Craigmcd24

Interview documents ! Confused

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey , I understand that there are certain documents I need to take when I go for my interview but what I dont understand is they ask for proof of joint bank accounts proof If im on my wifes medical insurance or car insurance, life insurance .. ... .. but all these require me to have a social security number which I dont have due to the fact Ive not applied for residency yet so the only thing I can take is proof that my name is on the lease for the apartment we live at I don't even think my name can go on any utility bills until I have a SSN. Does anyone know anything on this matter?

What type of visa do you have? Please update your timeline so people here can give you appropriate advice.

If you come in as a K-1, you may apply for SSN. Some people apply as early as a week after their arrival in the US (I did), just as long as you are in their system. For documents you need to bring to your local social security office, please check the SSA website, www.ssa.gov

or try this for starters,

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#how

As for AOS interview evidences, co-mingling of assets or finances are primary evidences.

I'm sure others will come along and help you too.

Edited by krakatoa

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline

I came over on the visa waiver program which gave me 90days here I got married to a us citizen within the 90 days and have now been here for 2 years without a visa. I am applying for residency in Feb of next year so currently I have not sent any paper work away yet and I have not been able to work here for the full 2 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you are out of status you won't be able to apply for a SSN until after you have submitted your residency request (AOS) along with an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and received either the EAD or your Green Card.

Since you will be requesting your residency through marriage to a US citizen, you need to prove the validity of your marriage and that it isn't just for immigration purposes. Part of proving the validity of your marriage is showing that you have co-mingled assets, such as listing your name on a joint bank account, on a credit card, on the lease for where you live, jointly filed income tax, made each other the beneficiary of IRAs, insurance, medical plans, your wills, etc. You should collect documents that cover the extent of your marriage to show that you are indeed a bona fide married couple.

To find out the required documents to submit, read the guidelines that are printed at the top of this forum. Also, go to the USCIS website and download the AOS instructions and forms. Prepare a draft copy and check off the documents as you get them so that when you finally apply you will understand what you are doing and have what you need. You will also need police records and a medical completed to show you are not a criminal and are in good health.

In the meantime, since you are out of status, keep a low profile and don't leave the country.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I was able to add my husband to my insurance without an SSN - but this year, I had to have it, so probably should have needed it last year. If you aren't sending away ppw anytime soon, get an individual tax identifcation number - that is how my husband and I opened an account at Bank of America together and again, if you aren't going to be filing ppw right away, you could have a copy of a joint tax return, which is good evidence.

The only issue is...you married within 90 days of entering on VWP? Do you have proof that you planned to return to your home country? Because if the IO believes you entered to marry and adjust status, you could be looking at a denial due to visa fraud. Many people are never asked for proof of intent, but it's something to be aware of.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Hey , I understand that there are certain documents I need to take when I go for my interview but what I dont understand is they ask for proof of joint bank accounts proof If im on my wifes medical insurance or car insurance, life insurance .. ... .. but all these require me to have a social security number which I dont have due to the fact Ive not applied for residency yet so the only thing I can take is proof that my name is on the lease for the apartment we live at I don't even think my name can go on any utility bills until I have a SSN. Does anyone know anything on this matter?

you can still open a joint bank account even if you dont have SSN, and your wife can put you in her insurance even without it, also an extension of her credit card even if you don't have SSN, credit card companies will still give you a cc. gas company, cable & internet will add your name if you have your wife call.. goodluck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I came over on the visa waiver program which gave me 90days here I got married to a us citizen within the 90 days and have now been here for 2 years without a visa. I am applying for residency in Feb of next year so currently I have not sent any paper work away yet and I have not been able to work here for the full 2 years.

Sorry no way you can get social security number now until you get a green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Also since you came over on that tourist visa and got married, you do have the possibility of being asked at your AOS interview for Green Card why you did not file a K1 or what your intent was for marrying on the tourist visa and if you intended to return to Scotland and get a K1 or wait until allowed to come back to USA, then again you may not, but you are in the gray area and it is possible it could happen, worst case USCIS determines it is visa fraud and you are deported and banned for 5 years or more from entering USA, and best case they do not even look at it and approve you, never know. So if you did not intend to marry and immigrate to the USA on a tourist visa, better have some proof to support your claim just in case.

Some banks, are liberal and allow opening a bank account without social security number, all you have to do is go get a tax payer ID from IRS(numerous illegal immigrant latinos do it a lot) and the bank of choice is Bank of America to get that joint checking account. Probably be your best shot. Some health insurance companies allow you to be added to your spouse's insurance immediately, others make you wait until you are in the USA 12 months, others not until you have green card, it is all different and changing from company to company, just have to call around and check. Same way with credit card companies and utility companies and everything else you use to prove you are married, we noticed in our area of US most companies and local government entities have really screwed down and are actually checking now and trying to verify resident status unlike in the previous years.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Also since you came over on that tourist visa and got married, you do have the possibility of being asked at your AOS interview for Green Card why you did not file a K1 or what your intent was for marrying on the tourist visa and if you intended to return to Scotland and get a K1 or wait until allowed to come back to USA, then again you may not, but you are in the gray area and it is possible it could happen, worst case USCIS determines it is visa fraud and you are deported and banned for 5 years or more from entering USA, and best case they do not even look at it and approve you, never know. So if you did not intend to marry and immigrate to the USA on a tourist visa, better have some proof to support your claim just in case.

Some banks, are liberal and allow opening a bank account without social security number, all you have to do is go get a tax payer ID from IRS(numerous illegal immigrant latinos do it a lot) and the bank of choice is Bank of America to get that joint checking account. Probably be your best shot. Some health insurance companies allow you to be added to your spouse's insurance immediately, others make you wait until you are in the USA 12 months, others not until you have green card, it is all different and changing from company to company, just have to call around and check. Same way with credit card companies and utility companies and everything else you use to prove you are married, we noticed in our area of US most companies and local government entities have really screwed down and are actually checking now and trying to verify resident status unlike in the previous years.

Numerous illegal immigrants and LEGAL non-immigrants PERIOD use an ITIN, there is absolutely no reason at all to be singling out Hispanics/Latinos. Just because someone is brown doesn't mean they are the only background that can be illegal or get an ITIN.

Edited by meow mix

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.