mysweets34

POSSIBILITY OF DIVORCE AFTER FILING I-175 TOGETHER

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys... Here is my story and i am hoping that i can get some insights from some of you that have been through this.

I will be married 3 years next Feb. My husband and I have been separated for a few months trying to work things out..although there are alot of issues we love each other very much but it doesn't em like we will be getting together anytime soon. There have been many bad things that have happened that cannot just be forgotten just like that.. I am sure many of you who have been married and divorced know what i am talking about.

Anyways, he is the USC and we both applied to remove conditions and then things got worse from there.... And to make matters worse.. i got a letter calling me to the interview ( I-175). I know that i can probably persuade him to come with me.. but i don't want to commit perjury during the interview in case they ask about our marriage, living conditions etc etc... Is there anyone out there with some insights.... Can i postpone the interview and the try to file with the waiver? how do i that, do i have to file everything all over again? If i do file for divorce now, it will probably be until June before it is finalised.. I am truly confused and i hope someone on this forum has gone thru this... please feel free to share your opinions and experiences.

Thanks you aa

:help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hey guys... Here is my story and i am hoping that i can get some insights from some of you that have been through this.

I will be married 3 years next Feb. My husband and I have been separated for a few months trying to work things out..although there are alot of issues we love each other very much but it doesn't em like we will be getting together anytime soon. There have been many bad things that have happened that cannot just be forgotten just like that.. I am sure many of you who have been married and divorced know what i am talking about.

Anyways, he is the USC and we both applied to remove conditions and then things got worse from there.... And to make matters worse.. i got a letter calling me to the interview ( I-175). I know that i can probably persuade him to come with me.. but i don't want to commit perjury during the interview in case they ask about our marriage, living conditions etc etc... Is there anyone out there with some insights.... Can i postpone the interview and the try to file with the waiver? how do i that, do i have to file everything all over again? If i do file for divorce now, it will probably be until June before it is finalised.. I am truly confused and i hope someone on this forum has gone thru this... please feel free to share your opinions and experiences.

Thanks you aa

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I wish I had some insight, but this is certainly not an area I am familiar with in any respect. I did want to wish you all the best and hopefully bump the topic up so that someone might can post a helpful reply!

2007:

February - May: extended visit to States, engagement.

5/4: I-129F sent (Texas Service Center, forwarded to California Service Center)

5/11: Petition received at California Service Center.

5/16: Check cleared. NOA1 online (no hard copy received yet)

6/19: NOA1 hard copy arrived FINALLY

7/16: Sent off for Police Certificate (U.K.)

8/22: TOUCHED due to phone call (RFE Trick, was told case wasn't assigned yet)

9/20:APPROVED!!! After 127 days from NOA1 and 139 days from filing date.

10/23: Spoke to Kelly at NVC who said they should have received our petition by now. She advised I send a copy of our NOA2 directly to the NVC office, which I did immediately. :-)

10/26: NVC RECEIVES CASE!

10/30: NVC SENDS CASE TO LONDON CONSULATE

11/1: Consulate receives case in London AND sends out Packet 3.

11/6: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate (we'd downloaded the forms on VJ and had them completed already)

11/22: Appointment for Medical.

2008:

01/08: Interview scheduled for 10 a.m. APPROVED!!!

02/01/08: Stephen comes to America!!!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawl.gif

Filed: Timeline

Thanks you aa

Consult an immigration attorney if you have any doubts about the way to proceed, but if you are called for an interview and your USC spouse does not attend with you, your petition could be denied. A jointly-filed I-751 cannot be approved for a party if a divorce has occured, but the law does not prohibit couples that are headed towards divorce from filing the remove conditions jointly. The joint application is a statement that the marriage was bona fide, not that it will endure the test of time. That said, one must be careful not to misrepresent the status of the marriage or living arrangements, however. Are you the one seeking the divorce?

If you file a waiver, yes, the filing will not be considered complete without the appropriate fees.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Yes, i would be the one filing for divorce.. i know the timing is unfortunate but pretty much has to be done.. my husband just told me that he his bi-sexual.... and yes he has been seeing "other" people, and also told me that he has a 5 year old daughter.... we have been married 3 years and he is telling me this NOW, so as you can see i am not too pleased.... I think he is sorry and would be willing to come to the interview with me.. but as i said i dont want to lie..... I am wondering can i take him to the interview and tell them our situation.. or is the prospect of a divorce a deal breaker with having to remove conditions. Thank you all for your empathy and advice

:-)

Filed: Timeline
Yes, i would be the one filing for divorce.. i know the timing is unfortunate but pretty much has to be done.. my husband just told me that he his bi-sexual.... and yes he has been seeing "other" people, and also told me that he has a 5 year old daughter.... we have been married 3 years and he is telling me this NOW, so as you can see i am not too pleased.... I think he is sorry and would be willing to come to the interview with me.. but as i said i dont want to lie..... I am wondering can i take him to the interview and tell them our situation.. or is the prospect of a divorce a deal breaker with having to remove conditions. Thank you all for your empathy and advice

Would you not have married had you known these facts prior to the marriage? If the answer is yes, then his "misrepresentation" of his sexual orientation and prior activities could make your eligible for an annulment.

If you have any questions, then a consultation with a immigration attorney is advised.

In my opinion, no the prospect of divorce is not a deal-breaker for removing of conditions, as long as it does not finalise while a jointly-filed petition is pending. If he is willing, then by all means have him attend the interview, and vouch for the genuine nature of your interests in marrying him in the first place. Naturally, since you will be the petitioner in the divorce, the best situation, as I see it, is to wait until the interview has been conducted and the I-751 approved, and then proceed with terminating the marriage. If at any interview the AO asks of the status of your relationship (and aside from the random "pick" of an occasional couple by the computer, most couples called for an interview at this stage are either short on evidence or telegraphing some other issues to USCIS) then definitely declare that the marriage is headed for termination based upon his failure to declare, at the outset, his preferences.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am so sorry that you are having to go through that. He should have been more truthful about his lifestyle. I do not have any insight to your situation as I am new at this also, but if he is will to be agreeable during this process and it benefits YOU, then go ahead with the proceedings. File for divorce later and besides who says that the divorce will be quick. Just my 2 cents.

My heart truly goes out to you. That is a scary situation for any woman to be in.

Teena

I'm sorry you are going through this (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

you are a very nice and kind person. not many people would consider the status of a man who has lied and hurt them. My heart goes out you and I wish you luck. Take care and continue to be strong.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Thanks for your support guys.. i have an appt with an attorney i will let you know what happens.. i think the way things are progressing now.. I will have to postpone the interview.. then file for divorce then file a waiver to remove the conditions without him. It is getting complicated.... i know he would be willing to come with me to the interview... but this is making me nervous because i might say something to him then the refuses.. you know what i mean.. i have to walk on eggshells because i have this interview hanging over my head and he knows that it is important to me so he is using it to ask for all kinds of ridiculous demands and i will not have it.. i know i married him for love and i have all our joint documents to proof it.. so I will be strong and do what i have to do but i will not be held ransom by him even though he is the cause of most of our marital problems

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.