Joshua Kaufman

Filing adjustment of status for wife *and* child

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Greetings VJ community! My wife and child entered United States on October 12, we married on November 8 and now I'm preparing to file for their adjustment of status application. I reviewed the helpful checklist here but it doesn't specifically mention details for children of K-1's. Based on what I can find, here's what I think I need to do - as well as some questions - for her child (in addition to the regular instructions):

1. Submit an additional I-485 and G-325A and I-693 for her child.

2. According to the instructions my wife's fee will be $1010 (including the biometric fee) but I'm not sure how much the fee will be for her 10-year-old child. The instructions say "The fee for a child under the age fourteen years will be $600.00 when submitted concurrently for adjudication with the application of a parent under sections 201(B)(A)(i), 203(a) (2)(A) and 203(d) of the INA." Does that include her 10-year-old son if I'm filing them at the same time?

3. Obviously, passport photos for her child.

Is there anything I missed? Any other advice for a new step-father eager to get his family through the immigration hoops? :)

Thanks!

Joshua

Greetings VJ community! My wife and child entered United States on October 12, we married on November 8 and now I'm preparing to file for their adjustment of status application. I reviewed the helpful checklist here but it doesn't specifically mention details for children of K-1's. Based on what I can find, here's what I think I need to do - as well as some questions - for her child (in addition to the regular instructions):

2. According to the instructions my wife's fee will be $1010 (including the biometric fee) but I'm not sure how much the fee will be for her 10-year-old child. The instructions say "The fee for a child under the age fourteen years will be $600.00 when submitted concurrently for adjudication with the application of a parent under sections 201(B)(A)(i), 203(a) (2)(A) and 203(d) of the INA." Does that include her 10-year-old son if I'm filing them at the same time?

Is there anything I missed? Any other advice for a new step-father eager to get his family through the immigration hoops? :)

Thanks!

Joshua

For her child, you submit the required documents except when it doesn't apply to the child.

The fee is $600 for her child if when submitted concurrently with your wife's I-485. No fee for biometrics.

Remember to keep the forms separated. What i did is placing every submission in an envelope and then all the envelopes in a bigger one. In my case each with its own money order.

According to Phoenix Processing office they will take 5 months to process, lets see if they keep their "promised schedule".. (hahaha yeah right)

08/02/2010 ... Send the paperwork to Phoenix, AZ

08/04/2010 ... Paperwork received at 9am

08/06/2010 ... Check cashed

08/10/2010 ... Touched

08/12/2010 ... NOA arrived (notice date: 08/06/2010; mailed on 08/09/2010)

09/04/2010 ... email: RFE sent on 09/03/2010 (biometrics?? hopefully waiting!)

09/08/2010 ... Touched. BIOMETRICS CAME TODAY! (notice date/mailed on: 09/03/2010; biometrics for 09/22/2010 at 11 a.m.)

.......................... Interview notice date: Oct 1, 2010

11/03/2010 ... Interview 11 am!! (PASSED!!!!)

12/30/2010 ... Oath notice (dated 12/22/2010, mailed on 12/29/2010) for 01/20/2011 at 8am!! FINALLY!!!!

Thanks!

Joshua

Is there anything I missed? Any other advice for a new step-father eager to get his family through the immigration hoops?

Have you considered adoption?

Makes things a lot easier in all respects of being a "pop".

Plus she will have automatic US Citizenship after 2 years in your physical and legal custody.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Quick question: I need to send payment for my wife's AOS, her son's, I-765 and I-131, etc. Can I just make out one big check for all of these items or do they need to be separate checks?

@Haole: No, I hadn't considered adoption. I'm sure not it's the best thing right now, but I'll reconsider it down the road.

Timeline

Okay, here's my big AOS application checklist for wife and step-son. Am I missing anything?

Wife's application

• I-485 (with fee of $1010)
  • G-325A
  • I-693A
  • I-864

• Copy of 2007 income tax return
  • Proof of employment (letter from employer and pay stubs)

• I-765 (with fee of $340)

• Copy of Passport
  • Two passport photos

• I-131 (with fee of $305)

• Copy of Passport
  • Copy of Visa
  • Explanation of circumstances that warrant issuance of advance parole

• Copy of passport
  • Copy of K-1 visa
  • Copy of I-94 (front and back!)
  • Copy of birth certificate with English translation
  • Copy of NAO2 "Approval" for I-129F
  • Certified copy of marraige license
  • Two passport photos

Step-son's application

• I-485 (with fee of $600)
  • G-325A
  • I-693A
  • I-131 (with fee of $305)
  • Copy of passport
  • Copy of K-2 Visa
  • Copy of I-94 (front and back!)
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Two passport photos

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Separate fees are not required for I-131 and I-765. From USCIS website:

If you filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, on July 30, 2007, or after, then no fee is required to file a request for advance parole on Form I-131 and/or employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the I-131 and I-765 concurrently with your I-485, or you may submit the I-131 and/or I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-131 and/or I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of the receipt for your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, as evidence of the filing of an I-485.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Okay, I'm stuck. Do I have to file an I-864 for both my wife and her child?

Yes.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

So I eventually was able to get a letter from my step-son's natural father, which permitted my step-son to immigrate to the United States (originally posted about here).

Do I need to provide the same documentation in the AOS application package?

Timeline

And another: how many passport photos do I need to submit per applicant? I-485, I-765 and I-131 all ask for them, and the checklist on VJ says the G-325A needs them as well. So is that eight total? Or are the G-325A the same ones as the I-485?

(Surely there are more people on VJ who immigrated with children! If so, I would *really* appreciate your help! :) )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.