter for me, as well as perhaps having a mastercard statement and of course my return ticket.

Hopefully that'll suffice. The immigration guy at Chicago was utterly nonplussed that I was visiting my girlfriend last time, so hopefully this will go as smoothly.

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Typically UK visitors on the VWP won't get stopped for additional questioning until there is a pattern of frequent or long visits. Tell her to be honest in answering questions without offering any additional information. Like others have indicated, if she has a job - paystubs or a letter from her employer, copy of lease agreement, etc. will be adequate. Try not to worry about it too much as many UK K1 filers have successfully visited the US without incident.

You might find the following thread to be useful: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67796

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I travelled to the USA on the VWP whilst mid K-1. I took with me a letter from my employer confirming that I was still employed with them full time. It also stated that I was on leave for X days and would be returning to the UK on X date. I also took with me a mortgage statement (showing payment dates), a couple of utility bills and my K-1 information. As it was I wasn't asked for any of it, despite my actually telling the Immigration Officer that I was in the midst of a K-1 application. :D What you tell them is up to you, keep it simple and continue to be truthful should they inquire any more deeply.

The links that Julezabelle and Krikit supplied are worth a look too. The main thing is not to be scared about it as you aren't doing anything wrong by her visiting you mid process. :thumbs:

Edited by Mags

I don't think anyone mentioned it, so just in case, I will mention that it's definitely not a problem for her to do two 2-3 week trips within the space of three to four months. As long as she proves ties to the UK, she is allowed to visit for up to 90 days. Someone who came for two months, left for a couple weeks, and tried to come in back for three months would probably have a problem, but that's definitely not the case here. :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Timeline

WOW! Thanks everyone for the replies. It was all very helpful.

One last question if someone happens to check back...

When you enter on the Visa Waiver Program is it always permission for a period of 90 days?

Or if you say you are returning home in 10 days, you only get 10 days?

Been reading up on the VWP and it seems they grant you entry for 90 days usually. (If you get in of course)

So is it possible to stay longer once allowed in just as long as you dont overstay the 90 days?

Just trying to figure all of this out... :)

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Every visa waiver is valid for 3 months. I have entered the US about 5 times with one and never had any problems, and I've never had to show a return ticket so I don't see why they would say "well since your ticket says you're leaving December 18th you're forbidden to stay longer" since you're allowed to stay for up to 90 days.

I visited my H once when we were going through the K1 process, and I was never informed that I should bring things to show ties to the UK. I remember that the officer asked what the purpose of my visit was and I said "to see my boyfriend". Well I guess the officer saw my engagement ring and asked how long we'd been engaged and when we were getting married etc, to which I told him we'd get married when I had my K1. I remember when I'd been admitted to the country and walked away from the officer, he said (nastily!) "JUST DON'T STAY HERE ILLEGALLY'. Which bugged me but what are you gonna do! Anyway, bottom line, he never asked me to prove anything (though in hindsight, I should have brought a letter from my university or something to prove that I had ties).

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the visa waiver is very easy - she won't even have to fill anything out until she's on the plane, and then it's just minimal info.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They just stamp you in for 90 days, so in your passport you get a visa-free entry stamp that says something like 'wait until 90 days further. So you can leave whenever you like, as long as you're out before those 90 days are up!

We started our K1 end of July, and I visited the US in September. I was stopped for additional questioning, but the border guy's suspicion seemed to be due to the length of time of a previous visa-free stay (I stayed 89 days with my fiancee) rather than due to 'K1 applicant' flashing up on his screen. I took a letter from my employer and a bank statement, but didn't use it in the end. I wasn't sure when I should say that I had this extra evidence (didn't want to look suspicious), so I just answered his questions truthfully. Hope you don't have any problems! :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

B) hi I'm in a similar postion to your gf. I'm visiting my fiancé in April for two weeks, last time was october for two weeks. I went on visa waiver and they only asked me duration and purpose for for visit then stamped my passport for 90 days all I voluntary showed cos all I had was return ticket. This time in addition to this I'm gunna try and get a letter from my employer as other than the bank statements I don't have others ties and I don't think the big graduate overdraft will look good for me. What I'm interested in is what peoples opions r about the best response to perpose of visit if u haven't filled yet? Last time I said visiting a friend and no problems but then I had no ring and it was my first ever visit. I've a lot of advice on here about it and now I'm just confussed :blink: do u just say vacation as technicaly its true? Or visiting friend or will not stating the exact relationship till asked cause problems :unsure: later? Would love to know what your opions r!

Hannah

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I had a letter from my employer stating how long I'd been with them and what I earned, and that they valued me etc. I did mention the emigrating thing to them but she seemed happy enough to write it anyway, as I'd been to see Shan a few weeks prior and I mentioned I thought it might raise eyebrows me going back so soon again.

So, armed with that letter, my last salary slip etc, the Chicago O'Hare immigration chap asked for... nothing! And didn't even ask why I was in the country. Perhaps I was just lucky it was Christmas Eve, I've no idea.

edit - should probably say, I also took a print out of my NOA1, to show I was intending to do the whole thing above board, just in case they asked.

Stu

Edited by SMB x2

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.