2006-12-13: Sent I-129F to CSC

2006-12-15: Recieved NOA1 in mail

2007-1-04: Touched

2007-1-12: Touched

2007-3-4: Approved

2007-3-14: Send to Amman

2007-8-4: Transfered to Damascus

2007-11-27: Interview: missing some important documents

2007-12-8: Turned in missing documents and 20 pages+ of more proof of relationship

2007-12-23: Administrative Processing

2008-1-17: Interview #2: sent Ahmed away because he didn't know the answer to a few questions

2008-3-5: Administrative Processing

2008-7-18: Sent to USCIS California Service Center for Review from State Department

2008-11-10: Came home from vacation in Damascus :((

2009-10-05: Married

2009-10-19: Filed I-130!!!!!!

waiting...........

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Sorry...continued...

Ahamad entered Syria with a merchant visa to go to his interview this last Tuesday. After his interview, he was missing some documents and he was told to come back with them. So we can get everything they asked for except a new copy of his divorce certificate (he brought an old one). It would require him going back to Iraq and getting a new one because they cannot send it to him. If he does that, he cannot go back into Syria because the visa is a one time thing and there are no other visa he can get to our knowledge. So now we are stuck.

HELP DESPERATE DEPRESSED COUPLE PLEASE

Sara

2007-12-8: Turned in missing documents and 20 pages+ of more proof of relationship

2008-1-17: Interview #2: sent Ahmed away because he didn't know the answer to a few questions

2008-7-18: Sent to USCIS California Service Center for Review from State Department

waiting...........

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't really know if this is even feasible, but is there someone that is already there that can get this for him? Perhaps can you contact your senator/congressman and ask that they can discuss this issue with the consulate? It certainly sounds like this is a reasonable excuse for not providing this. What is wrong with the old one anyway? I know that in Morocco if you get a divorce you have a certain amount of time to revoke the divorce which would make the divorce decree null and void. Is this the same reason?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

I don't really know if this is even feasible, but is there someone that is already there that can get this for him? Perhaps can you contact your senator/congressman and ask that they can discuss this issue with the consulate? It certainly sounds like this is a reasonable excuse for not providing this. What is wrong with the old one anyway? I know that in Morocco if you get a divorce you have a certain amount of time to revoke the divorce which would make the divorce decree null and void. Is this the same reason?

I was thinking of the same thing. Maybe if he mails some kind of ID to Iraq to someone he knows maybe they could get it for him? Or maybe he could talk to the embassy so they could try and issue some documents based on which he can open another visa to Syria?

Removal of conditions...

Filed: Timeline
Sorry...continued...

Ahamad entered Syria with a merchant visa to go to his interview this last Tuesday. After his interview, he was missing some documents and he was told to come back with them. So we can get everything they asked for except a new copy of his divorce certificate (he brought an old one). It would require him going back to Iraq and getting a new one because they cannot send it to him. If he does that, he cannot go back into Syria because the visa is a one time thing and there are no other visa he can get to our knowledge. So now we are stuck.

HELP DESPERATE DEPRESSED COUPLE PLEASE

ask the us embassy to call the us army arent thhey in charge of IRAQ NOW.. ( ok just kidding)

I think you can with MONEY... get someone to pick up a certificate. Find an IRAQI in Syria who has connections and I thhink you will be able to get one to you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Can't your spouse talk to the people at the embassy and explain that he would be risking his life returning? I mean I guess we need some more details. Will he stay in Syria until his visa is issue and then fly to the US from Syria? Or is he planning to return to Iraq and then back to Syria again to get his visa? Hmmm I would try explaining these complexities to the people at the US Consulate. I can't believe they aren't at all sympathetic...then again... Why does he need a new divorce decree?

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Can't your spouse talk to the people at the embassy and explain that he would be risking his life returning? I mean I guess we need some more details. Will he stay in Syria until his visa is issue and then fly to the US from Syria? Or is he planning to return to Iraq and then back to Syria again to get his visa? Hmmm I would try explaining these complexities to the people at the US Consulate. I can't believe they aren't at all sympathetic...then again... Why does he need a new divorce decree?

I wish I could say that the consulates are sympathetic, but I have seen some pretty nasty things they have done to people, knowing full well that what they are requesting is impossible, but they still pursue it. This is why I think it would be wise to have a representative step in to explain. They are more willing to work with those that have say over their budgets than they do with us little people.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

I wish I could say that the consulates are sympathetic, but I have seen some pretty nasty things they have done to people, knowing full well that what they are requesting is impossible, but they still pursue it. This is why I think it would be wise to have a representative step in to explain. They are more willing to work with those that have say over their budgets than they do with us little people.

yeah i agree...they can be pretty nasty sometimes

Removal of conditions...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

well after feeling really desperate Ahamad decided he is going to try and find a friend who can get a new certificate in Iraq for him. The problem with going back was that he thought he could not get another visa back in. So after talking to him I called the Syrian embassy in Washing D.C. and they said he can get another visa. Also, I am going to call the NVC and see what they can do, because the original divorce certificate was approved in the I-129F petition. I dont know why they are being so nasty. The lady in the interview gave him a reall bad time about bringing in the ring he bought be for our wedding ceremony and told him that I should have it a be wearing it because we are suppose to be engaged. Well....we didn't do engagement rings and why would I be wearing our wedding ring if we haven't gotten married yet??

I am just worried because I know he feels at such a loss right now.

What other people can I call to help step in with this process? My Senator? How fast are those situations??

Thanks for the help and support!

Sara

waiting...........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I take it mail doesn't exist there in Iraq - or is very bad. That's one option.

Here's your others, I'd say:

- US Troop - if you could somehow get one to send document via APO system. (good luck with that one.)

Here's the more viable solution:

- Local trucker who drives to Iraq / Iraq-dealing businessman. Ask them if they can do a favor. Bring it back - and pay them when they come back with it. There's plenty of them out there.

-------

There's also the missing documents thing. I'm not 100% sure on it, but it's a valid excuse that you can't get the right document because of a war zone & possibility of loss of life & limb - ( It's valid. Very valid.) You'd need to have a local authority rule that the document is valid for divorce - and he's really, truly divorced. Maybe legalize it in Syria.

Ask the consulate - DOS - and/or your congressperson. It's worth a shot.

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.